Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom XL IQ stuck at the TT splash screen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom XL IQ stuck at the TT splash screen
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jondc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Tomtom XL IQ stuck at the TT splash screen Reply with quote

I have had nothing but problems since purchasing this unit with freezing whilst in operation, not seeing the traffic device and then not accepting updates.

I have reformatted the drive under TT support instruction and have tried to reload the system software due to my backup being corrupt. The unit just keeps hanging whilst trying to upload and now I have just tried to reset the unit and it is stuck at the splash screen. TT support are not responding to me and I am getting frustrated with their lack of communication.

Other than throwing a 2 month old item in the bin is there anything I can do... TT have said they will not replace it and I am unable to get a rectification from them....

Any advice greatly appreciated.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is their reason for not repairing/ replacing the device - It is supplied with a 12 month warranty so it should be fixed at their cost - Mike
jondc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have said they will not replace it as it is over 28 days old. They have not been able to offer a repair to date and have referred it to 2nd line support. I am currently waiting for a resolution but nobody is responding to my questions or letting me know what is happening and they have no time scale.

I am frustrated with waiting for a response from them and having to chase them to get something done. I just need a usable unit and was hoping someone on here would know or have the required software/knowledge to help get it sorted quicker than TT are. I just need to get the unit operational again as I am reliant on it.

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a phone call rather than e-mail as they tend to respond better this way, 0845 161 0009 if you get a good support person they should resolve the issue, if its a poor one then try again a little later in the day as who answers the phone will make a big difference to the quality of advice offered - Mike
jondc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have called them but still not getting a solution. A number of support staff have said they will call me back but this has never materialised. So I am still none the wiser as to how/when or if this issue is going to be resolved. The lines are too busy for anyone to answer now.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you in the UK?

If you are local I will have a go at sorting it for you.
jondc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the offer Andy but looking at your location perhaps I am a bit to far away...... I am near the East Midlands Airport in Derbyshire
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - near my parents - a good couple of hours away with traffic!

If you have no valid backup then you have nothing to lose.

Connect your XL LIVE to your PC - make sure HOME is completely closed, no icon in the system tray. Locate your HOME download folder and delete everything in the complete folder apart from the map folder.

Go into My Computer, find the drive letter that is your TT and right click and choose format.

Call it INTERNAL, make sure you are formatting as FAT32 and make sure it is a full format, not a quick format.

When the format has finished close the format window, right click on the drive letter and choose eject.

Your TT will now reboot and will probably show a red cross or similar on it.

Now start up HOME and let it detect your XL LIVE.

Run Update my XL download and install ONLY the application. When it has finished it should reboot.

Eject it from within HOME and when it reboots do not connect to your computer - it should say no maps found or something similar.

Turn it off at this point and disconnect from your PC.

Post back if you managed to get this far - I can get all the missing files to you apart from your map, hopefully you have downloaded a newer version under LMG or Map Update Service. HOME may even offer it to you again.
jondc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your help Andy.

I have carried out all of the above and the unit freezes whilst trying to upload the map and locks everything up on the computer. I have to soft power off my PC to get it working again.

However I have finally I got hold of a guy at TomTom today who has took it on to sort the issue out. He has arranged for the unit to go back for repairs. Replacement would have been better but hey better than nothing. Heres fingers crossed that it will not take to long. Hopefully I will get by without it for a while.

I can not believe it has took this long to get them to respond and take positive action.

Many thanks
Jon
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try taking it back to where you bought it from and demanding a replacement?

Most retailers will swap out if you are only a matter of days outside 28 days.

How are you uploading the map - is it a fresh download or an old download or from a backup?

If you have the My Documents/TomTom/HOME/Downloads/Complete/Map folder still intact with a downloaded map you can install it manually using WINRAR - HOME is useless for installing maps lately.

Use WINRAR to extract the large zip file to a folder on your PC called Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB and then use WINRAR to extract the meta.dct file from the activation.cab file into the same folder.

Now delete the Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB folder from your XL and then copy across the folder from your PC.

Make sure HOME is closed and any antivirus software you have is completely disabled during all of this. Also, make sure you are plugging in to the USB port on your PC and not using a hub and all other USB peripherals (except keyboard and mouse) are disconnected.

If you get some success I will upload a RAR file of the entire contents of an XL LIVE minus map folder to rapidshare so you get all of the splash screens, raster files etc back that will be missing.

TT repairs seem pretty quick lately - about a 7 to 10 day turnaround.
jondc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

I have reformatted the unit and installed the the operating program. The unit states no maps found on start up
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post from Andy details what you need to do next:

AndyVaughan wrote:
How are you uploading the map - is it a fresh download or an old download or from a backup?

If you have the My Documents/TomTom/HOME/Downloads/Complete/Map folder still intact with a downloaded map you can install it manually using WINRAR - HOME is useless for installing maps lately.

Use WINRAR to extract the large zip file to a folder on your PC called Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB and then use WINRAR to extract the meta.dct file from the activation.cab file into the same folder.

Make sure HOME is closed and any antivirus software you have is completely disabled during all of this. Also, make sure you are plugging in to the USB port on your PC and not using a hub and all other USB peripherals (except keyboard and mouse) are disconnected.

As the device is booting to the no maps found message things are looking up, as the device working, all you need to do is get the map folder back on the device - Mike
jondc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am downloading a map now, so fingers crossed.

Hopefully your map extract technique will work as it is the map installation stage that has always failed.

I may have to get back to you for further assistance.

Many thanks
Jon
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is looking up if it boots OK with no map on it.

Once you have the map downloaded cancel out of HOME trying to install the map and go with my manual process.

Doing it this way WINRAR will flag up if it is a corrupted download as it will not extract the map if it is corrupted.

Post back if you are having probs - one of us will give you help.

Make sure your AntiVirus is completely disabled at the install stage.
jondc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Fingers crossed Reply with quote

Well Andy thanks for all your help.

I know have a map and software on the unit and am I am doing aback up as I type this.

Hopefully the fault that started all this has been rectified..

Many thanks
Jon

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: