Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New French Speed Cameras Predicted For UK Roads
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New French Speed Cameras Predicted For UK Roads
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: New French Speed Cameras Predicted For UK Roads Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comThe Daily Mail has reported speculation that the UK authorities may be preparing to introduce "a new breed of hi-tech sneaky speed cameras".

The speed cameras take the form of inconspicuous steel posts, are multi-lane, don't flash and can differentiate between speeding lorries and cars, even in the same lane. On many roads, lorries have a lower limit than cars and have therefore previously been able to evade detection by driving under the overall limit.

The cameras, nicknamed 'Supertraps' were invented in France and are due to be trialled on French roads before, it's predicted, reaching the UK.

The Mail reports French motor magazine, Auto Plus, saying that the French government intends to introduce them within a year with the likelihood of the UK following within months.
culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With so much potential to make money from a 'captive audience' cost seems to be no object with speed cameras.

Will they be obliged by law to publish the positions of these cameras?

How long will it be before EU outlaws GPS speed camera databases because of the loss of speed camera revenue they cause, and if these are safety cameras as they keep claiming, why are they hiding them?
Robfish1985
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe everything I read in the Daily Mail! Seriously though, technology marches on and speed cameras are and will be no exception to this. The authorities will make use of the latest technology and you can't blame them for that, as most of us use it in our everyday lives. The point about "hiding" cameras is taken, but we will have to wait and see on that one since the new cameras in question are not even over here yet.

As for speed camera databases, as far as I'm concerned they serve a very useful purpose. I try to observe the speed limits, but it's all too easy to exceed them and the PGPSW database enables this motorist to be made aware of danger areas and not end up feeling aggrieved at being hit by a fine and points when I try to do my best to be a law-abiding motorist.

Len
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robfish1985 wrote:
I believe everything I read in the Daily Mail! Seriously though, technology marches on and speed cameras are and will be no exception to this. The authorities will make use of the latest technology and you can't blame them for that, as most of us use it in our everyday lives. The point about "hiding" cameras is taken, but we will have to wait and see on that one since the new cameras in question are not even over here yet.

As for speed camera databases, as far as I'm concerned they serve a very useful purpose. I try to observe the speed limits, but it's all too easy to exceed them and the PGPSW database enables this motorist to be made aware of danger areas and not end up feeling aggrieved at being hit by a fine and points when I try to do my best to be a law-abiding motorist.

Len

Law abiding motorists don't make the treasury as much money so a few more slot machines in the name of safety are precisely whats needed clearly.

When you look at the state of the country's finances it's hardly surprising the motorist will take it up the ***** as usual, we are the easiest targets to raise money for Gormless Brown's obliterated economy.

Would the source be more credible if it came from the Grauniad?? Laughing
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...you know how a certain 6'+ Journalist type is gonna react to THIS one...! Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent the report to a mate in Australia, he came back with the following.

Quote:
Don’t like the speedtrap cameras!! We’re fortunate here that it is LAW to post 3 warning signs “Speed Camera ahead”, 100 metres between each sign and between the last sign and the speed camera (gives 300m to slow down – or check your speedo)!

Not much chance of slipping up 'down-under' so money saved, plus he mentioned petrol there is $1.18 (66p litre).

I guess we are REALLY lucky in the UK. Evil or Very Mad
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't they simply stipulate that all new cars must have speed limiters on them activated by sensors at the side of the road. As you pass a 30mph sensor you will be limited to 30 until you pass a faster sensor. Simple.

Get that working and a whole industry of camera makers and operators, and fine issuers etc, would be unneccesary. We would all keep to the speed limits all the time. The hospitals and mortuaries would be empty, insurance premiums would be a few pence, if even needed and the transplant programme would grind to a halt.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit "Big Brother", that, innit?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:
Why don't they simply stipulate that all new cars must have speed limiters on them activated by sensors at the side of the road. As you pass a 30mph sensor you will be limited to 30 until you pass a faster sensor. Simple.

1) not everyone has a brand new car
2) even if the government paid for retro fitting on all cars then there would be enough people around who could disable it
3) there are times when speeding would be the safer option eg you are almost past a wagon on a dual carriageway who suddenly starts to swerve there are cars behind you. if you slam your brakes on hard enough to allow the wagon to get back past you then you will have a load of cars in your back end; the safest option is to put your foot down a little bit more, maybe going over the speed limit, to get past the wagon safely.

MaFt
culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sheer cost of fitting speed control transmitters to every speed limit sign in the UK or burying loops in the road boggles my mind (in some places around where I live the speed limit changes from 60 to 40 back to 60 and then down to 30 within a mile or two).

It would be easier to do it with a GPS based system fitted to the vehicle and put the cost entirely on the buyer of the car (the satellites are already up there and working).

This would be a good idea for police cars as well, but for the far better reason of detecting when they are speeding while not answering a call.
maxbyte
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: New French Speed Cameras Predicted For UK Roads Reply with quote

Hi, I have looked at many arguments recently.

I was born in the UK over 50 years ago.

A few points .

we drive on the left...it is the law
our children go to school ...it is the law
we are allowed to vote ...it is the law
if we want to drive we need to be able to read ...it is the law
we have speed limits to protect children and others ...it is the law

Personally I beleive in HIDDEN speed traps (yes traps) the law states a speed limit, KEEP TO IT, and stop the moaning, If you speed and get caught -THEN PAY UP AND SLOW DOWN.

Tony M
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New French Speed Cameras Predicted For UK Roads Reply with quote

maxbyte wrote:
Personally I beleive in HIDDEN speed traps (yes traps) the law states a speed limit, KEEP TO IT, and stop the moaning, If you speed and get caught -THEN PAY UP AND SLOW DOWN.

indeed, but isn't it better all around to teach people to stick to the speed limits and to drive more carefully? at £60 fine sent by a machine doesn't achieve this. making roads slower (chicanes, speed bumps), putting offenders on 'safer driving' courses etc would improve road safety although the general consensus seems to be that these cost money rather than make money so aren't usually used - instead speed cameras are put up cos the council makes money from it. when the government stopped feeding the money straight back to the camera partnerships / councils we suddenly had a couple of councils scrapping speed cameras cos they didn't make any money from it then... THAT is why people generally don't like them, NOT because it stops them from speeding.

i agree though, if you speed you should get punished. but driver education has a better affect on driving habits than a £60 fine.

MaFt
ChristopherW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, blanket laws aren't always effective. If a rozzer pulls you over for edging over the limit on a country lane, he/she'll take into account road conditions, your previous driving experience, demeanour, whether road conditions were adequate to support the speed you were driving at, if there was anybody else around, etc etc etc. I regularly drive on winding country lanes with a blanket 60mph limit, but it's patently unsafe to do 60 even if you know them like the back of your hand.

A camera has none of this subtlety or, the more importantly, the discretion. It's a machine so will always do as it's told irrespective of the conditions.

Referring to blanket speed limits again, there's stretches of dual carriageway on the outskirts of Birmingham that are posted as 40mph - even though there's absolutely no danger to do 60 or even 70mph on them. Just money-making pure and simple right there.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: New French Speed Cameras Predicted For UK Roads Reply with quote

maxbyte wrote:

I was born in the UK over 50 years ago.

A few points .

we drive on the left...it is the law
our children go to school ...it is the law
we are allowed to vote ...it is the law
if we want to drive we need to be able to read ...it is the law
we have speed limits to protect children and others ...it is the law

How are these relevant?
(oh and numbers 1,2,3 and 4 aren't true)
1.You can drive anywhere you like on the road if it is safe and sensible to do so
2.You can educate your children at home
3.Several classes of people are not allowed to vote
4.To take your driving theory test if you have dyslexia or other reading difficulties you can ask for a voiceover in one of 21 languages which allows you to hear the theory test instructions and questions through headphones. You can also request to have up to double time for the multiple choice part of the theory test.

As for #5....Most people wouldn't argue about the need for speed limits, what we object to are INAPPROPRIATE speed limits (and also the sheep-like belief of some people that "our masters" know best).
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until you get any particular speed limit repealed, you should stick by it.
But you are right that some are silly. It does not mean that all or even most are silly, and therefore what is necessary is a sea change in the attitude of drivers such that their first inclination is to obey any particular speed limit.

Yet because of misguided soap boxers, motoring journalists and tv presenters, some drivers think it is clever to exceed speed limits.

What worries me most is the blatant disregard of most drivers for the 30 limits. It is very easy to understand that hitting a child at 30 or less causes serious injury, but at 40 causes death most times.

The reason for a speed limit is not always apparent from driving through. We have had local speed limits of 40 put in a village on a main road, and driving through it you would not necessarily understand why. Yet there are houses on both sides, and there have been many injuries over the years from fast cars driving through. Another 50 limit is on the A690 dual carriageway, and is mostly ignored. There was a local battle for years to put it in due to accidents at junctions caused by speed. Such accidents will happen again, because we are in Durham where the local police policy is to not use fixed speed cameras, so drivers think it is safe to save a few minutes.

Yes, sometimes speed limits are daft or appear so. But the majority are for a reason. I happen to feel that 70mph is outdated (I was driving when de-restricted meant just that) given the improved safety of so many cars, and 85 is more realistic. BUT, I stick to it because it is the law.

Attitude is the thing to change. I would like to see more convictions for dangerous or careless driving, for the tailgaters, the lane hoggers and the lane weavers, those without lights or using parking lights in the dark, or fog lights when it is clear. If drivers had the attitude that they would drive safely for the conditions (truly safely, not what they consider safe for them because they are a *clever* driver), there would actually be no need for enforced speed limits. Drive like a stream of you are coming in the opposite direction as well, and you might slow down because that idiot coming at you has just overtaken when there wasn't really a gap, too fast and almost hit you.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: