Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - France & Spain Toll Roads Cost ~ Semi OT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

France & Spain Toll Roads Cost ~ Semi OT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: France & Spain Toll Roads Cost ~ Semi OT Reply with quote

Hi All,

Hope this is the correct place to ask this question, its basically about driving from the UK to Spain ( Alicante ) area, and the price of the tolls.

The main question is, does anyone know the cost ( by using quick toll roads ) of getting to the destination.

I have been looking at this page
http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/overseas/european_tolls_results.jsp?country=France

and as im not totally familiar with the route, its hard to calcuate. sometimes when i get my tomtom to do the a to b planner it changes slightly.

The reason why i would like to check, is because when i drove to paris about 2 years ago it cost me about 20 euros single just from calias.

If you are spending alot on these roads, is there a prepay discount / cheaper scheme etc?

Many Thanks!

MPW
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AA's route planner takes you from Calais round Paris then through central France passing Clermont Ferrard to Montpelier then past Perpingnan and Barcelona. It's 1800km from Calais. That route includes the Millau toll bridge.

I think the A75 is free (apart from the bridge) but the other tolls come to about €70 in France so if you budget about €100 each way you won't be too far out. I don't know of any discount scheme.
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mate,

Thanks for your reply, I did think I was looking at around 200 euros + for the round trip, which is approx the price of my car tax !

Cant believe that these continent toll roads cost so much, how on earth do the locals afford to drive in france & spain ?

Doesnt exactly do much for my carbon footprint, when you take into account the cost of driving, tolls, petrol etc, its probably cheaper to fly.

if you have any tips about what substitue roads to take for free that would be helpful!

Many thanks

MPW
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always choose N roads as a free alternative at the cost of a much longer journey time.

I returned from France yesterday having driven down to the Spanish border near Perpignan and back. Total Toll costs were about €140.
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Calais to Alicante is 1800Km that's 2 day's driving. Taking the N roads will add another day. If you do take the N roads then don't go through the mountains but head for Lyon and down the Rhone valley.

Don't forget, though, that every town or village name in a red border is an implicit 50km speed limit and on-the-spot fines are high. Also, you need to carry a high-vis jacket (already in Spain and after 1 October in France)
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jolly47roger wrote:
If Calais to Alicante is 1800Km that's 2 day's driving. Taking the N roads will add another day. If you do take the N roads then don't go through the mountains but head for Lyon and down the Rhone valley.

Don't forget, though, that every town or village name in a red border is an implicit 50km speed limit and on-the-spot fines are high. Also, you need to carry a high-vis jacket (already in Spain and after 1 October in France)

France - A hi-viz jacket must be worn by everyone who gets out of the car. In addition the jacket and compuslaory warning triangle(s) must also be available from inside the passenger compartment.

The reason for the triangles is apparently you must one at the back and one at the front of the car - although I have only seen this in ex-pat magazines.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify matters here as I did some research before our trip.

The driver must have an approved high-viz waistcoat available in the car (not the boot) and must don it before leaving the vehicle if stopped on a road. There is no legal requirement that jackets be available for all passengers.

Only 1 warning triangle is mandatory and this can be stored in the boot as is normal, it need not be in the vehicle.

Although the legislation came into force on July 31st, it is not being enforced until October 1st at which point fines will start to be issued.

Source (in French)
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, I am obliged for the French text. As someone who goes to France and drives there every month, there is certainly confusion about what is legal and not. The hi-viz jacket one is a point. Recently, a hire car company I use advised me that the hi-viz jackets and triangle were now in the car for legal reasons.

Last week the Riviera Reporter (ex-pat magazine) showed 2 triangles.
[url]http://www.rivierareporter.com/content/view/519/36/ [/url]*page 3 mentions the triangle and page 26 states before and after.

So more confusion, even from those in the press.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, that's the French for you! They do like to pick and choose which rules they adopt and how they are interpreted. I note the AA are asking for hard evidence from motorists as rumours abound that fines are being implemented already despite this clearly being ahead of the legislation.

I do like the idea of the hi-viz jacket though and saw many motorists wearing them already. It makes them much more visible when out of then car and I think it's one legal requirement we should adopt here.

On a separate note. I always apply the beam deflectors so as not to give the Gendarmerie any cause to target me but has anyone 'ever' seen a foreign vehicle on our roads so equipped? I don't recall ever having seen one!
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the follow up posts.

I do have some HVV in both yellow and orange, ( not combined colours - each! )

Also have my triangle in the back, and ive got my Golf Bravo sticker too!

All i need now is the monies for the tolls, cant be bothered really with N roads, if they are anything like the slow country roads in the UK i wont get there until next millenium.

Darren, how about some sponsorship monies for carrying a large PGPSW sticker on my car ! Laughing

Cheers folks.

MPW
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: BRIDGE & TUNNEL Tolls Reply with quote

Hi All,

Still looking at that AA site webpage, which has the `shocking` toll prices, Its a bit of a pain that the tunnel and bridges are not quoted what road they are on.

Thanks to Jolly Roger, i know that the Millau bridge is enroute, but otherwise i would have no idea where the others are.

is there a bright spark on here who can put a road and locations between to the other ones?

Cheers

MPW
jolly47roger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Normandie and Tancarville bridges are both by Le Havre. The tunnels are either in the Alps or the Pyrenees - if you go past Perpignan you cross the Pyrenees at Le Perthus where there is no tunnel. And you can avoid the Millau bridge by following the N road through the town - but it would be a shame to miss the fantastic view (and to fail to support the British designer)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: