Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best iPhone SatNav App? - Register Your Vote
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best iPhone SatNav App? - Register Your Vote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your favourite iPhone SatNav software?
Co-Pilot
18%
 18%  [ 21 ]
G-Map
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Google Maps
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
IGo
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Navigon
36%
 36%  [ 41 ]
Roadee
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sygic
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
TomTom
34%
 34%  [ 38 ]
Other (Please Comment)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 111

SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Best iPhone SatNav App? - Register Your Vote Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Pretty much as per the question. What is your favourite iPhone SatNav software?

Thanks
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderators: would you consent to this being a sticky?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've gone for navigon, at least until copilot adds qwerty keyboard

MaFt
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got TomTom, Co-Pilot and Navigon. Most impressed with Navigon so far.
Skoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: iGo for me Reply with quote

I've got Motion GPS Drive, iGo, and (recently) Navigon.

I've been happy with iGo except for the lack of updates (mostly live search and traffic). I've used Motion X to fill in the gap.

I recently purchased Navigon and tested it out.. and have put in a request for a refund.

I'm fear I must be missing something since it's so highly rated.
Here's some of the issues I have with Navigon North America (3GS).
- The in navigation update speed is pretty jerky and uneven-- about as slow as Motion X, whereas iGo is very smooth.
- The 3-D terrain add-in makes it even slower (iGo has a similar feature-- at least in mountainous areas, that stays very smooth)
- The display is not very clear in navigation mode. The road names aren't all that clear, the colors don't contrast well, and the display is very "busy" which makes it hard to see while "on the road"- at least compared to iGo.
- Some of the routes I got were really wonky- one took me by a main East-West county road about 5 miles, turned and went through a slow village, then cut back up to the county road to continue on.
- Updating is slow and turn prompts come late. I've had it give me the turn prompts well after I've passed the street, then as it tried to recalculate it got 2-3 side streets behind. At best the turn prompts come at the last moment.
- It doesn't (as far as I can find) make it easy to see estimated time of arrival, etc.. without pushing the small area- there doesn't seem to be a way to have it all up at the same time.
- Some of the buttons (like returning from the iPod view to the map) are too small or hard to do while navigating, for example you have to push "More..." to get to the Contacts list button- that should be on the main screen.
- the audio book mode for audio playing is weird-- it fades out and resets the play head 5 seconds or so, then fades back in after the navigation prompt is done. It's much better if it stops the playback cold, IMO.

The live traffic add-on is nice, and the live search feature is a plus too- though even here the interface could be better- why not do a unified POI search, that will search both databases at once, or have a "Find in Google" button after the built-in POI search is complete?

What are some of the things Navigon users like about it? I'd like to hear from some folks who also use iGo, because I'm a bit baffled....
Thanks!
Scott
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Navii, Co-Pilot, Navigon and N Drive. Sad, I know! I use Co-Pilot the most for its clean and fresh looking screen. Cameras are okay and traffic is fine although I think the price of adding it is a bit much. As much as the app itself!
Navigon is also fine except I don't like the dark colours it uses as the drive screen. Apart from that, it would be the preferred app.
The Navimii is out of date as there have been no updates for a while. Apart from this, another clean looking screen.
N Drive has been reported as not working on Iphone 4 although it is okay for me. I have the 3GS with the 4 on top, whether this makes any difference I do not know.
All in all, nice to have one unit for everything. And any of these applications is fine for what they do.
Doug
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
I have the 3GS with the 4 on top, whether this makes any difference I do not know.

huh??!!
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have too many, but just bought TomTom for the traffic as not impressed with Navigon's traffic. Tom Tom seems much better than when I first read reports.
To clear a route - route profile/ clear route - a bit like clicking start to shutdown Bill Gates!

Mike
TieJustice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: FREE for me Reply with quote

i use navfree as its free UK/Ireland for iphone as its FREE works well as the maps are stored on the phone so no 3G is required and did i say it's FREE
it has Post code finding every thing i need.

there is a paid version that has speed camera's but i don't need that as i use a radar laser detector/jammer device (Europ/USA) as i don't trust that EVERY single trap is ever going to be on any system and there's NO WAY your going to know that there is a camera in the unmarked car flowing you is there? so i just keep it to the limit, but there is always that time you miss that sign or you don't know the area.

PS i also have the roadhawk that you did a right up some time ago but there is a new version that they have out that has 2 camera front and back much better for them tail gaiters that sit on your bumper.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: FREE for me Reply with quote

TieJustice wrote:
i use navfree as its free UK/Ireland for iphone as its FREE works well as the maps are stored on the phone so no 3G is required and did i say it's FREE
it has Post code finding every thing i need.

it uses OpenStreetMap data which is very patchy. Postcodes are very very limited (and sourced from FreeThePostcode.org). However, it looks as though they are using a postcode database from elsewhere as one that I know is not available directly through OSM/FTP... Having said that, there is no reference to any other company's data being used...

Still, I wouldn't rely too much on the mapping!

MaFt
NickJig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Spyglass, it's by far my favourite nav app. It works extremely well when offline with just gps signal and top-notch for off-road navigation, hiking and camping. It's crammed with all that necessary data like gps coordinates, current azimuth, altitude, speed, potential arrival time to your target and much more. https://itunes.apple.com/app/spyglass/id332639548?mt=8&at=11lLc7&ct=fs[/url]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: