Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - T-Mobile G1 and CoPilot Live 8
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

T-Mobile G1 and CoPilot Live 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiggo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so here's the latest on what I've found.

ALK kind of confirmed that you should get more warnings from cameras without heading data, which makes sense, but suggested that cameras not displaying in 3d mode when they were visible in 2d was maybe something to do with them being too close together and I'd just have to live with it. Which is garbage.

I have found that if you want to install both the PGPSW main and pmobiles, you should merge them to a single .csv first. If you don't, the import process seems to lock up.

Having tested on cameras with known good directions (I added a few direct to the .csv to be sure), I can confirm that they do warn correctly, but that seems to make others go mental (4/5/6 warnings at a time).

There is a definite difference bewteen the CoPilot data and ours - the PGPSW set announces it is installing about 11,000 POIs, the CoPilot database says it's installing some 23,000 even though it actually seems to have fewer sites. Unfortunately, I can't find a utility that will let me open and read .ezp files...

Using the PGPSW files (which appears to have more cameras with heading data) makes cameras disappear from the 3d view. Irritatingly, this includes ones I drive past every day. They show in 2d view, and I have also discovered if you zoom in to max, they show in 3d view too.

I have just created a new version of the PGPSW file with all heading data removed, as CP7 threads indicate the thing gets confused about what to do with it, so we'll see if that makes a difference. I haven't seen CP7, but the more I read, the more I believe that CP8 is just an Android port of CP7 rather than anything new. Anyone confirm this?
Wiggo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so ALK Support have passed this one on to development, as it seems there may be an 'undocumented feature' here.

As an aside, does anyone know how to open .ezp files? They definitely have different/more info that the PGPSW ones.
escott74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a go at this - downloaded the copilot 7 consolidated UK files, merged them with the merge utility, then imported them along with the logo here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:Fixed_speed_camera.svg

When starting copilot, it said it was importing 10900 or similar, now doing a quick browse I can see the icons are displayed correctly in 2D and 3D view.

I haven't had a chance to go out and test properly yet (been having a few beers while doing this Very Happy ) but will test it out on Friday.

Edit - should have added I have copilot running on the G2 Touch (HTC Hero), and that I downloaded the image file as a png.
Wiggo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The G1 definitely works better in portrait mode - most cameras display properly that way, though it still has some oddities. The strangest so far is two camers showing on the display maybe 1/2 mile ahead. As I get closer to them, the furthest away disappears. It is then 'invisible' as I pass it, but I still get the audio warning.

Anyway, ALK are treating it as buggy. How's the G2?
escott74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggo wrote:
The G1 definitely works better in portrait mode - most cameras display properly that way, though it still has some oddities. The strangest so far is two camers showing on the display maybe 1/2 mile ahead. As I get closer to them, the furthest away disappears. It is then 'invisible' as I pass it, but I still get the audio warning.

Anyway, ALK are treating it as buggy. How's the G2?

Pretty good so far - my first Android phone after using Windows Mobile for 6 years, in most cases it improves on WinMo functionality. Main downsides are that it doesn't play as many movie formats as WinMo with CorePlayer, and the bluetooth functionality isn't as good due to a number of profiles which aren't supported yet.

Moving from TomTom on WinMo to Copilot has been pretty good so far - I seem to have a few less frustrations with Copilot, although to be honest both meet my needs. Both have rubbish on screen keyboards though, and both could do with paste functionality, or at least some integration, for example to allow you to click on a postcode in another app and fire up the program.

Speed camera integration with the pgpsw database seems to have worked, especially since I reduced the warning to 250 yards - before then it seemed to issue multiple warnings, maybe though this was because I am in London where you are never more than 500 yards from one. Still need to test it properly though.

All in all happy with the move!

edit: One thing to add. I found that on my first proper journey, London To Portsmouth, the unit seemed to lose satellite connections more often than I've experienced in the past with WinMo phones - not in built up areas as you might expect, but on the motorway with clear line of site. Didn't cause a big issue as it generally came back within 30 secs, but could be a pain if you are near a turn. Will keep an eye on this.
IMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a HTC Hero running Android with Co-pilot 8. At the moment no cameras. I would prefer PGPS Database but will settle for anything, but Copilot 8 for Android doesnt seem to support cameras at the present.

Anyone got any set instruction on how to download a database that will work with a decent idiot proof instructions on how, if yes any chance of a link from her to the website etc.

Wish I had my Safety Camera Security Blanket whilst driving.

Regards

Ian Sad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggo wrote:

Having tested on cameras with known good directions (I added a few direct to the .csv to be sure), I can confirm that they do warn correctly,

Did you add the correct headings to the PGPSW database via the submission page so everyone with directional cams can benefit Very Happy Very Happy

Nice blog, interesting reading
IMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your instructions for use on Android state

2. Windows Mobile: Browse to \Storage Card\COPILOT\EU\Save and delete all files beginning with 'ao'
Android: Browse to MOBILE_DEVICE\EU\UK\save\user_places\safetycam and delete all files beginning 'poi'

I cant find a file called safetycam, can someone give me decent instructions on how to get the safetycam on my phone so that I can use this database.......please before I get nicked.

Thanks
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMB wrote:
Your instructions for use on Android state

2. Windows Mobile: Browse to \Storage Card\COPILOT\EU\Save and delete all files beginning with 'ao'
Android: Browse to MOBILE_DEVICE\EU\UK\save\user_places\safetycam and delete all files beginning 'poi'

I cant find a file called safetycam, can someone give me decent instructions on how to get the safetycam on my phone so that I can use this database.......please before I get nicked.

Thanks

IMB, read this thread and specifically the first page where all is explained.
IMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea, I have re-read the 1st page.

I have managed to install the Copilot database and it works, now all I have to do is work out how to download the PGPS Database and install it.

The thread is interseting, do I install ov2 files or csv files, do I install the separate files for individual cameras or the one big file with all cameras; the threads not clear as there seems to be a lot of trial and error with the guys who did the intial work.

The instructions on the camera page states as below

Browse to MOBILE_DEVICE\EU\UK\save\user_places\safetycam and delete all files beginning 'poi'.

This seems to be almost every single file in the directory, when I tried it nothing happened. In my old WM6.1 device I deleted all the OA files which was about 10 in total and the csv file imported was converted to replace them.

Any additional instructions on which files to delete would be much appricated.

Regards

Ian
Wiggo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of a cross post, but FWIW:

1. Go to copilot/EU/UK/save/user_places
2. Delete the 'safetycams' folder and all its contents (this will delete the ALK database)
3. Copy either your .ov2 or .csv file to copilot/save
4. Restart CoPilot

If your POI database was called myPOI.csv or myPOI.ov2, you will now have a new directory: copilot/EU/UK/save/user_places/myPOI that contains your new files.

If you import a .ov2 file, when you start it will ask you if you are importing speed cameras, so say 'yes'

If you import a .csv file, it will assume that you have imported speed cameras.

When you want to update the PGPSW database, delete the copilot/EU/UK/save/user_places/myPOI directory (or whatever you called it).

Tip:
It doesn't make any difference to CPL8 whether you use a single file or 10, they all show as speed cameras. If you try to load 10 files at once, however, the Android version barfs and stalls after integrating the first one, so I use the single .csv file (and manually copy and paste in the pmobile .csv first to make a single big .csv with everything in it).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: