Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sandisk Ultra II - CRC errors :-(
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sandisk Ultra II - CRC errors :-(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gps_user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Sandisk Ultra II - CRC errors :-( Reply with quote

Hi All,
I received my Sandisk Ultra II SD card from ebay a few weeks ago. Seemed to work a treat at first. However I since started to fill it up with data I keep receiving 'CRC error' during transfers. To confirm whether the card or PDA was the issue I stuck it into my PC's card reader and received the same error messages.

Is this media crap? If so why does the manufacturer offer an lifetime warranty?

How do I contact Sandisk to arrange an exchange? They seem to US based Crying or Very sad Are there any UK dealers who can help me?

Cheers
Tom
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandisk products have really deteriated in quality. I remember when Sandisk was a name to reckon with. Now their card readers and CF and SD cards aren't that great, and have huge compatibility issues!

Unfortunately Sandisk cards aren't the best on the block, and a number of people here have had similar problems. I guess that's why I still won't buy products like this over ebay because in a lot of cases you have no recourse.

I'd suggest trying to contact the seller and if he operates a business/store then try and swap it for another card. You can contact Sandisk from their website, but I have never had any luck myself.
gps_user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
You can contact Sandisk from their website, but I have never had any luck myself.

Ohh no, I hope I have more luck than you did as my warranty is strictly with the manufacturer because I purchased my goods off ebay (USA). Do you think any UK company would honour the warranty?

I've send a note to the dealer on ebay but I guess they won't reply if the content is not in their favour. Crying or Very sad

Cheers
Tom
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try Sandisk, the last time I tried was about 2 years ago and never got a response from them, hopefully their CS is better now.
gps_user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
8O GOOD NEWS ! - Sandisk have contacted me.

:x BAD NEWS ! - The chap has told me that I must return the product to the retailer (on ebay in my case) who I can't get in contact with.

He also states the following
Quote:
Unfortunately, SanDisk has no control over who sells on eBay. We see some second hand cards, possibly stolen cards etc there. The fact that there may be no support or consumer rights respected is usually reflected in the price.

I totally disagree with this statement as I have complied with their warranty as far as registering and getting in touch with themselves if there is a problem.
Reading the warranty card says that they will honour the warranty (lifetime) provided it has been registered within 30days... which i have.
It shouldn't matter where it has been purchased from epsecially when mine was new in a retail sealed box.

Comments appreciated.

Cheers
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Sandisk are offering a lifetime warranty then it shouldn't matter who sells it. If they suspect it's a clone, or a copy, or a bad card with a Sandisk label on, they should follow procedure and receive the card back and then investigate. If it's found to be one of the above, then they should notify you. After all, a lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty!

If the card is stolen, they will either have a way to track it if they have been notified of batches being stolen, or if they haven't they wouldn't know it was stolen.

Really it's down to Sandisk. Most manufacturers will try to get you to talk direct with the retailer, but if you can't get hold of the retailer, then the next resort is the manufacturer.
gps_user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I agree with you entirely. Thumbs Up

I have sent another email back to Sandisk explaining the situation and provided the serial number to help them identify if the item is stolen etc.

So far I haven't had a reply so I assume the chap has declined to offer anymore assistance.... the downside to email of course. Crying or Very sad

I still think they should take an initial interest in the source of the product if they suspect it was stolen for the sake of others.

I wish I had said the company I bought the card off had liquidated or something along those line as this might have swung the argument for who should replace the product. Crying or Very sad

Cheers
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really wanting to knock eBay, because I'm usually the first to go with technology and get stuff from where ever I can, but I just don't trust people on eBay. I know a lot of people have great success with it, but alot of people in these forums have been burnt with GPS's that have gone wrong, can't contact the eBay seller, and likewise the manufacturer either doesn't want to know, or won't reply. I guess it's a tough life, but I prefer to pay a little extra and know I'm getting a solid warranty behind it, and if the company doesn't respond to warranty enquiries, it's then off to the local trading standards office to help them comply.

At least you have a better chance in getting it replaced or money refunded. I like eBay, I've only bought small items from it, but I wouldn't ever buy anything more than £20 off a seller. Strange, I'd think it would be the opposite, but knowing full well the people who do have problems, I just won't chance it. I'm the same with car boot sales and market stands. I just think it's not worth the potential overall hassle.
gps_user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Valid points which I understand and agree with but the matter still stands how this firm (and maybe others) can dodge the responsibility for warranty on products regardless of their purchasing origin.
At the end of the day I bought this product off ebay specifically because it had "unlimited lifetime warranty' advertised. I wouldn't touch any other products without.

Incidentally the contact at Sandisk took longer to reply to my last email and this is what he said:

"In the UK, your consumer rights are detailed in the Sale of Goods Act, which states that the retailer is responsible to you, the customer to exchange, refund or repair faulty goods. eBay cannot avoid that responsibility just because they do not have retail stores. As eBay does not buy from SanDisk it is difficult for me to put pressure on them to uphold your rights. I am very happy to have SanDisk technical support contact you to help you to resolve this issue, but I have no way of exchanging your card."

Anyway, thanks for your advise. This debate could rage on forever and meet no end.

Cheers
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, they don't quite seem to grasp the point do they ? It's a SANDISK Product! At the end of the day if you purchased it from a small retailer and that retailer was 12 lines down the chain before you got to Sandisk at the top, then all that would happen is the product would be sent back up the chain to the distributor and back to Sandisk. One of the companies would give you a replacement, but Sandisk would ultimately replace the faulty one to the distributor, so all you're doing is bypassing the distributor. I can't see there's much difference, but it's nice how they like to shrug off their responsibilities as a manufacturer. Perhaps this is why they storage cards have start to deteriate and become the least most compatible card with all devices.

I can feel a blog coming on!
Pat Boy Slim UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am i right in thinking the retailer is only responsable for the first 12 months as the face of the manufacturer ? What happen after that ? Isnt it the manufacturer's warranty which kicks in because there the one's offering the lifetime warranty.My girlfriend used to work in PC world and they are well known for not giving refunds/Exchanges but the are three words that the company's hate to hear "SMALL CLAIMS COURT".But do check its a world wide warranty !
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that the Sandisk lifetime warranty is likely only to give you another Sandisk card.

Maybe you could persuade them to exchange your SD card for another product that's not quite so bad - then, if you can't use that product, put it on eBay as new and sealed.

It seems that all Sandisk SD cards are bad. I am aware of some technical opinion from some of the companies involved with Pocket PCs, but I don't have clearance to post this information publicly. That's why I go from user experience - and point out the number of other people having problems with Sandisk SD cards in the forums. I suggest, if necessary, you do the same - also pointing out the conclusions at http://sdprob.aximsite.com (I know the webmaster - it was through him I got to know what information I do).

In the end, I'd get shot of the Sandisk SD card and buy something else. Unfortunately by buying from eBay, especially if the seller is overseas, you can find yourself without easy recourse to the seller to exercise any consumer rights.

There are ways of buying cards from known good manufacturers from UK companies that aren't that much more expensive than Sandisk cards. I'm thinking largely of ValueFlash - if you email them at sales@valueflash.co.uk and ask what SD cards they have made by Panasonic (who I regard as the best manufacturer), they're usually able to help. I believe the current prices are around 55 pounds for 256MB and 100 pounds for 512MB - both including VAT and shipping.

Whilst this is more than you'll pay for a Sandisk card, particularly on eBay, you do get something that works and some come-back if things go wrong.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: