Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Etrex HCx Topo UK Maps - Routing Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Etrex HCx Topo UK Maps - Routing Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
briankvedaras
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Etrex HCx Topo UK Maps - Routing Problem Reply with quote

Hi. I have upgraded my Legend to a Vista HCx with Topo UK Maps. It also came with Mapsource.

Though the unit supports autorouting, I can't get it to work. I think that it should autoroute using Topo (from what I've read), but it won't do it for me. With Topo maps only loaded, it gives a 'route calculation error - No roads near start point' error when it tries to calculate a route.

Any assistance most welcome, thanks.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that the Topo UK maps were non-routing.
Facade
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work....

When you transferred the maps from Topo, did you leave the "include route calculation data" box (beneath the list of map segments to transfer) ticked?

on the etrex

goto main menu - setup - map - i Topo Gb etc ticked

goto main menu - setup - routing

Guidance method = Prompted
Follow Road Method = Faster Time
Next turn popup = on

Follow Road Options
Off Route Recalculation = automatic
Calculation Method = Better route
Calculate routes = Car/Motorcycle
Avoid = uturns

Mine works ok.........
briankvedaras
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Great - some answers - on a better track Reply with quote

Hi Facade,

Thanks. it looks like you're on the right track (pun unintended).

That box to transfer routing data is greyed out though, no matter what I do. I'll try to find out more about how to ungrey this.

Hopefully then routing will work.
Frabble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

briankvedaras wrote:
That box to transfer routing data is greyed out though, no matter what I do. I'll try to find out more about how to ungrey this.
The option will be greyed out until you have actually selected UK Topo maps to create a map set. With my version of MapSource (6.13.7) the box is automatically ticked so the routing data will be included when the map set is transferred.
briankvedaras
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Still No Joy Reply with quote

Frabble, thanks for your email.

I had 6.11.x, and this wouldn't allow the box to be ticked when a map was selected. I found an upgrade to 6.13.7 as yours is, but it is still the same. It doesn't want to download the routing data no matte whether I preselect Metroguide Europe V9, Tope GB v2 or City Navigator Europe NT maps in any configuration.

I really am confused.
Frabble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The option won't appear for the other two products:
MetroGuide is intended for non auto-routing units and so MapSource will not include the routing data.
CN Europe NT will always include the routing data, presumably because of the compression mechanism used.

The option should be available for Topo GB.
briankvedaras
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Still no joy with topo Reply with quote

Frabble. Thanks for email. Unfortunately also with topo GB the option is greyed out.

I can't get support from the 'States on my purchase so I appear to by stymied.

I wish I'd bought in the UK after all!
briankvedaras
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: No go - Even with Topo and City Nav Unlock Codes Reply with quote

I had already installed City Nav Europe NT 2008 on my PC, as it came as a free upgrade when I bought my Nuvi Sat Nav.

So, thinking that it was a Topo routing problem, I bought an unlock code for City Nav Europe NT 2008 from the US supplier. That should have given me routing ability in Europe even if I can't route via Topo in GB.

But, even though I unlock the map in Mapsource (using the wizard) and the system accepts the unlock code, it won't let me download the City Nav maps to the Etrex because they are 'not unlocked' for my product.

I can't seem to unlock on the Garmin website, even though all the products are legitimate because I don't have product ID/Codes. I thought that as I already held the licence for City Nav for my Nuvi, then buying an unlock code would be all I needed to to to extend licence coverage to my Etrex Vista HCx

Not withstanding that Topo GB is not compatible with Mapsource 6.14.1, I tried 6.13.7 and that makes no difference whatsover.

Uninstalling Topo doesn't improve the situation, there is still no recognition of the unlock, and the 'send routing information' checkbox at the bottom of the maps tab is still greyed out.

Any help to get my City Nav unlocked, and the ability to setup Mapsource to download routing information would be most appreciated.

Help!!!???
Frabble
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. You can search Garmin Support about unlock issues but I'll briefly summarise.
Locked maps are unlocked with a 25 character code. This is specific for the map product and the GPS unit. This will let you view the maps in MapSource and on the unit when transferred.
Your pre-installed product, CN Europe NT 2008 and Nuvi, would have come with a 7 character registration code and 25 character unlock code. This you can enter directly into MapSource using the Unlock Wizard.
Standalone products, like Topo GB, come with an 8 character coupon code. The 25 unlock code is generated based on the coupon code and GPS unit ID/serial number using the Unlock Wizard by going through Garmin and for this you need to register.

Your customer ID will be whatever you registered with first, 7 character registration code or 8 character coupon code.
If you run the Unlock Wizard and select View my installed unlock codes, you will get a list of Maps/Regions and the unit they are unlocked for.

Can you confirm that your maps are unlocked for the Vista HCx?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: