Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - DIY Speed Camera Slows Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

DIY Speed Camera Slows Traffic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: DIY Speed Camera Slows Traffic Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comThe Daily Mail has reported that 60-year-old builder Tony Allen has constructed a fake speed camera in an attempt to slow down passing motorists. He certainly wasn't the first to build a fake one and he won't be the last. Even the authorities are prone to fielding dummy boxes.

In this case, Tony was already sick of seeing motorists speeding though his village, Moulton Seas End, Lincolnshire, but when one driver ploughed through his garden wall causing £3,500 damage, that was the last straw. He set about building his own speed camera replica and positioned it in his front garden.

It's reported that traffic is now moving slower past his house, but police have warned him there may be consequences. Although technically Mr. Allen is doing nothing illegal, police spokesman James Newell is quoted as saying: 'If there's a serious crash there and someone claims they were distracted by the speed camera, he could be liable for civil action."
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should put some water and nuts in the top and call it a bird table.

I like some of the comments wondering what the difference between this and a real one is as far as being a distraction is concerned.
Brodit ProClip mount
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Gerry, perhaps every single fixed, mobile, SPECS, redlight, etc camera should be reported as a distraction for drivers so if there's ever an accident in the vicinity of any camera then perhaps the owners of the camera would find themselves prosecuted! Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tweeted a similar comment yesterday. If he can be warned that he risks prosecution for distracting a driver, what's to stop the same warning to safetycam partnerships.

Tongue in cheek of course, I expect it's the flash that is of concern in his dummy cam but there are cases where drivers have been surprised by genuine speed cams. One of note resulted in a fatal accident.
Trevor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If speed cameras can cause a distraction perhaps people should speed up to get past the distraction quickly and if they then get flashed and fined take out a civil action against the council that put it there.
UKSNAPPER
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: DIY Speed Camera Slows Traffic Reply with quote

The comment that the fake camera could lead to litigation if someone claims it was a distraction is spurious.
Any road sign,bill board or for us men,nice pair of legs, could be called a distraction to a road user,as could information signs on motorways.
Its just another jobs-worth talking and being paid to do so by us tax payers.
If a fake speed camera does slow down drivers that are speeding inappropriately that's fine with me,there are plenty of roads where exceeding the posted speed limit poses no danger to anyone
culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So according to police, if I get distracted by a speed camera and crash I can take action against the people who put it there - the local authority or county council.

I can see how far I would get with that one, they would spend £100's of thousands of pounds (of tax and council taxpayers money) defending the case rather than risk 'setting a precedent' for others to do the same.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the fact that it's yellow, that box in no way resembles a speed camera so I doubt anyone would actually be fooled. For one thing, it's about half the height of a speed camera, which are all installed with the bottom of the box being just over 8ft off the ground. His looks chest-height.

Last edited by NickG on Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shinymera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best things he could do is to leave a child's ride-on toy or small bike near at the curbside.

I once saw it on a program and virtually all cars slowed when they thought a small child was near by.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinymera wrote:
One of the best things he could do is to leave a child's ride-on toy or small bike near at the curbside.

I once saw it on a program and virtually all cars slowed when they thought a small child was near by.

In France they have black silhouettes of people at the roadside where a fatal accident has occurred.

It's very effective at making you think about your speed. I'd suggest we replace cameras with them but there would be no income and of course for many cameras, they aren't located at the sites of fatal accidents anyway.
freedy50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theyre only jealous because they wont be receiving any money from their own cameras, if they have any down the road from this one, as everyone will be slowing down for this one first!!!!!! Rolling Eyes
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Greece they put some miniature churches (like scale models) in places of the road where a fatal or a serious accident happened. In fact some of them they have a candle inside and the family that put it there goes and lit the candle every night (if the accident happened recently)
You can see them very often on countryside roads on dangerous bends!

For the comment that "the fake camera may distract the drives and cause an accident" I can't see how it can be any different from the other cameras installed by the local authorities?
I think this is plain hypocrisy as obviously this camera will not generate any income to the authorities Evil or Very Mad
culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in South Africa in the 1970's they used to leave mangled vehicle wreckage on a roadside plinth at the site of accidents, and this surely got your attention more than all the 'slow down' or speed camera signs. I somehow doubt that this method would be thought suitable in these PC ridden times we now live in, people are obviously soooh sensitive these days - but it worked.

In Taiwan they leave the persons shoes at the side of the road, sometimes in a little shrine.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the white-painted "ghost" bicycles placed where a rider has been killed.
http://www.ghostbikes.org/
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
There has been a home made camera on the side of the road, west bound on the A44 near Capel Bangor, before Aberystwyth. Its has been there for quite a few years?
Regards,
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: