Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How not to ask for help with an installation problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How not to ask for help with an installation problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: How not to ask for help with an installation problem Reply with quote

I thought this was a perfect example of some of the emails we receive. I should add that less than a fraction of 1% of our subscriber base has an issue and of those most ask politely for help and provide some info on their issue.

This came in this afternoon:
Quote:
i have download the speed camras to my tom tom but its does not work any more so could you fix it or refund my money of 19.99 i paid for your speed camras thank you or ring me xxx xxxxxxxx

Perfect! Of course the issue would be of our making, couldn't possibly be the user doing something wrong. And of course we should immediately refund him/her but first we should call them on a mobile at our expense.

Now I value customer service highly, I'll often be found resolving issues sent in by email at 10 or 11pm or 7am 7days a week, and indeed one only yesterday was kind enough to reply saying how rare that kind of service was.

But when I get emails like this my eyes roll and I wonder why we bother!

I've replied suggesting he/she read the install guide and then if there is still an issue perhaps they could provide me with some details but I have a nasty feeling this one is going to be 'one of them' customers!

I can post safely here because they've never posted in the forum, wouldn't dream of asking for help even though we politely tell all new members that they are our primary support medium.

I'm off for a swim (I'm supposed to be having a weekend away!) but instead I'm sat in my hotel room stressing about customers like this.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me, I'd be inclined to provide a refund and tell them to naff off as we don't need their custom. Cool

Enjoy the swim and have a 'cold one' afterwards.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
If it was me, I'd be inclined to provide a refund and tell them to naff off as we don't need their custom

Whilst at first this seems a good idea, we generally sort out issues such as this via the forum, its a much better solution to resolve the issue than simply dismissing the query out of hand, its a shame that not everyone who joins uses the wealth of knowledge available from the forum as most errors can be resovelved in well under an hour - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the user will still have a copy of the database as there is no tangible product to return for the refund...

But as Mike says, if only they asked...
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I know you are right.

I just don't have the patience of Job to put up with that all the time.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul hit the nail on the head. Where a user has truly struggled with basic computer concepts I have on occasion spent a great deal of time walking them through it via email.

But refunding will always raise the suspicion that it's a ruse to get free access. The lengths some people will go to in securing unpaid access rarely fails to amaze me.

At the end of the day though, we have provided access to the data, we are under no obligation to support installation or to undertake tuition in basic computer concepts.

There is also the worry that some people are more than happy to give their credit card details and purchase on the internet yet have no idea what the terms copy & paste or files & folders mean!

Perhaps we need an Internet Licence? AOL'ers need not apply Wink

And I apologise if I seem to be regularly sounding off here, but it allows me to vent my frustration and gauge if it's just me that finds somethings maddening Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I have to tell you again? Pass him over to the DennisN support desk! Stop it! Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got another cracker this morning:
Quote:
Please note that immediately after renewing my subscription on 21/05/09, my debit card was used fraudulently to remove nearly £600 from my bank account – perhaps you need to check through your security procedures

Now I don't need to tell most of you that we don't handle payments, PayPal do and even then despite all the issues with PayPal they uses secure payment systems.

If and it's a big IF, this chap has been compromises on-line then it is far more likely that his PC or his PP Account details have been compromised.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The member whose email prompted the opening post has now replied. I post this as I'm sure many of you will find it interesting if not amusing what happens in the 'back office':

Quote:
it would be nice if you have some ware if my area to install the camras to my tom tom so they can work and show me i not happy with you customer service so what can you offer me to put it right i take the tom tom to someone to download 10 mile radious thank you mr p robinson my moblie xxx xxxxxx

Now I have offered three times to walk this chap through an install via email but not once has he even replied with what model device he has.

Quite how I am supposed to know where he lives and thus whether I or another team member lives within 10miles is any-ones guess!

I know some companies deserve criticism for poor service but am I wrong in thinking some people truly take the royal xxxxx?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not on for him to take it to a member's house for them to download and install - he needs to download his own copy.

I believe you have my mobile number, Darren. Pass it to him and tell him to ring me (his phone bill) and I'll talk him through it gently and carefully (not the DennisN Grumpy Helpdesk method) Laughing

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update concerning this guy. Darren passed him my phone number and it then took him until Saturday 6th June to text me, not phone. I phoned him to discuss it on my phone bill and we eventually agreed he'd phone me on the following Tuesday evening when we would take an hour over download and installation and training on how to do it himself (ready to do it again on his own with the next new database, the following day, Wednesday). I sat by my PC all Tuesday evening with a notebook full of notes to make sure we went through everything, no call. When I texted him Wednesday to ask why, he took all day before replying that he'd been busy and he'd text me when he's ready.

Now I really don't mind helping somebody out, but like Darren said, you kinda expect, or at least hope, you'll get a bit of shared workload here.

So I'll wait and see how it goes. He started this off three weeks ago, took two weeks to get in touch with me and has been another week already without starting the business.

rockin_plumber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Some people really are beyond help

Laughing
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call my cynical if you like but he probably has the database installed and working and was trying it on to get his money back as well. He has realised that you do actually want to help him (a most unusual trait with some retailers) and is running scared. 11 out of 10 to Darren and DennisN for CustomerCare beyond the call of duty.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After downloading last Wednesdays Cameras I find my car is hard to start. It's only happened since I installed the new cameras. I realise I'm a lifetime member but as the database is worth £19.99, nay more than that, lets say £59.99, I would appreciate a refund immediately or the cost of having my car repaired. Very Happy Razz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing excellent.
The battery on my bike is on the blink, am I covered for that as well? I did connect the TT to it once ans was using the PGPSW database.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: