Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Announce new x50 Range (550, 750, 950)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Announce new x50 Range (550, 750, 950)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gluey wrote:
Why don't they just fix all the bugs on existing models instead of another model launch.

Playing Devil's Advocate here.

Because there is no profit in that. Investors are a nasty bunch who funnily enough demand a return on their investments or else.

If you don't keep investors happy then you won't have a company with which to develop updates full stop!
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if they don't keep the customers happy?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will go to competitors who will be also be loosing customers back to TomTom due to not keeping their customers happy. The customers just go round and round....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gluey wrote:

Actually most of 'em will just moan and gripe and do nothing. I know, I do it myself as I know in some cases there is no better option even if it is troublesome. Better the devil you know etc.
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be.
It just hacks me off to think that they put more and more into these units before fixing old bugs.
Most of the features added to the basics of navigation just don't work.

Bluetooth - problems
Voice command - problems
Self reseting units
rds tmc - problems

No information about what each update does.
Map corrections take years to correct
Etc Etc

These problems have been reported many times by many people.
TT ignore it and bring another model out with the same faults!
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gluey wrote:

Unfortunately the punters remain loyal long after the investors would have cut their losses...

Whatever your personal experience with their products, TomTom have achieved the enviable position of having their brand synonymous with the product they manufacture; most of us have a Hoover rather than a vacuum cleaner, and so it is that many have a TomTom, rather than a sat nav (and I'm not suggesting all here are in this category, but the average punter who will never attach their PND to a computer, update it or use 70% of the features isn't as fanatical as us here!).

Having achieved this remarkable feat, it will take a significant period of time before the hang-over of poor support and performance truly takes effect and brand 'TomTom' becomes sullied with the results of their true performance.

PGPSW contributors are, for want of a better term, 'fan boys' (I'm one!) - quick to see the value and equally quick to deride poor treatment and performance. We're somewhat fussy, but make up a tiny proportion of the user-base. While we may turn our backs quite quickly, the loved ones we've bought devices for will not be as quick to realise that a 'TomTom' isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Edit// And as Darren says, most of us critics (me especially) end up displaying much more loyalty than the company deserves.
superref_63
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new menus including a frequent destinations menu have been added to calculate a route to a frequently visited destination easier and faster.

This seems good idea not really enough to buy another new device - wonder if they will make this available to other devices?

andrew 730T
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superref_63 wrote:
new menus including a frequent destinations menu have been added to calculate a route to a frequently visited destination easier and faster.

I saw that too, but wouldn't you say that sounds a pretty subtle difference from the "Recent destinations" menu we've had since the year dot?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or even Favourites?
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using a 720 ,so it might be time to upgrade ,but I think I will wait at least 3 months after they come out and see what people think of it 1st
W90BHP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick_1959 wrote:
I wonder if they have corrected the dreaded hands free phone stutter?

Mine only stutters when it's running on battery - if I plug it in to the cigar lighter then the stutter disappears...

M
iPAQ 3970 : Navman Sleeve : CoPilot 4 : Somewhere in the loft
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt865 wrote:
I'm not to worried about the early adoption of my 740 already leaving me with a supposedly lesser device.. I don't see anything significantly new. Mostly just re-marketing and some slight reworking of current functions.

I've read the spec and I can see nothing that's dramatically different from my 740. The alleged better speaker and RDS-TMC in the dock might be useful, but it's not enough to get me to "upgrade".

These models should have been branded x41, not x50.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest for the phone handsfree I wouldn't want to revert back to using a TomTom for this feature, since I purchased and installed the iO-Play kit to the car I have never had a single issue with making or receiving a call, better still the sound from the handsfree comes through the car speakers.
Couple a decent car handsfree kit with an XL IQ Live and I firmly believe you will have a better all round solution that does work, add an RDS-TMC receiver for those times when you travel to countries devoid of Live services.
A few new menu screens, a revised navigation screen with the speed display moved to the left, we first saw that earlier in the week with the Fiat advert, although interestingly the Fiat advert doesn't appear to have the traffic side bar on screen which would indicate a non Live device with no RDS-TMC connected. We will have to wait for more news on what that device is, as well as the full specifications of the x50 range when they are first seen at the trade shows etc - Mike
annanside
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: TomTom new 50 series Reply with quote

Still no sign of TT offering a height/width/length/weight restrictions add on feature for larger camper vans etc. I have a TT740 and have had to add these features to POI by subscribing to the 'low bridges' site on a pay basis. TT has these features on its database but will only release them as part of a fleet package which is prohibitive for the private subscriber. This feature is now being offered by Snooper throughout much of its latest range so TT will need to sort their act out.
darrenintheeast
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
I'm still using a 720 ,so it might be time to upgrade ,but I think I will wait at least 3 months after they come out and see what people think of it 1st

Thats the position am in now....

Just waiting to see if a want a 740 before giving up my ONE XL

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: