Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TESTERS REQUIRED! Apply Within
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TESTERS REQUIRED! Apply Within
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: TESTERS REQUIRED! Apply Within Reply with quote

We're working on improving the submission form (you may have noticed some layout changes already) and wanted a handful of people to test the proposed new format / layout etc.

If you want to join in then can you reply to this post with your operating system, browser (and version) and whether you are a subscriber or not.

We want to test it with as many OS's and browsers as possible - it's not anything mega amazing, but hopefully should make camera submissions more logical..!!

MaFt

Last edited by MaFt on Thu May 28, 2009 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
dlpruk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win XP, Firefox 3.0.10 + AOL 9.1 (IE) if needed. I am a subscriber and would be happy to help if I can.

David
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win XP Sp3 Firefox 3.0.10 & Google Chrome 1.0.154.59 - I am a subscriber and would be happy to help also.
Alabama978
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Linux OS Reply with quote

PCLinux, 2009, Firefox 3.0.8 as the main browser but can test with other Linux Browsers - Konqueror, and Flock.

Will be a subscriber by end of today :-)

Glad to help.

Al

UPDATE - Now wading through POI warning settings as a happy subscriber Very Happy

Last edited by Alabama978 on Fri May 01, 2009 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MaFt. Will this be only to test the submission page on 'Real' cams Sad , or is there the facility to submit 'Test' cams? Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Hi MaFt. Will this be only to test the submission page on 'Real' cams Sad , or is there the facility to submit 'Test' cams? Very Happy

it's to test the actual page, features and layout itself as opposed to the actual camera submissions. submissions work, i just want some feedback on the new layout and whether or not it is easier than how it currently is!

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK then. First comment. I tried to change my local mobile 26190. Zoomed in on it and clicked it. Usual cam detail stuff appeared on the top left of the map. scrolled up, clicked 'Autofill current values' Current values did not auto fill and the cam details at the top right of the map disappeared. Sad
I would have expected it to autofil the cam number, lat long etc. on the submission bit for me to edit. Very Happy Have just noticed that you have to enter the cam no into the ID box. I think it would make more sense to autofill it????

Edit 1.
It might be a good idea to point the users at the 'Click here for a guide' in the question mark help popup for the cam type. I know its just next door, but every little helps.
Edit 2.
The double click on the map does not zoom the clicked point to the centre of the map if you double click on a cam like the Lat/Lon help implies that it should.

New layout looks good and is in logical order Very Happy , but I can't fully remember what the old one looked like Rolling Eyes
Does the map still zoom right out after a cam has been submitted??? Crying or Very sad
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
OK then. First comment. I tried to change my local mobile 26190. Zoomed in on it and clicked it. Usual cam detail stuff appeared on the top left of the map. scrolled up, clicked 'Autofill current values' Current values did not auto fill and the cam details at the top right of the map disappeared. Sad
I would have expected it to autofil the cam number, lat long etc. on the submission bit for me to edit. Very Happy Have just noticed that you have to enter the cam no into the ID box. I think it would make more sense to autofill it????

Edit 1.
It might be a good idea to point the users at the 'Click here for a guide' in the question mark help popup for the cam type. I know its just next door, but every little helps.
Edit 2.
The double click on the map does not zoom the clicked point to the centre of the map if you double click on a cam like the Lat/Lon help implies that it should.

New layout looks good and is in logical order Very Happy , but I can't fully remember what the old one looked like Rolling Eyes
Does the map still zoom right out after a cam has been submitted??? Crying or Very sad

the autofill thing is to fill the form out when you put a camera id into the box to the left of it ;) in firefox you will be shown a link to [Update submission form with camera details] but the code for this is surprisingly complex... it doesn't work in safari or IE...

also, this is only the half-way new look - i'm yet to add anyone to the actual new layout!

double click to zoom&center works fine here (mac, firefox 3.5b4pre (nightly))

will post more here once i've added people to the test list

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

MaFt

Double click to zoom works OK as long as you don't double click a cam. Then it does not.
PC, Vista IE8
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
MaFt wrote:

MaFt

Double click to zoom works OK as long as you don't double click a cam. Then it does not.
PC, Vista IE8

indeed - cos technically you're then clicking on a marker (icon) as opposed to the map!! however this has always been the case.... as has the id to search Wink

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, you should all now see the new submission form:

the mission:

1) pretend you are a new user, submitting your first ever camera to PGPSW.com - feedback exactly how easy or difficult you found it. and any suggestions for improvement. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ACTUALLY SUBMIT ANYTHING!

2) feedback any specific issues with browser / OS

Trevor - you will also see the verifiers extra's on the form too.

one of the reasons we've put the map in the actual form itself is to try get the form in a logical order of how you need to fill it out - at the moment the map is below the form requiring the user to scroll down then back up again often after trying to figure out why you can't just type coordinates into the form directly!

MaFt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

More than willing to help out.
Mac OSX 10.5.6.
FF 3.0.10
Safari Beta 4
Omniweb 5.9.2

Also have a Mac running OSX Panther, with last versions of Safari, FF, Camino and flock that the OS would run. Don't use it often, but willing to wind it up if needed.

Windows XP, FF 3.0.10
IE 8.00.6001
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, no problems with my setup - Win XP Sp3 Firefox 3.0.10

Seems quicker to respond when zooming on the map and the click for update the co-ordinates takes no time at all.

The page was a bit odd without the map showing, but it only took a second or so to find the 'button'.

Taking co-ordinates from Google maps or Mapquest and pasting them in to the fields was OK as well.

I can't see any issues with the new format and would be happy to use it, if I ever see a new camera Razz
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does having the map embedded in the actual form make things easier instead of having to scroll below the form then back up?

253 - you've now been added

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
one of the reasons we've put the map in the actual form itself is to try get the form in a logical order of how you need to fill it out - at the moment the map is below the form requiring the user to scroll down then back up again often after trying to figure out why you can't just type coordinates into the form directly!

But now it separates the two lots of input fields, so a lot of vertical scrolling is still needed, albeit not up/down/up etc.

Several of the help text boxes are much wider then the constraints that you have set on page width, and if you click a question mark, instead of just hovering on it, the page jumps to the top. Shocked
(The answer could be, 'then don't click on it then' I suppose)
Disregard my previous useability comments. I find it more confusing now than it was 10 mins ago Confused especially with all that text above and below the map itself.

MaFt wrote:
indeed - cos technically you're then clicking on a marker (icon) as opposed to the map!! however this has always been the case.... as has the id to search !

First point OK. I understand.
Second point. Just suggesting that you could possibly update the fields from the clicked on cam data, as if someone is trying to modify a cam, they have possibly clicked on it on the map first to get its ID.

MaFt wrote:
does having the map embedded in the actual form make things easier instead of having to scroll below the form then back up? !
Not in my opinion, with all the text around it. I still think it would make more sense to have all the 'required data' fields in the same area, possibly immediately below the bottom of the map without all the help text (hide it behind a hover help) rather than two above and the rest below a large map with loads of text. Users could then see both the map and most of the input data fields at the same time especially if you made the data fields less vertical (CamID/Action on the same row and Lat/Lon fields on the same row etc. for instance)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: