Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Off topic, looking for advise on extending range of remote
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Off topic, looking for advise on extending range of remote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynyard
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Off topic, looking for advise on extending range of remote Reply with quote

Hi, sorry for being off topic but I am looking for some advice on how to extend the range of my remote control for my garage door opener. Does anyone have any sensible advice?

I would be happy to purchase a new remote control if I could re-program with the relevant code etc.

To aid reception I have attached about 20ft of a single strand of cat 5 wire, to the wireless receiver in the door motor.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moved to off topic area

MaFt
wynyard
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: can you point to Reply with quote

Thank you for the considerable amount of understanding you have displayed in this matter. Could I trouble you once more to ask you to point me to where you have put my question, as I searched, unsuccessfully, for a general topic forum, but clearly failed and managed to offended you sufficiently, to receive such a pithy response.

I would hate to put you to further discomfort by me being unable to find my post and getting it wrong again.

Just for the record I place my question in this forum, as my previous dealings with this site have all been positive.

I am sorry you found my post to be such a problem to you.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woah there!! we have a specific 'off-topic' forum called 'Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area' so i moved it here.

we have a policy as moderators and team to 'sign off' any edits or moves etc so my post was simply to say that it was me who had moved it.

i have absolutely no idea how to increase the range of your garage remote control and hence i didn't attempt to answer.

apologies if i offended you, i was simply moving your post to the correct forum.

MaFt
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound silly, but while watching Top Gear once upon a time, they did a feature on how to increase the range on your car door remote, by putting it against your head before pressing the relevant button. I have tried this on Fords and it actually works. It also works on Vauxhalls and Mercedes. You might feel a prat, but just for the sake of trying it out, put your car at a distance from your garage door, where your remote will not normally operate, put the remote to your head and press the button. Apparently your body works as an aerial, boosting the range. It's worth a try. Laughing

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The range is usually limited by the wattage of the transmitter, if your cat 5 cable is shielded then it will be no good and any single core unshielded cable will help and run towards where you are trying to extend your signal, I have installed remotes on a ferry to signal over 1000 mtrs but always buy units to suit the distance.
wynyard
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Un sheath Reply with quote

Thank you I will take off the sheath of the wire and see if this helps. I would like to purchase a new remote and receiver but have not had a response from a couple of firms I contacted.

Sorry for the delay in responding but I missed an alert to tell me I had had a response.

To the other respondent: yes I too saw the Top Gear article and, while this appears to work with my car remote it has had no affect on the garage door problem.

Thank you again, will post a response when I get to take the sheath off the wire.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always purchased mine from RS, another place is Farnell or maplins, you can check these on the web and will give you usefull info, the first two may not neccesaraly be the cheapest but will give you usefull info, provide you can see the output swiching arrangement i dont see any reason you cannot change the reciever subject of course to dimensions.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garador are now one of the main garage door manufacturers in the country and still source remotes for old door openers. In my experience door remotes always have poor reception which I would suspect has something to do with the normally large sheet of metal between you and the receiver. I wonder if the signal would improve if the ariel were positioned outside.

I also suspect that if you door opener is an old one that modern systems may perform better, so a partial or complete system change may provide the range you need. Early christmas present???

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont say what range you want. but maplin do a single channel upto 30mtrs and also 2 channel upto 70mtrs,single channel if you press same button for up or down but yoy can still use 2 channel and not use 2 chnl/button, a few other facts you should know TX/RX units come in both FM and AM, also different Frequencies, setting the remotes ie easy by usually setting 1 or2 dip switches pushing small push buttons on the reciever (RX) along with button on Transmitter (TXor the ), It is unlikely you will find a replacement transmitter unless same make, I woulld also think that Garador will only supply for their own units, prices for above are £29.99 and about £32.00
wynyard
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Over expectation Reply with quote

Thank you for the helpful information, though on reading about the distance I expect to be able to use the remote at, I think I may have too higher expectation: I can usually open the door from over 50 metres, with one of the 3 remotes being considerably better at this than the others.

The system is only a couple of yeas old so I am not sure if this is deemed old technology or not and has two buttons, one for up and one for down, so this may be the two channel that was mentioned?

This weekend I will take a long length of un-sheathed wire and lead it to the outside of the garage door, so the radio wave are not having to get through the metal door. I can do this without the wire being visible and it will be mounted on a wooded facier.

Is there an optimal length? Or direction of travel i.e. best result vertical or horizontal?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any i have fiited with aerial have been vertical, but being a while i cannot remember any specific recomendations, but i would have thought vertical due to the radiating effect, just an opinion. i would have thought 50mtrs is reasonable distance for a home unit and think you are correct in trying as described but make sure cable unscreened.
wynyard
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
50mtrs is reasonable distance for a home unit and think you are correct in trying as described but make sure cable unscreened.

Thanks for your patience with me: can I just confirm that where you say "unscreened" this is the same as me saying unsheathed? As in take the cover off the wire, lust leaving bare wire?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, unsreened means having no metal or metallic tape screen, if you mean unsheathed in like pvc or plastic/rubber covering removing this will not make any differnce and can be left on.
wynyard
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: single core Reply with quote

Glad I asked. The wire I have is a single strand of a cat 5 cable, the ones that are marked with different colours[ white with orange orange with white etc] I do not think this has any metal in the coating just the pvc coating of the bare wire?

One end is in the receiver on the garage door then laid across the under drawing of the garage ceiling.

I can easily get this to come out of the gage and run the width of the garage door, above the door, which will have no metal in between the wire and my remote.

Regards,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: