Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon MobileNavigator for iPhone launches in AppStore
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon MobileNavigator for iPhone launches in AppStore
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Navigon MobileNavigator for iPhone launches in AppStore Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comIf there ever was a race then Navigon have won it. Their MobileNavigator App for iPhone is the first European Turn-by-Turn navigation application to be available in Apple's AppStore.

Now available here for £54.99, MobileNavigator Europe features portrait and landscape support, Reality View Pro, 2D and 3D display and an auto-resume after phone call function.

Navigon has long been the No1 solution in many European countries and has a large user-base. With it's clean, modern user-interface it perfectly suits the iPhone platform and looks certain to do well.

The ability to auto-resume is very important here because the iPhone is not a true multi-tasking device and so to take a call, a running application such as this would need to exit.

The £54.99 is listed as an 'Introductory Price' valid until June 30th. We will be trying to secure a review copy as soon as possible. Sygic are expected to be next, roll on Summer!

Navigon Mobile Navigator Europe iTunes AppStore Link
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Navigon MobileNavigator for iPhone launches in AppStore Reply with quote

Navigon wrote:
Navigation is automatically resumed after an incoming phone call
Quick access to user-defined POIs in the area and along the route

It will be interesting to see what sort of custom POI support this application offers, but the really important part (for me) is the auto resume of the nav application following a phone call.

Any Nav application that cannot do this will be a danger to the user and other road users IMHO - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any Nav application that cannot do this will be a danger to the user and other road users IMHO

I take your point and partly agree. I'd expect most apps will offer this. But, it's the user, not the app, that will cause the danger. A small but important difference.

Just because an app lacks the resume does not exonerate the driver from acting responsibly.
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I take it when a call comes in you don't have the option to still view the map while talking - as you can do on a PDA?

The other burning questions if anyone gives this software a go...

2nd question: how well does the GPS perform on iPhone 3G using this software?

3rd quesion: how loud is the max volume and is it good enough without using an external speaker?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goober556 wrote:
So I take it when a call comes in you don't have the option to still view the map while talking - as you can do on a PDA?

Correct, that is an iPhone limitation, no fault of Navigon.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends what you define as a PDA, what with the blurring between these and phones. Currently TomTom on my HTC Diamond switches to the call for answering, then straight back to TomTom but with muted sound.

The GPS *should* perform much as it does for other apps - the 3GS GPS chip seems to be excellent so far, and either equal to or better than that on my HTC Diamond.

The speaker on my iPhone is plenty loud enough, certainly a fair bit more than my HTC Diamond which was marginal. Although I have a dock for my old iPod, which sort of works with the iPhone, that plumbs into my car stereo.

That begs the question, can you play music and use TomTom at the same time? I hope so.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
That begs the question, can you play music and use TomTom at the same time? I hope so.

I don't know about TomTom but Navigon lets you start the music then launch and use the application. As for volume I use the A2DP Bluetooth audio in the the car paired up to my iO-Play kit, music goes through the car speakers, any navigation instructions also come via the car speakers over the Bluetooth link - no wires excellent quality.

Using the application on a 3G iPhone there doesn't seem to be much of an issue with positional fix, the application takes a few seconds to fire up and it grabs a position fix within 20 seconds which isn't bad considering I have the device quite low down in the car next to the stereo sat in a Brodit powered holder. With position snapped to the road it doesn't wander about and seems very accurate when driving past side roads.

Interestingly the download which is 1,65GB took less time than the actual installation to the device! make sure you have around an hour spare to download and install this and thats with a fast internet connection - Mike
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
As for volume I use the A2DP Bluetooth audio in the the car paired up to my iO-Play kit, music goes through the car speakers, any navigation instructions also come via the car speakers over the Bluetooth link - no wires excellent quality.

Sounding good! What is the volume of the voice instructions like without connecting to the car speakers?

Thanks.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, if only I had bluetooth in my crap car Very Happy

And an hour to install? Yikes!

I'm trying to hang on for TomTom, and not buy anything else first...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goober556 wrote:
Sounding good! What is the volume of the voice instructions like without connecting to the car speakers?

Give me 15 minutes to watch the end of the F1 Qual then I will go and try it:

Now then, look top left and see anything interesting:

Use A2DP Bluetooth for the audio output to my iO-Play kit and set the music playing before launching the Navigon application, I have yet to try it with the built in speaker as I see little point in not using whats available to me in my own vehicle:

Application splash screen is displayed for around 10 seconds before the application is loaded:

In use when driving quite good, GPS position is good and remember I am using a 3G iPhone not one of the newer devices, seems accurate when passing side roads or making turns.

An hour for download and transfer to the device of 1,65GB isn't too bad at all, I only mentioned this so people don't think something has gone wrong if they purchase it, as for Bluetooth in the car you can add the capability for around £60 if you shop around for the device I use.

I think Bluetooth audio support in cars is a great addition if you have an iPhone running OS3 its really worth considering - Mike
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3D map looks good, better than TomTom arguably. I really want TomTom for the Live Services though, and am hoping that this comes with HD Traffic.

I use a Griffin dock that I bought for my iPod 5G, which is in turn plumbed into my stereo. iPhone moans when I connect it to the dock, but it all works, plus it charges.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
I really want TomTom for the Live Services though, and am hoping that this comes with HD Traffic

That is as yet far from a given though.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, for sure. TomTom seem to be a bit random, and don't seem to favour those using software.
dundustin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: navigon - Pedestrian mode Reply with quote

does this app support walk mode?
01101000_01101001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you put the speed camera database on this?

thanks

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: