Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - navigon
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

navigon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treveden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: navigon Reply with quote

navigon 7210

Hi all,

we are thinking of buying a Navigon 7210 satnav for the motorhome. I've checked the site for speed camera updates but can't see navigon listed in the pocketgpsworld updates.

At the moment we are using the tomtom 700.

Anyone have any info on the navigons

best regards

trev
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had originally thought from the Navigon press release about the 7210 that it would allow user input of POI data, such as thee PGPSW cameras ("you can now also save your own special destinations and add them to the map, giving the navigation device a very personal touch") but I can't find any info in the manual. So you may not actually be able to download camera data directly. If you can, and know the format expected (asc, csv, ...) you should then be able to download an appropriate-format version from this site even though Navigon is not specifically mentioned.

It looks a little though as if the situation may be similar to the 8110, that you can't dowload user POIs to the unit using Navigon facilities. If that's the case there is the navigating.de's just-released MN7 add-on - if this interested you then you will find useful info in this thread:

Quote:
POI-Warner for Navigon 7 - At last ?

However, if you are just deciding what make to go for bear in mind that most other makes DO allow direct input of this sort of data. (Though I still like my Navigon!).
treveden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Navigon v tomtom Reply with quote

Hi

Agree the Navigons features really seem superior to the tomtom equivalent.
Looks like though the POI data on PocketGPS are not compatible with the navigon software .

I have also noticed that the map updates seem to be quite expensive. Would you know if a new purchase would require map updates, safety camera updates etc? We will be touring europe , Spain and France commencing this March.

Thanks for your help, sounds like you bought the top end Navigon (8110) looks great

best regards

trev
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I say, I think you would need the 3rd party 'add-on' to be able to load the camera database from this site (it's about £18).

As regards your other points, looking at the Navigon site, they say:

- "If an updated navigation map for this device is released within 30 days of your new NAVIGON device being put into operation for the first time, then you can download this map free of charge (Charges may be incurred for the data transmission.)"

- Navigon want £274.99 for the 7210. They have a FreshMaps offer:

"Inclusive FreshMaps Voucher. If you activate FreshMaps within 30 days of purchase, you will get FreshMaps to our special offer price of only 19,95 €, instead of 99,00 €.*

*This special offer is valid until December 31, 2009".

I don't know what price you are looking at, but check whether you will get the voucher in the package from the retailer you are considering.

Don't know if there is anything special on the Navigon camera updates (I use the PGPSW ones now), but in my area the installed UK onesseems reasonably uptodate. I should think that the included continental ones should be more comprehensive than you might get elsewhere at present.

A touch I also like (which the 7210 seems to have as well) is a little icon showing the current road's speed limit. While this isn't always correct, I still find it extremely useful.
treveden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Navigon 2150 max Reply with quote

David
Thanks for the updated information. Been doing some more research today and have come accross the Navigon 2150 max . it's a lot cheaper than the 7210. It also has the onscreen speed limit icon feature.

The cost is around £160 , but you need to pay £40.00 for the TMC feature, as a one off charge.

Think I'll take a look at the stores tomorrow to get a feel of the unit. Also looks like it would be a good idea to buy the "add on" from pocketgps so i can use the poi's from here.

Thanks for your help

trev
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigon 2150 max Reply with quote

treveden wrote:
Also looks like it would be a good idea to buy the "add on" from pocketgps so i can use the poi's from here.

Just to be clear, the 'add-on' is not ours, It's called POI-Warner and you would need to purchase it from here.

That enables the use of third party POI data such as our speedcam database which is available on subscription.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably noticed Navigon's FreshMaps offer applies on the 2150max as well, so check in-store.

One thing I should mention with POIWarner if you do consider it. The default configuration on my unit seems to have taken up the phone connection; that doesn't matter to me as I don't use one. It can be re-configured, but I don't know myself if it can be so as to leave the phone connection free. If it would be an issue, hopefully someone else here may know.
treveden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Navigon coordinates Reply with quote

Just an update.

recieved the 7210, a real smart looking piece of Kit. Does all the stuff I wanted it for with only one failing. There is no facility for the input of coordinates. Although this may not be an issue for car users, we regularly tour europe using overnight motorhome parking called aires. The directory lists the addressses of these using sat nav coordinates.

So unfortunately had to return the sat navs, back to the drawing board

thanks for all your help

trev
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame - mind, the directory sounds like the sort of data which I would have expected to be able to load as a set of user POI with the add-on software, and then choose the appropriate POI to navigate to. But as you say, you can't input coords directly to the unit, if that is what you really needed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: