Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - G-Map Introduces Routing Solution for American iPhone Owners
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

G-Map Introduces Routing Solution for American iPhone Owners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: G-Map Introduces Routing Solution for American iPhone Owners Reply with quote

XRoad appear in the process of introducing a new alternative to Google Maps for (some) American iPhone owners, called G-Map, providing some of the turn-by-turn functionality much desired.

As detailed on their website, Here:

XRoad wrote:
Area Covered : Buffalo, NY/ Cincinnati, OH/ Cleveland, OH/ Columbus, OH/ Nashville, TN/ Pittsburgh, PA/ Rochester, NY/ Boston, MA/ Hartford, CT/ Middlesex, NJ/ Nassau-Suffolk, NY/ New York, NY/ Providence, RI/ Wilmington, DE
Stand-alone electronic map that needs no internet connection
Unfettered location search in the mountains, on the ocean, or the middle of nowhere, even when on the move
Large-capacity map data enables easy search of desired location and route
Real 3D View of intricate major intersections and highway junctions
Smart location search powered by a search engine similar to internet search engines, using keyword search
Detailed information on restaurants, hotels, and leisure destinations provided with Premium POI
POI editing and memo capability for personalized POI
Route preview provides optimal route to destination
Search by phone number and latitude/longitude
Phone number dial by POI (for iPhone terminal)

While there doesn't appear to be any voice capability, and the description is careful to define route 'preview' functionality, it remains to be seen whether the app passes the stringent SDK terms, or indeed indicates that they are due to be relaxed (perhaps when v2.2 software is released, rumoured to include some additional GPS functionality).

Despite the website's assertion that G-Map is available to download through the Apple App Store, neither UK nor US account searches show the application listed, and the lack of hype on the iPhone blogs suggests this hasn't yet reached the public (probably currently troubling Apple's approval process). There is therefore no pricing information for the 700 MB download.

As/when G-Map becomes available, please could any relevant city-dwelling American PGSW forum users post their findings? Ta!
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently we're to expect G-Map before Xmas...

Mind you, without voice prompts, on-screen routing sounds like the more dangerous option - which surely Apple's SDK Ts & Cs were most designed to prevent.

Quote:
Features:

* Stand-alone electronic map that needs no internet connection
* Unfettered location search in the mountains, on the ocean, or the middle of nowhere, even when on the move
* Large-capacity map data enables easy search of desired location and route
* Real 3D View of intricate major intersections and highway junctions
* Smart location search powered by a search engine similar to internet search engines, using keyword search
* Detailed information on restaurants, hotels, and leisure destinations provided with Premium POI
* POI editing and memo capability for personalized POI
* Route preview provides optimal route to destination
* Search by phone number and latitude/longitude
* Phone number dial by POI (for iPhone)

G-Map for Europe, Central/South America, Asia and other countries and regions will be available by the end of the year.

Full info Here, and developers site Here.
vlak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G-Map is now available on the iTunes AppStore (US) (link) for $19.99.
Area covered with this release is US West only.

Arrow Arrow Arrow • G-Map for Europe will be available within Q1 2009.

Cool
jbn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought G-Map US East yesterday in advance of a trip to Maryland / Washington DC in the next few days. £12.99 is a better prospect than paying massive roaming charges to use Maps.

First impressions:
1) Installation required a couple of reboots before it was on the phone. For installation I needed to increase free space from about 900MB to 1.5GB by dropping a movie (since replaced without any problems). It may not have helped that I was simultaneously testing my Belkin charge cable for syncing in the place of my Apple cable. (The Apple cable seems to work a little better, with the Belkin I eventually got a USB Device Not Recognised error.)

2) The application starts quickly and smoothly; I have seen comments elsewhere about how swiftly the GPS location is displayed but I cannot test that yet, and anyway that is more a feature of the iPhone hardware than this application.

3) A random check of a few favourite POIs was all ok - everything I expected was listed, and searching the POI database is fairly quick and easy. Currently it is possible only to search by type - once you have chosen a type there is no subquery based on the name. I cannot imagine why such a feature could not be offered in a future release.

4) You can set your current location to be other than the GPS (default) but the application is geared more towards routing than pure mapping. I say this because in order to display a map around an area you have to use the routing menu to select your POI, location or whatever that you wish to set as origin, rather than this being directly accessible from the View Map screen. Again, more of a menu design query rather than a functionality issue, the facility to do it is there.

5) Routing works exactly like Maps - you are at the centre of the screen (North up) and tracking a highlighted path. I have read that rerouting works in this app but again I cannot test this yet.

I will try to update this after I have had a chance to road test it, but so far in its own way it is looking to be just as useful as Maps but without roaming charges.
jbn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a chance to try it out for a couple of days, here are my conclusions:

Rerouting works and relatively quickly too, just like original route calculations. Probably just as well, as the GPS lock occasionally wandered for example on freeway exits. I think this may be a feature of the way it does or does not lock to road and thus may be correctable in the application, rather than any inherent error in the GPS location. Either way, once the location was unambiguous the route was restored, and the variation was only momentary.

Routes were identical to those from my satnav.

Local POI listings were adequate rather than fully comprehensive, but I am getting spoiled by using Maps at home. There was one occasion where I did use Maps as no satnav would have contained the listing that I needed.

Altogether I am very satisfied with the application; I'll be looking forward to the European version.
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it really have no voice prompts at turn locations??

Surely that means at tricky junctions you need to keep your eyes on the iPhone, which, IMHO, defeats the object of having a navigation system in car!

regards,

Greg
jbn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, the point is that Apple will not (yet) allow anyone to publish turn by turn navigation applications for the iPhone. This topic is debated exhaustively on iPhone-related forums, and the general conclusion is that Apple are preserving exclusivity for preferred partner(s). TomTom have often been mentioned in this regard, but I know only what I read.

G-Map is already fairly groundbreaking in using knowledge of which road you are on, for example in providing dynamic rerouting. This is not something iPhone users otherwise enjoy, as the standard Maps application overlays a route and moving dot without knowledge of the underlying roads.

Hope this clarifies!

Poscript: new version of G-Map is now out, and includes 3D view, travel up as opposed to North up, and some other bits and pieces.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the screenshots in the app store do look pretty swish, but still no EU coverage and i'm not convinced on it's usefulness without voice prompts...! perhaps they have voice prompts all ready and done awaiting eagerly for if apple ever allow it! foot in the door and all that...

MaFt
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbn wrote:
Greg, the point is that Apple will not (yet) allow anyone to publish turn by turn navigation applications for the iPhone.

Yeh I've seen all the rumours, however there are no facts. The only facts as I see it are

a) Apple have made no public announcements on turn by turn software
b) There are no 3rd party turn by turn navigation apps that include voice.

regards,

Greg
jbn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about the size of it. All I can say is that given the relative effectiveness of navigating using Maps, G-Map is a good step forward and has value, especially given the price. I look forward to European cover and will be interested to see how they price it compared with the US maps. Too much money and it simply won't be viable against active navigation software and products. If I could get Western Europe for the same price as the East or West US then I would be happy, while waiting for a complete turn by turn active navigation solution to be approved by Apple.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregh wrote:
jbn wrote:
Greg, the point is that Apple will not (yet) allow anyone to publish turn by turn navigation applications for the iPhone.

Yeh I've seen all the rumours, however there are no facts.

well, except for the iPhone SDK which states:

3.3.7 ...Applications may not be designed or marketed for real time route guidance; automatic or autonomous control of vehicles, aircraft, or other mechanical devices; dispatch or fleet management; or emergency or life-saving purposes...

this MUST be adhered to in order for any app to be considered for the app store. however, i'm not quite sure how g-map has got around this and had their app accepted? unless by not having any spoken or written directions then perhaps they have persuaded apple that it is a 'route suggestion' as opposed to guidance?!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: