Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap Active10 - Firmware version 1.400 Now available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap Active10 - Firmware version 1.400 Now available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
For the record, I didn't write that. Davidor did.

apologies - looks like I messed up the cut & paste Sad
goon525
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else disappointed that Satmap haven't come up with a bugfix yet for the freezing problem in Firmware 1.4??
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,but I suppose it is the run up to Christmas busy time and all that.

I imagine these things take longer than most of us would like/appreciate.

Ian
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug Update Reply with quote

mow wrote:
I have been in contact with Satmap Tech Support over this issue.

I was told that following the last part of the installation was vital i.e.

Important - to complete the upgrade please disconnect the Active 10 from your computer and then go to the Main Menu, press the Settings button, press the Default button, press the Yes button and finally press the Clear All button.”

This I tried several times and yes all worked until I turned the unit off and then rebooted when the freezing re occurred.

I have most recently been instructed to re load the version 1.4 and new platform via the SD card and then undertake the "clear all" instruction as per the final instruction on the download page. Then immediately download the soft ware update from their web site and undertake the install again, remembering the all important “clear all” part.

Result again all OK ,no freezing until the unit was turned off and then on again and back comes the freeze exiting any change made in the “Set Trip Data”.

The end result is a freeze showing “Loading Information Please Wait”

The unit has now been recalled to Satmap

Update to follow

Mike

OK My unit has now been returned by Satmap (by my request)

They have found a problem in some units with freezing in the "set trip data" option

They say they have now found a solution and I (and others) will be able to download new version soon. (how soon is soon we will see)

Mike
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PS I've just read that they run their own cm national network called OS Net. It sounds like it's an augmentation sytem like EGNOS though, correcting GPS signals rather than offering a direct triangulation service.

Anyone know any more?

As I understand it (and I might well be wrong) the OS use a network of fixed gps receivers which the field ones are link to by radio. As they know the precise location of a fixed station, if the gps says it is 10 metres north of the known position say, then they know that the field unit will also be reporting a location 10m north of its real location. Therefore they can apply the correction to the field unit and get an accurate location, which I believe is down to about 5cm.
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidor wrote:

As I understand it (and I might well be wrong) the OS use a network of fixed gps receivers which the field ones are link to by radio. As they know the precise location of a fixed station, if the gps says it is 10 metres north of the known position say, then they know that the field unit will also be reporting a location 10m north of its real location. Therefore they can apply the correction to the field unit and get an accurate location, which I believe is down to about 5cm.

It seems that differential GPS and augmentation system are interchangeable terms. I thought that things like the OS Net actually triangulated from the base stations (as if they were GPS satellites with fixed positions) and that this was called differential GPS. It apparently is an augmentation system similar to EGNOS, albeit a localised, denser, terrestial and much more accurate one. EGNOS comprises a wider-spaced pan-european ground-station network and is an SBAS (satellite-based augmentation system), although it can be distributed by internet too.

I'm trying to find out more about the OS Net, be interested to find out how it achieves its sub-5cm accuracy.
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
'm trying to find out more about the OS Net, be interested to find out how it achieves its sub-5cm accuracy.

I've just been having a look at the OS site. Amongst other bits I found this:

"By downloading data from the OS Active GPS network via the Internet, and processing this with your own GPS data, you can obtain precise ETRS89 coordinates of your GPS survey stations. Accuracies as high as 1 cm (horizontal) are possible anywhere in Great Britain, and 5 cm horizontal accuracy is routine, using dual-frequency GPS survey equipment and observation periods up to 1 hour (depending on local conditions and the distance to OS Active stations). Vertical accuracy is usually 2-3 times worse than horizontal accuracy, depending on several factors, including the software used."

Now 1 cm accuracy is impressive!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: