Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld FREE POI Collections - Process Change
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld FREE POI Collections - Process Change
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: PocketGPSWorld FREE POI Collections - Process Change Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comDue to public demand, we have now made it easier for people to identify the free POI categories downloaded from PocketGPSWorld.

With immediate effect non-speed camera POI categories downloads will be suffixed with "PGPSW". This will make it easier to quickly determine those POIs sourced from PocketGPSWorld and those POIs sourced from elsewhere.

Should you find an inaccuracy in any POI category downloaded from PocketGPSWorld then please let us know in the usual way so that we may correct it as soon as possible.
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spoken warnings on my TomTom. Will "School 500 yards" become "SchoolPGPSW 500 yards"? Wink

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly if you use the 'automatic' speech? i thought you could type your own warnings anyway? you may have to set it up to say just school!

MaFt
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't understand why I had suddenly lost a lot of my POI warnings after updating this evening until I saw the PGPSW extention on the POI list. That's how I found myself to this part of the forum - to see what was happening.

I can see the reason for the change was sound, but I have to say that I find the effect a lot more fuss now that I either have to rename each of the 0v2 and bmp extensions or else type in each one of the spoken warnings.
PeterSm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that explains why my scripts didnt do anything!!!..

Anyway what do you mean help identify where you get the POI's from ?
You mean theres other POI sites out there!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterSm wrote:
Ah that explains why my scripts didnt do anything!!!..

Anyway what do you mean help identify where you get the POI's from ?
You mean theres other POI sites out there!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Laughing Out Loud, it's been done to assist US in identifying our files when they are shared on other sites without our permission Sad
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been caught out by this and had to spend ages renaming everything ... I can see your point but if i was going to share i would name change before before sharing so so of defeats the object ,you have already added a poi in every category ,I thought that was suppose to tell you if it was yours or not
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
I've just been caught out by this and had to spend ages renaming everything ... I can see your point but if i was going to share i would name change before before sharing so so of defeats the object ,you have already added a poi in every category ,I thought that was suppose to tell you if it was yours or not

We don't make these changes arbitrarily just to annoy you. We implemented this change for good reasons. We have a big issue with users who don't give a moments thought before sharing our data using HOME. As we invest considerable time and effort in collating and publishing these POIs we are not about to make it easy for TomTom to benefit from our work.

It takes only a few clicks to share an installed POI via HOME. The user will not have given any consideration to the fact that the data is ours and has been collated by us. As in most cases these files are original, this process enables us to quickly identify them and request they be removed from HOME. Prior to this we had to waste many hours downloading each POI and examining the contents.

No it won't stop those determined to abuse our service but it does assist us in the majority of cases as was the intention. Were you paying for this data then you may have a case for complaint but you're not so if it has subjected you to some minor inconvenience I'm sorry but not much.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't help when tomtom make it s easy to share copyrighted work....!!

MaFt
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi andy-c1,

andy-c1 wrote:
but if i was going to share i would name change before before sharing so so of defeats the object

This name change is useful to me to see where the POI category came from. A lot of businesses are publishing their own POIs (e.g. Little Chef, Travel Lodge, etc) but certainly in the past these POIs used Post Codes and were thus less accurate.

I personally feel more confident of a PGPSW database than I would of any other supplier, because know that if any errors are spotted in the PGPSW database then they are corrected very quickly.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of my poi files are on TomTom HOME, and no matter what I do I cannot get them removed.

Have clicked the boxes on HOME to get them removed, have contacted TT via their web site form mail, and even phoned. But they have not removed them.

It's a disgrace that anybody can just load these up to TT HOME without any check by TT.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop me an email if you want me to interject. This issue is rapidly building up a head of steam with the various community websites and we are getting very angry about it.

TomTom are facilitating piracy in permitting this and are doing jack to prevent it. They do remove files I report but only when they feel like it. In the 2 -5 days it takes them untold damage is caused to us.

If they don't start taking some responsibility here then we will start making very loud noises about how they are happy to permit abuses such as this. It's the kind of publicity they could well do without in the current climate.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i wasn't having a go ,I was just saying I prefer it like that .....If you ask oldboy I have submitted many many poi's changes, new, the lot ..I too don't believe it should be just given away ,is there now way you can ban them like the traffic poi's
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like andy c1 says, lots of members here correct the post code entry POIs, submit new categories or just add to existing ones. it's what helps to make this one the best to have.

That's why I get a bit miffed sometimes when people complain that a POI is not accurate, all they have to do is submit the correct location, not moan about it and wait for someone else to sort it out.

Moan over.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this post. Each of the 596 .oggs I submitted now need renaming Laughing

Darren, I will rename and mail these, and the set submitted by member Flack so you can update the download page.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: