Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Yet more TomTom activation woes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet more TomTom activation woes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glennk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Yet more TomTom activation woes Reply with quote

Hi,

Over the last few months I have had need to contact TomTom for support. And in each case this has been a long, drawn out frustrating experience. The email support is a complete and utter waste of time. I have only ever had issues resolved after waiting, and waiting, and waiting to get through to the telephone support desk.

The product is great, but the support, especially the activation process is a nightmare and has me seriously considering the alternatives. here is a log of my most recent experience (I have changed some details for security reasons)...

Customer 24/06/2004 01.33 AM

Hi,

I have just tried to retrieve my activation code for my copy of "TomTom3 Great Britain & Major roads of Europe". Your activation site is telling me that the product (4444 4444 4444) is already activated for device 'XXXXX XXXXX'. But my device is 'AAAAA AAAAA'.

Can you please explain why the wrong device code seems to be recorded against my product code?. Please note: I have only ever had one device and that is 'AAAAA AAAAA'.

The following is a copy of the text I received on the activation page

Quote:
Thank you. "44444 44444 44444 " is a correct product code for TomTom Navigator Great Britain.
You now need to find your device code. This code is displayed on the screen of your handheld device when you start the application.

Note: this product has already been activated.
If your device code is XXXXX XXXXX then click here

Response 24/06/2004 11.08 AM

Dear Mr knowles,

Thank you for your email and for informing us on this issue.
Where did you buy the product? Has it been sealed when you bought it?
This - a new product already being activated with device codes not known to you - indeed should not happen. Please return your product to the reseller, since re-selling an already used product should not happen at all.
I hope this issue will be solved through returning this and receiving a new product.

Thank you for your understanding.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer 24/06/2004 10.54 PM

I purchased this direct from yourselves as an upgrade to my TomTom 2 software & Maps!

The order number is ******.

Since the new version took a very long time to arrive, I would rather you either correct the activation database or send me a new product key.

As The software was supplied sealed in a box, I can only assume there has been some sort of error in the activation server.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Glenn

Response 25/06/2004 11.41 AM

Dear Mr knowles,

Thank you for your e-mail.

You recieved your navigator 3 upgrade on the 3 of june 2004 at 1:19 from UPS trackingnumber *******************
The product code was activated on 8 of june at 22:52:33

Activate product code

Product code: 44444 44444 44444

TomTom Navigator Great Britain

Activation code: ????? ????? ?????

Device code: XXXXX XXXXX

Activation date: 2004-06-08 22:52:33.217

Remarks: Installer

If you can not activate on www.ttcode.
Please fax any kind of document that can prove you have a new, repaired or replaced device, explaining the need to activate again. Alternatively you can update your question on our customer support website, and attach a scanned copy of your document to this incident.

Please supply the following information, either via fax ((+31)20-4469447), addressing our Activation Team, or update your question on the website (My TomTom), in both cases including the following information:
- your proof of repair or proof of purchase,
- your product code,
- your device code.

If using a fax, please also mention:
- your email address and
- the reference number of this email communication.
Please use a printed and no hand-written text in case you provide the product and device codes.
As soon as we have received such documentation, together with the device and product code, we will gladly activate your TomTom Navigator software again.

With best regards,

Customer 28/06/2004 12.35 AM Hi,

I only have one PDA, and that PDA has a device code of 'AAAAA AAAAA'.

I have '5' TomTom products with the following 'product codes'...

TomTom Navigator 2 Great Britain: 11111 11111 11111
TomTom Navigator 2 Western Europe: 22222 22222 22222
TomTom Navigator 2 French Riviera: 33333 33333 33333
TomTom Navigator 3 Great Britain: 44444 44444 44444
TomTom Navigator 3 Western Europe: 55555 55555 55555

ALL of the above are registered for the same PDA (AAAAA AAAAA) This is the only PDA I have, and is the only PDA I have ever had. It has never been repaired or replaced!

There is one thing different about all of the above products. The "TomTom 3 Great Britain" is the only one where I let the software activate itself during installation. All the others were activated manually.

I would like to point out that the "TomTom 3 Great Britain" is activated on my PDA and currently running fine. CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW IT HAS BEEN ACTIVATED ON DEVICE 'AAAAA AAAAA' BUT YOUR SITE THINKS IT BELONGS TO A DIFFERENT DEVICE? I only went to the activation site in order to try and retrieve my activation code so I could record it in case I needed to re-install in the future.

Do you realise that if my PDA suffered a hard reset, I would be unable to re-install your product because you think it has been registered to another PDA. I can't begin to tell you how frustrating and annoying it is, to pay money for a product that you cannot use without first spending many days playing email ping-pong or waiting in excess of 30 minutes for a support engineer to answer the telephone.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Glenn

Response 29/06/2004 10.01 AM

Dear Mr knowles,

When doing a complete reinstall on the Pocket PC (hard reset)
They device code does not change. You might have to reactivate using the same product.
It is not possible that your device code has changed.
The device code always stays the same at all times.
When replacing the motherboard of the pocket PC the device code will change.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

Customer 29/06/2004 12.08 PM

No you have not answered my question to my satisfaction! You have obviously not read or understood the issue.

However, I have managed to talk to 'Neil' in your support department who was very helpfull and has given me an activation code for my device (Many thank's Neil).

HOWEVER, There is still an INVALID entry against my product. I would like the device 'XXXXX XXXXX' to be REMOVED from my product as this may effect any future issues if I decide to change my PDA.

Please take the time to read and understand this issue, as your poor support is the one thing that is letting down a great product and will cause people to look elseware in the future.

Regards,

Glenn

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: