Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgraded to v8, problems with PGPS Large Cam Icons?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgraded to v8, problems with PGPS Large Cam Icons?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetrotter wrote:
but their icons look the best

Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Very Happy

I really must have a look at what the TomTom icons look like - especially at 32x32. I've only seen fixed cameras appear on my 730 not mobiles etc. Smile

Having the same icons for both would mean you don't know which database is alerting you.
Brodit ProClip mount
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - get on the job Gerry and reclaim top spot!

Yours were the best but now, (in the words of the catchphrase fella), "that's good Gerry but it's not right." Very Happy
PGPSWorld Speed Camera Database (naturally)
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the 740, and I have to agree that the new, smaller, display icons are...well....garbage. Why is that every other satnav maker seems to have speed camera warnings that take up anything up to half of the screen but TomTom seem to want to go smaller and smaller. To the extent that if you're more than a foot from the screen you have no chance of seeing what speed of camera you're approaching?

Is it just me, or does this approach kind of defeat the whole object of the warnings?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the speed zoned database on the device and an ogg voice pack for warnings, this way you get the warnings reading out the camera type and applicable speed limit without needing to look at the screen - Mike
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's just something about a nice big warning icon that looks the part somehow. If they shrink them again in a newer release they may as well do away with the idea of icons at all. Flipping things are smaller than the 'voice command' icon.

Oh well.
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for me i cant see what the speed is,Unless i lean forward not a good idea when driving,I dont have my tomtom on the right handside of the windscreen,Its in the middle but close to the dashboard,Even if i had it on the right hand side of the steering wheel i would still have problems seeing it Confused

I think its a great idea having the speed flash up,Buts its a stupid idea having it so small
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, since the icon was shrunk, I now rely on the audio alert. When I look at the TT, it's invariably when it's flashing and it's off at the time. Mad

I'm open to suggestions about icons but, at present, they are based on the idea that the numbers are as big as possible with a lightly coloured background to identify what type of alert it's for.

Mine's sat in the middle of the dashboard but the steering wheel still covers the lower-right corner. I can see how others may have problems seeing the icon when it's on their right-hand side.
Brodit ProClip mount
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be better if it would speak the speed limit,Im new to this i bet someone is going to say it does say what the speed limit is Laughing Out Loud? Confused
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I relied heavily on the icon as opposed to the audible alert. Well, heavily is an overstatement. I'm always aware of the limit I'm actually in, but a visual reminder occasionally never goes amiss just so you can be sure as a camera approaches. I usually have the radio on, a 'no voice' direction voice and a beep to bring my attention to the screen briefly to look at the icon. The TT is normally only used as a guide to arrival time, where I am when I break down and to get me round unfamiliar areas if my usual route is stuffed. As a result I keep audible alerts to a minimum so as not to distract from my radio enjoyment.

On the whole a mistake by TomTom I feel

wigfield - if you download the OGG files with the camera databases from here, or set up a custom warning for each camera then it will speak the speed limit. Not much use in my situation, but it might help you maybe? The built in ones won't though
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks HappyTrucker,Ill try that Smile
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, just bought a refurbished 720, and the icons are very disappointing compared with my TomTom One. As I can't read the icons safely I experimented with the recorded speed warnings from this site, but found them all too quiet using Navcore 8.350. What worked was typing in my own warning and using TTS to speak it - I am getting really good volume and don't have to peer at the screen to see what speed it is. The only down side is that Kate seems to say Gatfo - but I can live with that.
But I'd dearly love to have proper icons again
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: