Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OpenStreetMap - Now YOU can take control of the maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OpenStreetMap - Now YOU can take control of the maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> OpenStreetMap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plegilink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, somehow missed the reply about the iphone app.
Cheers
wonka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see OSM getting some good exposure - I came across it about 6 weeks ago, and have been helping to get Warrington up to date.

As others have said, the amount of detail in some urban areas is breathtaking, far exceeding the data found in OS maps, TeleAtlas, and Navteq. However, despite virtually all main roads being present now, there are still lots of towns & villages missing their residential streets (Bolton is one example), so please join in and get involved.

It's not just satisfying to see the map getting built up, it's also quite good fun in a geeky sort of way. This has got to be the one killer app for GPS units.
TomTom Home: v2
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a comprehensive set of instructions for this? I had a look at it in May 2007 (I think MikeA had mentioned it), I uploaded one track!, but I couldn't make any sense of what I was supposed to do next. Looking at the mapping now, I can see that it data is hugely more comprehensive than it was then!

It does raise the question of which sad geeky type has mapped my local (remote rural) area? I expected that to be my (sad geeky) job Laughing .

Sad to see that nobody seems to have come up with a mainstream device that can use the maps.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are detailed instructions on the OSM website. Potlatch is a good basic editor, see here.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The process I used was to upload the track and then using Potlatch (the online map editor thingy) I went over the missing roads, drawing them in by hand and then labelling them. It was quite time consuming to do even just a small area and I am not sure if there is an easier way to do it.
In order to make sure what I was doing made sense I used the 'play' mode in potlatch initially to add routes etc that do not exist. It gave me ideas what to try etc.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
The process I used was to upload the track and then using Potlatch (the online map editor thingy) I went over the missing roads, drawing them in by hand and then labelling them. It was quite time consuming to do even just a small area and I am not sure if there is an easier way to do it.

That's the process whichever editor you use. The GPS traces are there as a reference only for you to use and do not get used in the live map.

Don't forget to categorise the road if you can and name it. If you're not sure you can leave these blank and others can edit if they wish. Also, if you upload your GPS traces as 'public' then others can work on them if you don't have time or find it too complicated.
wonka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
Sad to see that nobody seems to have come up with a mainstream device that can use the maps.

I think this is just a matter of time really, there must be a commercial opportunity in this somewhere - free data, free software. All that's needed is the hardware, containing a processor/LCD/GPS/memory. And it's quite a unique selling point to offer a device with the promise of no need to pay for future s/w upgrade and latest maps available anytime.

I know that there are various projects underway that already have routing software running on laptops, but I'm not aware that there is an OSM-based PND.

I think in the short-term it's likely that someone will "hack" one of the current PNDs, and install the OSM offering onto it. Maybe the OpenTom project?

But, would be good to see an open-source commercial offering competing with today's SatNavs - would give them a run for their money.
TomTom Home: v2
jkljkl6
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I quote, your Honour... "Browsing the OSM map via a GPS app on my iPhone" Laughing

Thanks for the app name tho' I'll have a looky see. I've played around with "GPS Tracker" and "Trail Guru" which kind of do GPS logging but not quite what I'm after maybe this is closer to it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkljkl6 wrote:
And I quote, your Honour... "Browsing the OSM map via a GPS app on my iPhone" Laughing

Doh, sorry!

MotionX GPS is an excellent GPS app, all the features you'd want and well implemented. It's perfect for OSM logging with the only issue being the iPhone GPS which isn't as sensitive as I'd like/expect.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonka wrote:
JockTamsonsBairn wrote:

I think this is just a matter of time really, there must be a commercial opportunity in this somewhere - free data, free software. All that's needed is the hardware, containing a processor/LCD/GPS/memory. And it's quite a unique selling point to offer a device with the promise of no need to pay for future s/w upgrade and latest maps available anytime.

I know that there are various projects underway that already have routing software running on laptops, but I'm not aware that there is an OSM-based PND.

I think in the short-term it's likely that someone will "hack" one of the current PNDs, and install the OSM offering onto it. Maybe the OpenTom project?

But, would be good to see an open-source commercial offering competing with today's SatNavs - would give them a run for their money.

a lot of garmin devices can use OSM: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Map_On_Garmin

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's also a facebook group here if you're that way inclined!

MaFt
macgd016
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Useability Reply with quote

Seems like a great idea but there dont seem to be any instructions on how you can download it to a mobile device. I have a PDA that I use with several GPS applications including Ozi but I cant see how I could use OSM with this. Any suggestions?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Useability Reply with quote

macgd016 wrote:
Seems like a great idea but there dont seem to be any instructions on how you can download it to a mobile device. I have a PDA that I use with several GPS applications including Ozi but I cant see how I could use OSM with this. Any suggestions?

You can't. At the moment it's all about building the map. Some apps use it already but they download the map on the fly from OSM.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
wonka wrote:
JockTamsonsBairn wrote:

a lot of garmin devices can use OSM: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/OSM_Map_On_Garmin

MaFt
I've now read what I posted, rather than what I was thinking!
What I was thinking of was an open source app for PDA or "smart" phone. At the moment, it would be quite interesting to be able to display the map as you drove, so that you could see if an area needed logged. Real navigation would be even better!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like Maemo Mapper for Nokia N800/810 internet tablets perhaps?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> OpenStreetMap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: