Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map update fails
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map update fails
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lencuff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Map update fails Reply with quote

Got a TT XL ONE and decided to go for the map update service as it seemed reasonable. When I try to do this I get

ERROR: 408/#https://community.tomtom.com/payment/initiatePayment: Error from server: Map certificate validation failed for map Western_Europe_1GB
Map certificate validation failed for map Western_Europe_1GB
Error code: 408

Plus a load more text that I can't post here as it thinks it's HTML?

Time: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 20:07:53 GMT

So although the maps/TT work fine is tihis an ebay rip? The unit is a refurb but came in what looked like a genuine TomTom box?[code][/code]
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unusual!!

Look Here.

I've had same problems with my TT's. This solution does work!

Link edited for clarity - Oldboy
lencuff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but I haven't downloaded any maps? The maps I have, Western Europe 1Gb came on an SD card with the unit. Card was still sealed with the TomTom seal so I am assuming it was the genuine article?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're confusing us. You say you went for the map upgrade service and we know that comes as downloads, so when you talk about error messages, we assumed you meant after downloading or whilst trying to download a map upgrade.

I'm now guessing you mean the error messages happen when you try to join the map upgrade service - you haven't yet joined up or paid?

Can you try and clarify your problem for us please?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
lencuff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here we go!
I bought a refrurb ONE XL complete with the 1Gb western Europe maps. All works fine and mapshare also works fine. TomTom Home tells me the map is out of date and offers the update. So I click on the update and that's when I get this error message. The TomTom unit works fine so I am assuming the maps are valid?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm lost on this, so let's hope somebody with more knowledge comes along.

I'm slightly wondering if this is down to you having a device with a locked SD card and it won't let you download because you have to buy a new map on a card? Or because you formatted that card previously? But I really have no idea.

lencuff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The card IS locked to the map. I tried copying it to a bigger 2Gb card and it fails. I managed to corrupt the card supplied but after a format and copy the original data back ( I actually made a backup !!) it worked fine. Seems TT do this and use the 'SD' part of the card to lock it to the map?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could copy all the files and folders from your backup to the new BLANK 2GB card and then delete the map folder, this is the folder named Western_Europe.
Insert the card to the device and switch it on, if it fails to boot up then the issue is with the read/ write speed (the card is too slow and is being rejected by the device) - Solution is to purchase a faster card from a reputable place (not e-bay).

If the device boots up and presents a "Map Not Found" screen the card speed is fine, connect it to the PC and use Home to purchase/ download and install a new map - Mike
lencuff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD card is fine (2Gb) works on everything else I've tried. Your suggestion surely means I have to pay for a map download which I already have?
The 1Gb WE maps works fine and MapUpdate also works fine so why should I have to pay close to £60 for a map I already have? I just wanted the updates!!
The SD card is a genuine Sandisk card NOT from Ebay.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're back to the confusion business again!

Updates - define, please.

A) Mapshare corrections downloads? Some of us won't touch these with your barge pole.
B) New maps - there ain't no such thing as updates to your existing map other than Mapshare corrections. Map updates = new maps = cost.

lencuff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here we go again!
Tom Tom Home tells me my maps are 2 quarters out of date and offers to bring it up to date for £15.90 and then offers me 4 quarterly updates as well for a total of £47.90. It's when I select this option that I get the errors and it fails to update.

Does this make sense now?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you haven't got the latest map and you'll have to pay to download the latest one and to be enrolled into the map update service which will provide 12 months of new maps, one roughly every quarter.

So now do as Mike suggested and see how you get on.

lencuff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so now it's my turn to be confused Confused Why does Home offer me an update and 4 more quarterly updates to bring my maps up to date if I have to buy it first? It knows which map I have and offers me the update for that map? Is Home wrong/confused?

I tried to copy the actual screen/pop up but that failed miserably!

This is what it says when I click on add maps --

Do you want to update your current map?

You currently have a map of Western_Europe_1GB which is 2 quarters old. The sooner you get on board, the fewer releases you will miss. We can help you upgrade to the latest map for only £15.90 and then ensure that you have a new map for the next 12 months.

The TomTom Map Update Service is a smart way to have the most accurate and reliable map, always.
It gives you every single release of your map over a fixed period, for the equivalent of just GBP 7.95 per quarter. That's four new maps in a yesr!

This means the total cost for 12 months is GBP 47.70. Buy the Map Update Service now or click 'Back' to go to the full list of maps.

If I select "Yes, update my map" that's when I get the failure so why is it offering it to me when it seems from what you are saying I have to buy a new map before I can get this?[/list]
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this instance Home is working correctly,well, up to a point. You are not purchasing a new map you are upgrading to a newer version of a map you already own. I know that doing this involves downloading and installing a complete new map but in TomTom's eyes you are performing an update rather that outright new purchase.

Lets not waste time playing around with words and meanings, at the end of the day you want to update your map to the latest version for your device and are prepared to pay for the service so why isn't it working?

Can you try again with your AV and Firewall turned off and let us know what happens when you do this - Mike
lencuff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried all of that, even took the card out of the ONE and put it in a card reader. Home works fine but I get exactly the same error when I try to update. Looks like I'll have to buy the same map to get the update service!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: