Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Scam! (Camera Partnerships)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Scam! (Camera Partnerships)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebv40lad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Scam! (Camera Partnerships) Reply with quote

I'm sure this will spark a somewhat heated debate if not an argument but I am expressing my feelings and opinions, like every other posting member.

Firstly may I say, after reading many topics and reading many debates regards to speed camera's and especially new high tech ones, that I feel there are many people out there defending both sides. There doesn't appear to be a strong group of against or for.

Anyway, putting that observation aside, I am going to say rather quite bluntly that I feel it is all a scam. It all boils down to human greed, ladies and gents i'm not talking about authority or power i'm talking about the paper stuff, that's right MONEY. It has long been my belief that speed camera's where introduced for the sole reason of increasing government REVENUE.

My first point to back this hypothesis: Speed related deaths account for under 10% of the accidents occuring on British roads. The number one reason is inattentive driving, people not observing and using those wonderful inventions called mirrors and glass screens surrounding the car.
My second point: Have speed camera REALLY radically reduced deaths or serious injuries on our road systems? Not conclusively.
My third point: How many taxi drivers do you know that speed (I know the ones around my area certainly do, more so during anti-social hours i.e. midnight onwards), out of these how many of them have had accidents? Not many.
My fourth point: Why is it Germany can introduce a non-speed-limited motorway system? How many deaths occur on the Autobahns? Again, it's poor driving skills.
My fifth point is: If it wasn't about the money and was totally dedicated to the safety of the British motorists, why is there a financial fine involved? Why not just put 3/6/9/12 points on ones license and be done with it. The fact of the matter is once you reach 12 points your license is revoked, surely that is enough to deter you??

Furthermore which severely irritates me is the use of resources applied to the use of speed control officers. Why do we need to deploy a dozen police officers to perform speed checks all day in a 10 mile radius when really shouldn't they be investigating while the local 10 year old was stabbed in the back 3 times by an illegal immigrant? Or why the 15 year old girl was raped down an alley and who did it? No, instead we persist on frustrating motorists with 'speed checks' instead of catching the real criminals. I could understand if they spent most of the day targeting uninsured drivers and non-tax paying drivers but majority of them don't.

This infuriates me because I have heard and seen so many occasions where there has been an accident where someone has pulled out without looking or brakes for no apparent reason, possibly due to lack of confidence in driving or poor judgement, but whatever the reason it isn't speeding. However, I do agree with one point, if motorists didn't speed we would have more time to react and less stopping distance in an emergency, however this is linked to, again, driving ability and the ability to detect hazards and also that magic saying applies here also 'only a fool breaks the 2 second rule'. If you left enough room, it shouldn't matter a great deal how fast you are travelling (unless its extremely excessive for the road condition, i.e. 70mph in a 30mph). If you are going to crash its usually an instant / immediate thing which, doesn't matter how fast your going, you wouldn't have time to react regardless.

Rant over.
pEst_29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only found now it's about the revenue?

Same goes for Congestion Charge, it's proven it didn't help congestion one bit, and there are several other methods used around the world that don't result in revenue for the state (example: even and odd plates on alternate days). However, when it comes to finding new ways to rip off the tax payer, Britain is always the most innovative country in the world!

And now it's not about congestion anymore, it's about the environment! Do you know why? Because the government has discovered the amazing power of GUILT when it comes to having its population controlling itself: If you protest about the congestion charge you're a selfish polluter, if you complain about the cameras, you're a criminally irresponsible driver, and if you go on a bus without paying ticket they'll tell you that tickets are this expensive because of people like you costing so much to the bus company and the bonuses for the fat cats have nothing to do with it.

It's always your fault, guilty, guilty, guilty!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if we reduce the Co2 output of GB to zero, it will make a whopping 0.00037degC reduction to 'global warming, but cost us Brits billions of pounds to achieve this. Now thats a rip off based on guilt (I don't have any of that stuff, but I don't have a Chelsey Tractor as I can'rt afford thye fuel) if ever there was one. Funny we'e having the coldest snap for years when the planet is supposed to be getting hotter. Bah, humbug. Global warming! it's just an excuse for more taxes, based on the unsubstantiated bleatings of the tiny green minority. And as for plastic bags, they make up about 0.1% or less of landfill, so whats the problem there?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bah, humbug. Global warming! it's just an excuse for more taxes, based on the unsubstantiated bleatings of the tiny green minority.

Exactly. There was a bit on TV the other evening where a representative of the National Trust was saying, because of rising tides caused by Global Warming, a beach (SW area I think) would disappear as the tide would claim back the land it covered 300 years ago, the NT had no plans to attempt to stop this happening.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might spark off a few debates about Global Warming etc. but I don't think you will find anyone here to disagree with you that most speed cameras are used primarily for revenue collection.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
You might spark off a few debates about Global Warming etc . . .

Preferably in the Off Topic Forum!!
Samsung Galaxy S21
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now retired but when I was underwriting motor policies, a single SP20 correlated with about 20% more claims. But maybe the guy(or gal) who didn't see the speed camera didn't see the other car either!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
You might spark off a few debates about Global Warming etc . . .

Preferably in the Off Topic Forum!!
Given that the Original Post is not A) a rant that the camera database is a scam (you shouldn't charge, I didn't get my Lifetime award, etc.) or B) actually related to the Camera Database as such, is there any chance it could be moved to somewhere more suitable? If not, can the subject be changed to something like "The Camera Partnerships are a Scam! to fleece the poor motorist"? Every time I see it, I think "Oh no! What now?"!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Jock (and others) here it is, gone. I was quite surprised it received so many replies as it is a topic/comment that has been rather well aired - I had decided not to bore myself with and any readers by adding something you've already heard. But I agree it irked me too in the database forum.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote
Quote:
a representative of the National Trust was saying, because of rising tides caused by Global Warming, a beach (SW area I think) would disappear as the tide would claim back the land it covered 300 years ago, the NT had no plans to attempt to stop this happening.
That wasn't because of rising sea level but normal coastal erosion due to pounding by waves etc.

While I have an open mind about whether or not climate change is happening (I think it might be) I think it's part of the normal weather cycles that have been happening for millions of years.

Jolly47roger wrote
Quote:
a single SP20 correlated with about 20% more claims

What's an SP20 please:?:
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
What's an SP20 please:?:

the code used for speeding fines.

SP Code Offence
SP10 Exceeding goods vehicle speed limits
SP20 Exceeding speed limit for type of vehicle (excluding goods or passenger vehicles)
SP30 Exceeding statutory speed limit on a public road
SP40 Exceeding passenger vehicle speed limit
SP50 Exceeding speed limit on a motorway
SP60 Undefined speed limit offence

MaFt
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you MaFt, that explains why I didn't know what they were. We don't use them in Guernsey. Everyone caught speeding goes to court and is usually fined £100-£120 for a first offence and 2 or 4 weeks livence suspension if 10mph or more over the limit.

The fine & suspension go up for subsequent offences, or for exceeding the limit by higher amounts.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: