Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MN4 TMC problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MN4 TMC problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: MN4 TMC problem Reply with quote

Hi,

I received my MN4 + BT + TMC kit a few days ago and the GPS works fine and I have been able to navigate. But the TMC won't work. The TMC indicator stays on red and only occasionally for a short time switches to orange (but only a few seconds). Has anyone else experienced this problem or know of a solution?

My Setup:
HP 4150
MN4
BT module
TMC module
tetley202
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent you a PM with questions and suggestions to help. Look forward to hearing you've cracked it Smile
pgph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Thanks, but I can't find any message in my inbox - can you try again, or just post here?

Thanks again!
Philip
tetley202
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

i will try to remember what I sent last night. The advise will depend on the answers to the questions

FIrstly the questions relating to solving the problem you have with the TMC

1. Do you live in an area where normal classic fm reception is good?

2. Have you tried the unit out of the car, to improve the reception capability and negate issues with degradation of signal inside the car as this will help determine if its a unit problem.

3. when you had the partial status were you driving near the coast where potentially you could have picked up a weak sig from across the channel?

then some questions to help me prepare the car for my delivery next week;

4.could you email /post the user guide pdf file from the cd?

5. how long does the unit run for when on just its internal batteries?

regards

Martin
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys/girls it is indeed more usefull to sort these problems out in the 'open' otherwise why visit a forum...so my thanks for that...

A number of the questions raised are good, but please note that when you drive you get data through at different frequencies.

When you say the status has changed from red to orange, did the counter go up? I.e. were you getting any messages? Behind the red TMC symbol does it have an exclamation mark or a number? When you tap the TMC symbol you get another windows, this window contains the frequency it is listening to or scanning for a frequency and any content of messages received...
What does that say?

Please note that TMC is not an always-on stream like the GPS data. Messages will come in in bursts...So if you are in a quiet area of the country and trying it out at a time of the day when no traffic incidents are happening you won't get any data...

For example I generally leave at around 4.30 in the morning...Nothing happens, TMC is quiet...At 6.30 a few messages...at 7 a few more...than at 8am all hell brakes loose and I get upto 90 messages...Then by 9 it is dying down again and the message count is going down...Stays generally around 20 for during the day....

So if you don't have the exclamation mark (I have that now which means no receiver is being recognised) leave it in the car...Let it perform its autoscan and settle in and it will kick into live....

Oh and have you checked the basics...i.e. made certain that the TMC receiver connected tickbox is ticked in setting...That helps normally...

Don't hesitate to ask for more questions...
pgph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

First of all, thatnks for taking the time to try to help, i appreciate it!

Tetley -

1. Yes, reception is fine and I have alos tried it out in two different countries where TMC is available.

2. Yes, I have also tried it outside the car.

3. I have to explain something about my problem - it seems that I don't really get a signal. Basically, it is always red. But very occasionally, it switches to orange, for literally 1, max 2-3 seconds. So I think that it is trying to connect between the pda and the tmc module, not the tmc module and the messaging signal.

4. I don't have it close by now, but i'll see what I can do, but to be honest, there is nothing to prepare for the car . all you need is a cigarette lighter!

5. I have not tested this myself, but I have read on another forum that the receivers last for up to around 4 hrs. But I cannot confirm this.

dejongj -

When it switches, the symbol stays the same - I think we are talking about different versions - I have MN4, I don't have the older ones but basically, the symbol is a triangle with an exclamation mark and usially there should be numbers next to it, but none appear.

If I tap it when it's red, it says it can't find a TMC module - check if the GPS receiver is attached. If I tap it when it is orange, the tuner window appears, but nothing happens, it doesn't do anything. when i tap ok, the symbol is red again.

I have also left the receiver on (the GPS works fine, so I have used it to navigate) for extended amounts of time (2-3 hrs) and nothing changed - it should go to permanent orange at least shortly after power on i believe.

Finally, the settings in the programme seem to be ok - i have chosen Navigon Modular in the GPS menu and the default baud rate. I have alos tried the Navigon with TMC option with the same result.

Again, thanks for all your help, but I am beginning to think I have to send it back. I have tried the German Navigon forum and all the experts are stumped as well... Guess I got a dud :-@ waited 2 months for it to be delivered and now this. Plus I'll have to send my functional GPS in because it could be the TMC module or the connector on the GPS mouse...

Cheers and have a nice weekend!
Philip
tetley202
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip
thanks for the explanation. I can better understand what you are saying. In essence the TMC initialisation is failing vrather than TMC data.

Given that the initialisation starts automatically (well supposed too!) have you tried combinations of the following when the software settings are as you first described (navigon modular):

a. power down both pda and gps. Power up PDA, power up GPS with TMC module fitted

b. power down both pda and gps. Power up PDA, power up GPS with without TMC module then after a few mins insert the TMC module

c. same as a and b but ensure the internal battery in the GPS is completely flat so it really is a cold reboot

d. Have you had a really close look at the contacts on the TMC module, looking for signs of grease, dirt

e. extracting the tmc module when pda and gps are powered up and reinserting a couple of time but leaving a minute between extractions

e. Finally if you are in Midlands you are welcome to try the unit in my GPS when it arrives (UPS now say it should be tomorow (Monday)

regards
Martin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: