Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CamerAlert iPhone App Snaps Mobile Speed Camera in Action
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CamerAlert iPhone App Snaps Mobile Speed Camera in Action
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: CamerAlert iPhone App Snaps Mobile Speed Camera in Action Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comRemember how useful POICapture was on the TomTom's for capturing new speed camera locations? If so, then you will probably remember how annoying it was when TomTom pulled support of their SDK that allowed developers to create add-on software like POICapture.

Since then there hasn't really been an easy way to capture camera locations 'on the go' that include details like camera type, speed and heading in just a few simple clicks. Well, that was until we released CamerAlert for the iPhone. Since it's release just a few weeks ago we have had nearly 4,000 submissions from CamerAlert alone! Practically all of the current M6 SPECS cameras were reported and/or confirmed by CamerAlert users massively speeding up the verification process.

Today's story is slightly more interesting, but only because it has some pretty pictures! Click the link below to read about a recent submission from Lifetime member, 'mrdaveone'.

Yesterday morning 'mrdaveone' used CamerAlert to snap a photo of a mobile speed camera van he passed just south east of Birmingham. The photo is taken within the app itself and because of this it is geo-tagged and can provide instant confirmation of the location being submitted. To support this we also check the various map views which, rather unsurprisingly, also confirm the location beautifully!

The camera in question is now active in the database as MOBILE:80809@40. 'mrdaveone' was driving south west at the time so marked it as being on the other side of the road (the heading is automatically submitted to us). Take a look at the images below (click for full size):

Firstly, above, we have the actual photo submitted via the CamerAlert app. It is clearly on the other side of the road, next to an industrial building with some trees in the middle of the road. Let's take a look at the map shall we?

The blue pin shows where 'mrdaveone' was at the time of his submission. The layout of the road confirms the photo's geo-tagging accuracy - it is clearly a dual-carriageway with a physical gap between. Now we move to satellite view:

You can see the trees that line the central reservation and also the presence of an industrial-type building in the background - which can also be seen in the photo. Finally we take a look at the OpenStreetMap view of the area:

This time we can even see a name for the building, GEA Buck Systems, and a quick internet search confirms the location of the company. Also note that the position of the bus stops differs from those in Google Maps. Both OSM and Google get the bus stop data from the same source, the only difference being that users of OSM will have corrected the location data of the sites. It is perfectly feasible that the van, in fact, parked at the bus stop on the north east bound road.

All in all it is quite clear that CamerAlert is an ideal way to submit accurate camera locations with photographic evidence (you can also submit a voice note to describe the area) which allows us to quickly confirm the location. This then allows everyone to benefit from accurate locations and a very fast turnaround from sighting to being in the database! Any CamerAlert user can now download an update and this site will already be in there. Normal database users will, however, have to wait until next Wednesday!
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the photo was taken by the driver with his iPhone whilst driving and PGPSW is happy to admit to accepting submissions that way. I see......
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've split this thread as it's off topic.

it isn't a discussion of PGPSW app development policy, it is a discussion of the existing app.

see here for the replacement thread: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=82013

MaFt
foxdie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
So the photo was taken by the driver with his iPhone whilst driving and PGPSW is happy to admit to accepting submissions that way. I see......

PGPSW aren't responsible for people breaking the law to take a photo, and on top of that, they have no way of knowing if said submitter is responsible for a vehicle at that point or not.

It's the users responsibility to make sure they make submissions safely and without breaking the law, not PGPSW.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:

actually, no. the submission details shows the recorded speed as 0mph so the user was not driving. also, had the user been driving the iphone camera would have blurred rather a lot anyway.

MaFt
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

foxdie wrote:
spook51 wrote:

PGPSW aren't responsible for people breaking the law to take a photo, and on top of that, they have no way of knowing if said submitter is responsible for a vehicle at that point or not.

A quote from the report, "'mrdaveone' was driving south west at the time...."
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, 'had been'...

you get the gist...

MaFt
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if this was me and I was stopped at traffic lights, I would still consider myself
Quote:
"driving south west at the time...."
Wouldn't anyone?
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the gist but (in my view) there are some risky statements in the report. You only need a road safety numpty to pick up on it and accuse PGPSW of incitement (new camera sites being rewarded by Lifetime membership) and you could be in deep do-do.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's already a lifetime member so there's no 'reward' as such.

and if the road-safety brigade want to join in then let them. i'll happily defend the article until i'm blue in the face.

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 - Seriuosly. It's down the the individual taking the photo to make sure they are responsible. No-one else....
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine by me. I've had the misfortune to have to occasionally work with some rabid road safety zealots in the past so it was just a friendly warning.
mrdaveone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odeon mrdaveone I stop my car to take the photo of the van , I was not driving at the time
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt, you should mention that the sign in the background is missing on the StreetView map. Laughing

As they say, a picture paints a thousand words. Very Happy
Brodit ProClip mount
mrdaveone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:

spook51
I was not driving as was said , in fact I stop my car to do work at a house on the other side of the road, when the photo was taken, I would not use my phone or camera while driving.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CamerAlert on Apple Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: