Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dedicated or IPAQ GPS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dedicated or IPAQ GPS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Dedicated or IPAQ GPS? Reply with quote

I have a Snooper for detecting basic lasers etc, and a IPAQ 2210, what I want to do is getting a better way of tracking Speed Cameras etc, what would be the best way for me i.e. costs etc? a Dedicated GPS system or buying Tom Tom with bluetooth GPS, Memory Cards etc? Any info would be appreciated......
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any dedicated systems that have Safety Camera alert features so the best option by far is a PocketPC solution.
logib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Snooper S4 neo Reply with quote

I thought systems like the Snooper S4 neo - GPS & Laser speed camera detection system would?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I don't know of any dedicated systems that have Safety Camera alert features so the best option by far is a PocketPC solution.

Darren,

Could you clarify what you mean? My Snooper S6-R Neo has a GPS based $afety camera database and an added Radar/Laser Detector for those oh so hidden mobile sites. Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I misunderstood the OP's question, I thought he was asking for a dedicated GPS Navigation solution that also had Safety Camera Warnings!

Now I understand the question, it's difficult to answer, whilst I naturally think our free database is pretty good it's never going to be as good as the better GPS based hardware systems. Of all the ones I have used, the Origin b2 is by far the best with accurate timely warnings that contain detailed information and the option to upgrade to laser/radar etc. If the RS-232 GPS Output cable ever materialises then this would be the best system, use the b2 for the warnings and also to drive a PDA bsed nav solution.

Having said the above I have had emails from users of Snooper S4's and S6's who have compared them with our database and claim ours is as good as if not more accurate and useful, considering the costs of these systems and the ongoing subscription that's pretty good to hear!
logib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Ipaq 2210 options? Reply with quote

So my next question is if I go with the Ipaq 2210 Bluetooth GPS option (I already have the Ipaq) what would be the best things to buy to give me a speed camera detector package, keeping costs low! tom tom 3 with GPS? is all the speed camera add-ons compatible with this package? any other ideas? cheers.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently Speed Camera add-ons are only available for TomTom & Medion/Navigon.

My reccommendation would be TTNav3 with either BT or wired GPS. The CheckPOInt plug-in is free as is our database. You'll also need an in-car mount for the 2210. That should be all you need.
logib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Mobile Vans? Reply with quote

Darren, one last question, I can see how this system works to track fixed cameras, ie ones that dont move! but how can the system beat the Mobile Van Cameras? do I need to keep my GPRS phone nearby to get up to date movements? how exactly does it work???? cheers.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the short answer is it can't! But then neither can dedicated units unless those with laser detectors trigger (and they are pretty much useless).

The best we can do is alert when approaching sites that are known regular haunts for Safety Partnership vans and other mobile traps, this is how the dedicated units function too.

I'm preparing a seperate database with a different Icon to indicat a potential mobile site, hopefully this will indicate that there 'may' be a camera there and to be careful.
logib
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Just ordered TomTo 3 Wired GPS, Carkit & 256MB Memory £205 delivered, hope it works a treat! Dont tell me theres somewhere cheaper! Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a pretty good price to me, enjoy :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: