Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera nabs 23,500 drivers in 14 days
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera nabs 23,500 drivers in 14 days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Well checking out Yew Tree Drive, Whitely in Google Maps one has to wonder why it is posted at 30.

If you check out the satellite view you will see a road that to all intents and purposes is a tree lined country lane. There are no residents on the road itself, just on the side roads.

Mike,

We had the same in our area a few years ago. The road in question is the A599 just South of it's junction with the M56 (Jn 10). It's a country road with a national speed limit for almost all it's length but there is a cluster of houses and one pub (about 10 properties in all). Without any apparent warning the council (Warrington BC) installed two chicanes and a 30 MPH limit. The two chicanes have caused more accidents in the few years they have been installed than had been recorded in the area previously. The 30 MPH limit extends barely 1/2 mile. There is now a mobile camera location in the database for that stretch of road! I don't know who moved into the area - but someone with a bit of clout must have done. It took a neighbouring village 10+years to get the 40 MPH limit reduced to 30 MPH and it has a population of 900+ people and a school.
Cursor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably one of those 60mph to 30mph changes, no one drops 30mph to go into the 30mph zone at 30mph, unless they know there's a speed camera there.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This to me sounds like a lot of spin and publicity from a wanna be MP and a local politician of the same party. Reminds me of Yes Minister where you take a minor fact and blow it out of proportion to become a national emergency policy.

Maybe Vivian Achwal lives in the local area and wants to reduce speed of cars near her home... Maybe there is a genuine problem with speed and school kids crossing.

Obviously with the speed detector running 24 hours a day there is no differentiation between school times and other times, nor is there any indication as to what the average speed of the traffic was. It could be that all the cars were doing 31MPH or all doing 70MPH.

I have no problem reducing the speed to 20MPH during school drop off and pick up times, and think it makes a lot of sense to do that. Over in the USA that sort of part time speed limit has been in place for years and works really well. Why not introduce it here as well?
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope!

That's simply NOT allowed, anything which involves common sense has been completely outlawed! Rolling Eyes
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anybody care to check my maths?

The road in question is approx 765 yards in length.

Assume vehicle a. travels at 40mph for the entire length, it would take 0.65 minutes.

Vehicle b. travels at 30mph, taking 0.87 minutes.

The difference is approx 1/5th minute or 12 seconds longer for car b.

Looking at the routes around the area I would imagine the vast majority are locals using the road, I can't understand the thinking of those who continue to ignore the limit.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
I can't understand the thinking of those who continue to ignore the limit.

It's all psycological. 30MPH seems soooooooo sloooow. Why do 30 when you could do 40 and save yourself 12 seconds. Shocked Life's too short to hang about that long, and think how much more time you would save at 120. Shocked

Stop it! I'll get me coat now.Stop!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you are assuming that drivers are consciously ignoring the limit. It may be that the road design and surroundings lead drivers to believe a higher speed limit than 30mph is in effect.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why do 30 when you could do 40 and save yourself 12 seconds.

But driving at 30 could save £60 and 3 points. Laughing

That's £300 per hour. £12000 for a 40 hour week. £624000 per year. That's SIX MP's expenses. Shocked Razz
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
That's SIX MP's expenses. Shocked Razz

Six? One, maybe two tops Wink
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And you are assuming that drivers are consciously ignoring the limit.

Well yes Darren, because looking at the road in question, it appears to me that only locals would use it as it doesn't appear to be a main through route or short-cut to anywhere.

Quote:
It may be that the road design and surroundings lead drivers to believe a higher speed limit than 30mph is in effect.

Looking at Google Earth there appears to be no facing houses on the road itself, someone not familiar with the area may well miss a sign and assume it's a higher limit.

As you said earlier, it would be interesting to know the speeds the people were caught at.

Travelling at 60 would only save about 26 seconds and then probably lose that at the roundabout, one end, or the junction the other, because they've caught up with Lost_Property or DennisN. Very Happy
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed camera nabs 23,500 drivers in 14 days Reply with quote

[quote="mrg2003"]
Quote:

If you can't to the time, don't do the crime. A pedestrian is much more likely to survive a collision below 30 than above.

I do my racing on circuits designed for speed in an appropriate type of car, and keep to the limits on the public roads.

All I can say is this then.....

You can drive at 29.5 mph in every location with a possible pedestrian. Maybe also every road with a cyclist. Arrow

95+% of others will drive at 30 mph to 50 mph as per the specific limits and work on the basis pedestrians will use the pavement. (most 6o mph roads don't have a pavement).

I can't advise you for the motorways because a 70 mph crash may well result in a serious injury to a fellow road user. One presumes you use your same logic on the M6, etc and try to drive at 30 mph?

Hey - we both use the motroways in rush hour. Very Happy
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
Nope!

That's simply NOT allowed, anything which involves common sense has been completely outlawed! Rolling Eyes

You're not wrong.

Take MPs expenses.....a con to pretend to Joe Public their pay/remuneration is low. Yes - their salaries were not increased massively above inflation so they use expenses as a method to boost their pay.

Anyway, back to driving/GPS, common sense is hard to police and raise a tax from so we will have arbitrary rules and when we need money we will cast the net and catch rule breakers at that moment.

Once caught we will move to another location.

Hey - this is like the trawlermen TV programme currently airing. Rolling Eyes So drivers are now like the fish.

(hint - steer clear of warm North Sea oil pipes as the fishermen know this is a good spot. i.e. steer clear of the M6 around Penrith when it's 7am / 7pm and you are easily spotted.......)
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:

The difference is approx 1/5th minute or 12 seconds longer for car b.

... I would imagine the vast majority are locals using the road, I can't understand the thinking of those who continue to ignore the limit.

Can I enlighten you as to why thousands are implicated in this mess.

You are concentrating on the road/surroundings as you have been for x minutes. You slow a bit from your previous 40 - 60 speeds. You might stay in 5th gear. The road is clear and you continue.

Arrive at destination.

Night falls comes and you sleep.

Morning comes and go to work.

etc etc.

13 days later you are asked to pay a Camera Tax. Shocked

100 days later you are reading this forum comment doing some maths and suggesting drivers should be aware they are only saving 12 seconds.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are concentrating on the road/surroundings as you have been for x minutes. You slow a bit from your previous 40 - 60 speeds. You might stay in 5th gear. The road is clear and you continue.

Hang on Gem, are we talking about the same road? The one mentioned is only 765 yards long, not a lot of chance to get to 60 or even 5th gear.

Quote:
100 days later you are reading this forum comment doing some maths and suggesting drivers should be aware they are only saving 12 seconds.
Very Happy

What about two drivers travelling to a destination 70 miles away.

Driver a. does 70mph and takes one hour.

Driver b. does 60mph and takes 1 hour 10 minutes.

Driver b. gets more miles per gallon, less wear and tear on their vehicle and arrives more relaxed. Laughing

Driver a. spends 10 minutes telling people how fast he did the journey. Razz
ganonman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: A lot of detail left out of the story Reply with quote

1) I live in Whiteley in the area off Sweethills Cresent up in the residential area the other end of that that road.

2) I drive a car with a 1.0 litre engine and I don't bother with trying to drive too fast (It's a slow car, it's pointless).

3) It was on the 1st lamp post after the turning

4) It lit up and said 30mph even if your speedo said 28-30mph (it wasn't a real speed camera it would record you for speeding if you went 30mph)

5) I used to accelerate as hard as possible to get that thing to light up as I was lucky if I could hit 30mph by that point. (So I'm probably responsible for 50 of that statistic).

6) I was aware there is a school on that road and I never have broken the speed limit of 30mph according to my speedo and judging by the fact I get stuck behind someone everyday up that road i'd say most go less than 30mph.

7) Yes I think this thing this is propaganda.
Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: