Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom shares drop as consumer spend declines
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom shares drop as consumer spend declines
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: TomTom shares drop as consumer spend declines Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comSource: GPS Business News

TomTom's share price has fallen to a new low following concerns about possible re-financing of the sat-nav manufacturer being necessary. TomToms liquidity had already being called into question following the take over of TeleAtlas earlier in the year. On Friday TomTom shares were trading under 11 euros compared with their high of 66 euros in October of last year.

Data courtesy of Yahoo Finance

Falling margins on PND's and the economic climate reducing consumer spend with worse to come has resulted in fears of a refinancing deal being necessary.

TomTom are not alone with many fearing huge drops in profit compared with earlier forecasts and it is possible that some of the smaller market players may disappear as a result.

Last edited by Darren on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep joy! Crying or Very sad
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a new Navigator release for PPC might help cash flow Embarassed

I'll get my coat!
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:
I'll get my coat!
I'll help you on with it! Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeyMikey wrote:

I'll get my coat!

I doubt it! From what I gather, towards the end of v6 it was a loss, too much support and widely pirated.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
SpikeyMikey wrote:

I'll get my coat!

I doubt it! From what I gather, towards the end of v6 it was a loss, too much support and widely pirated.

This mostly because _paying_ customers got a little bit bored with each subsequent _paid_ version becoming actually worse; dropped features and newly _introduced_, utterly inexplicable map errors in newer maps.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's got to be the biggest long-term concern for TomTom; the same GPS business news also carries tale of an analyst predicting the market will soon shift from PNDs to mobile devices (I've been saying it for yonks, but there again I'm just anal, not an analyst!).

Now unless I'm mistaken, TomTom's strategy of partnering with a specific smartphone manufacturer signals them transitioning to a PND incorporating mobile phone technology platform, which is not, as far as I see, the same as addressing the mobile devices market.

If all their experience in the market tells TomTom they can't be successful in the mobile device space, then today's drop in valuation is just the tip of an extremely slippery iceberg!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
That's got to be the biggest long-term concern for TomTom; the same GPS business news also carries tale of an analyst predicting the market will soon shift from PNDs to mobile devices

Hmm, strange as much of the data shown to us at various events and by various manufacturers is contrary to that.
Smartphone/PDA usage is growing but much slower than forecast a few years back. PND is still seen as the major growth area.

I'm undecided, here the handset market is still lead by fashion and users will chop and change with alarming frequency. For those customers, satnav is a nice to have rather than a must have.

I used to be a heavy PDA user but have settled now on primary devices for each task as necessary. I have GPS apps on my BB and iPhone but none would replace my PND for actual navigation except as a stop gap.
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting point about mobiles because it is far easier for mobile companies to add sat nav then it is for TomTom to become a phone.
Having said that PND's will always have there place it will just be interesting to see what happens. But agree this is not good news at all.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That share price in Darrens original post has now dropped to 9.28 (-13.18%). If I've interpreted the data properly thats -50% (approximately) in one month!

First ViaMichelin pull out, now Tom Tom are suffering (Although I'm sure they'll survive). The way things are going I'll have to nick the wifes Orbit with CoPilot6 back Smile

Any rumours about ALK? Wink
lillyelse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: TomTom Reply with quote

I'm not at all surprised at the pending demise of TT, for all the reasons aforementioned.

TT may now realise they can't treat everyone like bandits in attempting to steer the satnav market in the PND direction they have decided is the way forward.

Maybe, a more sensible approach to customer's needs and aspirations may have avoided this situation arising in the first place, aided and abetted by a disregard for after-sales support for the buyer of TT products.

They even had the cheek to email me with a cut-price offer for their outdated map of WE, version....6.75! This is the very map that almost attached a pair of wings to my back during a misdirection in Norwich, and again in the west Midlands near Wolverhampton, not to mention Cornwall.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Reply with quote

lillyelse wrote:
...attached a pair of wings to my back during a misdirection in Norwich, and again in the west Midlands near Wolverhampton, not to mention Cornwall.
Finally, the answer! I'd been wondering how that Swiss chap navigated across the channel with his jet-pack! Rolling Eyes
Zebb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A low of €8.9 today. (First time I've used the Euro symbol).

Not so smug now TomTom.
lillyelse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Channel crossing Reply with quote

That Swiss guy with wings was heading for the Bristol Channel using the scenic route, but TomTom messed up the lane guidance.

Must have been using WE map version 6.75!
smiley1081
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh...

When a few months back I predectied somewhere that Garmin was going to buy Tomtom for dimes I was kidding in truth, but it seems that it could happen soon...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: