Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pharos or TomTom? Or something else?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pharos or TomTom? Or something else?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
el_yotcho
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Pharos or TomTom? Or something else? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to this whole GPS thing, and it's been a bit confusing, but I think I've narrowed down what I'm looking for to two models:

url here

url here

Both are serial/cable accessories for the iPaq; the first is TomTom, the second is Pharos. They're both about $250, which is the price range I'm looking for. They both seem to be based on the SiRF StarIIe/LP chipset, so I assume they perform similarly. The TomTom is a bit more expensive, but it comes with a nicer car cradle.

I don't know anything else about these devices, or manufacturers. Which has better maps, Ostia or TomTom? Do either of them come with free map updates? Do either of them have horrendous customer service? Does anyone recommend one over the other? Or a different model entirely? I don't want to spend more than $250 (about 136 pounds) unless there's something really unacceptable about these models.

There's also a cheaper Pharos model that seems to be identical to the one above, except the receiver is a bit less precise:

url here

It's $100 cheaper; are the savings worth it?

Thanks,
Patrick
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately we haven't received any review copy of Pharos Ostia yet so we can't really judge it. Subjectively I would say that TomTom is by far the superior package when it comes to functionality.

They do use different map providers, so you will see different map quality (but you should never expect perfect maps anyhow)

As far as support is concerned I can only suggest that the Pharos support must be better - TomTom's has a few things they can improve...

Both receivers are good, I like the TomTom receiver more because it looks nicer.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
el_yotcho
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Unfortunately we haven't received any review copy of Pharos Ostia yet so we can't really judge it. Subjectively I would say that TomTom is by far the superior package when it comes to functionality.

They do use different map providers, so you will see different map quality (but you should never expect perfect maps anyhow)

As far as support is concerned I can only suggest that the Pharos support must be better - TomTom's has a few things they can improve...

Both receivers are good, I like the TomTom receiver more because it looks nicer.

Thanks for the feedback...generally, how does map upgrading work? Is it usually a fee every year or something like that, and if so, how much? And in practice, is 10-meter accuracy noticeably better than 15-meter accuracy?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should expect to pay 50 to 100 USD a year for map updates.

Where did this 10m versus 15m come from?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
el_yotcho
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
you should expect to pay 50 to 100 USD a year for map updates.

Where did this 10m versus 15m come from?

If I understand them correctly, the tech specs for the first Pharos device say that it has an accuracy range of 10 meters, whereas the second Pharos (which is $100USD cheaper) goes within 15 meters. I was just wondering of the increased accuracy is worth the hundred bucks.

Thanks again,
Patrick
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about that . 15m is good enough for street navigation.

The only time when it gets hairy is in urban canyons. There a receiver with XTrac may give you some advantage. but it is also slower in following the position.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: