Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld.com release CamerAlert on the iPhone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld.com release CamerAlert on the iPhone
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: PocketGPSWorld.com release CamerAlert on the iPhone Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comPocketGPSWorld.com are pleased to announce the release of CamerAlert on the Apple AppStore. Priced at £0.59 it is available now from the Apple AppStore.

CamerAlert is a Speed and Red Light Camera warning system for iPhones based on the world renowned PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database. It provides both audible and visual warnings as you approach a camera. When you are in a section of SPECs or Average Speed Cameras CamerAlert keeps track of your average speed to ensure you are aware of your average speed between each camera. To cut down on the number of "False Alerts" you are only warned for cameras that monitor your direction of travel.

CamerAlert works in two different modes: Map and List. In Map mode the main display is a map with the cameras positioned on it. This can be shown either as "North Up" or "Course Up". The list mode simply shows a list of all the cameras in the area, highlighting the ones that you are approaching.

CamerAlert comes preinstalled with a Speed Camera Database. To insure you have the latest camera information we also offer a free Latest Database Guarantee which allows you to download the latest database after product registration. CamerAlert allows you to use your existing PocketGPSWorld.com membership to keep the camera data up to date. With weekly releases of the database it is important to download the latest speed camera information to remain safe.

If you see a camera that is not in the database then you can report it using CamerAlert. This feature can also be used to change information about a camera already in the database i.e. changing speed or direction information.

Click here for more details and the CamerAlert user guide.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When you are in a section of SPECs or Average Speed Cameras CamerAlert keeps track of your average speed to ensure you are aware of your average speed between each camera.

I LIKE THAT Razz Razz . I've been meaning to ask if that facility is/could be provided with your 'standard' PNA files, but thought it was a no-no. Any chance on Garmin, TomTom, Navigon Question Question
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sharp eyed readers have already pointed out that there is a typo in our company name on the Apple AppStore. We informed Apple last night and are hoping they will change it soon.
AMWebby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the iPhone application. When will you be releasing this on other platforms, or at least make downloads of the database from mobile phones possible?

Currently Nokia commands a 37% share of the smartphone market, over twice the iPhone's 17%
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMWebby wrote:
Congratulations on the iPhone application. When will you be releasing this on other platforms, or at least make downloads of the database from mobile phones possible?

Currently Nokia commands a 37% share of the smartphone market, over twice the iPhone's 17%

That's very true but Nokia users form only a very small proportion of our speedcam downloads.

With regard to mobile downloads, until there are apps that can download, extract and install our data on the mobile device then there is little point in offering them. Chicken and egg

We're only a few people, these things take a very long time and this is our first foray so let's not get ahead of ourselves. If this proves popular then we will consider other platforms.

Last edited by Darren on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:29 am; edited 2 times in total
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the architecture in place to enable mobile downloads, and have had for some time. All that is required is the applications to utilise this capability.
AMWebby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Speedcam on the symbian platform, which works very well, although it isn't as slick as your iPhone app. I could certainly use the facility to download the database from the mobile phone instead of the fiddly way I have to do it now.

It is chicken and egg, if you don't offer it people won't use it or will go elsewhere. Road Pilot have launched their app and I'm just waiting for them to update it for the E71 and E72
twotonemark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Congrats! Reply with quote

Congratulations guys I imagine a lot of hours have gone into the making of it!!

I've downloaded and can't wait to get out and try it. Linked to my account smoothly and updated the database. A really nice user experience Cool

Great price too Exclamation
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Congrats! Reply with quote

twotonemark wrote:
Congratulations guys I imagine a lot of hours have gone into the making of it!!

I've downloaded and can't wait to get out and try it. Linked to my account smoothly and updated the database. A really nice user experience Cool

Great price too Exclamation

Thanks for the feedback.

It has taken us about 18 months to get this released, including a couple of re-writes before we were happy with it. Hopefully have got it pretty close to being right.
cdrider1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read through the guide and looks impressive. If I had a 3G iPhone I'd definatly buy.

One other thing this may be useful for is reporting potholes etc. Perhaps a future release could log the location of a pothole (or whatever) similar to logging a camera. A user could then email the co-ordinatesto the local council or whoever.

I've been hitting lods of motorway potholes recently and there isn't any easy way to log their lcoation at 70MPH Razz
AMWebby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the iPhone wasn't such a triumph of slick marketing over technology I'd be tempted to buy one just to use your app, it's that good. Clearly your experience in this field has alerted you (pun intended) to all the functionality that needs to be in such an app. I'll stick with Speedcam for now and am awaiting the E71 release of Road Pilot with interest but, if you ever want to port it to the world's largest smartphone platform, I may be able to help...

Last edited by AMWebby on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! Well worth the wait. Downloaded it, registered and linked to my account without any problems. Can't wait to try it live. I especially like the look of the SPECS average speed display.

I think you've got the price and fucntionality exactly right!
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats PGW folks Smile Great to see this released!
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am holding back from purchasing this App for the time being. I have a 3G phone but find that the mapping can be quite a few meters out from my actually positioning? for example I have tested this driving the A30 in Essex my map positing often sends me off road and across fields etc. Also the 3G maps have a lengthy lag. I will stick to my trusted Tom Tom 720 and pocketgps cameras for now!
TT Home version 2.7.5.2014
iPhone 4S with CameraAlert
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it a sad fact AMWebby that
Quote:
triumph(s) of slick marketing over technology
so often win the day - IBM (v Burroughs in my dim and distant days), VHS (v Betamax), MS (v Mac), etc. It only goes to show (even though I've always rightly distrusted them) just how vital sales/marketing people are to the profitability/survival of companies Evil or Very Mad Razz

Even, possibly yours Exclamation Cool

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: