Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Maps on Ebay
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Maps on Ebay
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craiga wrote:
Sent

Thanks Craig. As I said earlier, my beef was not with you but the sellers of this stuff. POIPlaza is someone we are considering legal action against as they have a large quantity of our data.

They carry out no checks as to the source or validity of submitted data, no verification etc and claim to be innocent parties. Anyone using their data gets no support, no error checks, nothing. It's so disheartening to see our work in verifying, collating and producing this data abused by an outfit that thinks it's safe because it operates from Hungary. They will soon find out that our reach extends at least that far.

Craig, thanks for the files, they'll be added to the evidential file. We'll also ID the supplier who passed the data to POIPlaza and ban them.
craiga
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks Craig. As I said earlier, my beef was not with you

Thanks Darren, you have been very supportive.

I think the way companies like Navman operate create this void for others to move into. Plenty of people have been trying to give Navman money for updates with no success.

If you paid £100 for a unit & throw it away in 2 years then OK - not very environmentally sound - but you can live with it, but look at the price of the iCN 550 when it came out £400 ish & then just abandoned.

Its a real shame because I've seen what it could have been with the IGO8.

Good luck with protecting the Pocket GPS speedcam database - I found it invaluable when I was doing lots of miles and more than worth the £2 a month it was then - 40,000 miles a year & a clean licence is testament to the accuracy of the database & the hard work put in by everyone. I applaud & support your efforts against piracy.

If I can be of any assistance, please let me know - I have for example the email from Fox Web sending me to POIPlaza when I asked their support how to upload POI's.

Best Wishes,
Craig
angrydocker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: tried on n20 Reply with quote

I know someone who put the amigo software from ebay on his n20, it looked ok until he punched in a route which wanted to take him across a dual carriageway no entry sign, plus many other strange routings..I'm keeping my cash in my pocket
Fixer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Back to this subject, I have no personal issue with the hacking a device to unlock the underlying OS (although this may be a breach of the WinCE licence, it is a 'grey' and as yet uncontested area) to allow the installation of legitimate purchased software.

WinCE comes in two main licensing flavours - Basic (~$3) and Pro (~$16). The Basic includes the main shell so hacking the device to expose this doesn't break the license. I assume Navman hid it so the device just runs their application! Anyway, the only way to break the license is to rebuild the kernel with additional Pro features (e.g. Pocket Internet Explorer, etc) and that's not possible without the source code for the Board Support Package.

I agree with you - the loser here is IGO. Even if Navman's support is poor it doesn't justify ripping them off.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: