Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which nav software to use with HTC Touch Diamond
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which nav software to use with HTC Touch Diamond

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madgumbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Which nav software to use with HTC Touch Diamond Reply with quote

i hope this is the right forum to ask this. i've just ordered a HTC Touch Diamond phone which is a windows based phone. can someone point out what navigation options are available to me (i.e tomtom, navman etc)
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can choose form ALK copilot, Igo8, Navigon, garmin, tomtom i think it may comes with tt7 but dont quote me on this, and also directions navigator 8 as well as many others that. if the application will run on a wm6.1 pda then it should work with yourtouch diamond

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That phone only has internal storage there is no capability for fitting an external memory card, so any application that is supplied locked to the memory card is out of the question - IGo is one such nav package that you would not be able to use on this device, McGuider is another one that locks to the cards ID so this would also prevent use of the application.

TTN7 is supplied with the phone IF purchased from O2 Germany, which is a little strange considering the German authorities have recently decided it is illegal to use a phone for navigation in a vehicle.

I have moved this thread to the mobile phones section where it is probably better suited - Mike
chappers-UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vodafone HTC Touch Diamond with Navigator 7 installed. I have connected it to TT Home and purchased Western Europe maps for it. Works like a dream, so much so that my Go910 has to Go
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very interested in buying this phone, but need to know if it works with TT - especially since it has no card slot.

Chappers - Was the TT7 already on the Touch Diamond when you bought it and if so where did you get the phone from and on what network (or was it network free) please? If you installed it yourself where did you get TT7 from and how did you install it with no card slot?

Has anybody successfully installed TT6 on this phone and if so how. Can you just copy the SD card onto the internal memory?

Thanks for all your help.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, Copying the card to the phones memory will get it working, for installation of the actual application just use the CAB file installation method, treat the inbuilt 4GB memory as a large memory card that simply cannot be removed.
You might want to wait a week of so and have a look at the new unit which has the same spec as the Diamond but has a slide out keyboard and a memory card slot rather than built in memory. This new phone is/ was code named "Raphael" otherwise known as "HTC Touch Pro"

The TTN7 is still an unknown, only certain network providers have offered this with the Diamond phone, only O2 Germany is confirmed to do this AFAIK - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

thanks for your answer - a mine of useful information as always.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the CAB file installation method please? I have bought TT6 on an SD card (not DVD). Also I need to know if 4GB is going to be enough - what would be the size of software and maps if I had Western Europe and USA on it please? Will I have enough room for anything else like music?

Yes I have just seen the Touch Pro on the HTC website. Thicker and heavier though and that is what I am trying to get away from in my Ipaq. But on the other hand loads more ROM & RAM than the touch diamond. Oh I hate decisions!
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name CAB file is actually short for Cabinet (file format), it is used for program installation, on the old SD cards was a folder named 2577, in this were the CAB files, you can also get the CAB files via download from the TT web site.
They are handy to have on the device, if you have to hard reset the phone while out away from the PC, all you do is run the CAB file using File Explorer (the CAB file is stored on the SD Card so it doesn't get erased - not an option with the Diamond).

Map size shouldn't be an issue, with Western Europe and USA installed around 1,9GB of your storage space will be in use - with 2GB remaining that isn't enough for a return transatlantic flights worth of music!

I liked the Artemis because of its compactness, but missed the capability the keyboard offers you, I have been considering the Touch Pro, but in the end I decided to try a different route (see Here - McGuider for the navigation software and MWg for the phone hardware, I have only had this combination for a little over a week but so far I am impressed - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

again thanks for the help. Looks like the Touch Diamond will work.

I have 2 cab files in 2577, ttn.cab & ttn2003.cab. Presumably once I have copied all of the SD card onto the new device I just run one of these by double clicking it in file explorer? If so which one please? Presumably I will then get asked to put my code in which I will get from TTcode?

Excuse the "beginners" questions. Despite being a member for a while and using the forums a lot, once I put TT5 on my Ipaq I have never had to touch it since. Have now bought TT6, originally for use on the Ipaq, but now am thinking of replacing the Ipaq as well.
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to tap both CAB files to fully install the TT software, the order in which you tap them doesn't matter, once it starts to install the PDA will ask a number of questions just answer Yes to complete the installation, IIRC one of the questions prompts for where to install the software to, either memory or storage, I generally put programs in to memory.

I guess you are lucky, I must mess around with the PDA based phones too much - Hard resets are not too uncommon, hence the reason I carry around with me the CAB files (just in case) - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

well I have now got the Touch Diamond and so far I am very impressed - the screen is the sharpest I have ever seen on a phone or PDA, and google maps work well with the phone picking up 6 or 7 satelites when I am indoors. But still got to install TT6.

It occurred to me that you may not be aware that I have TT6 on SD format not DVD. When the card goes into the PDA first it is supposed to autorun - presumably using the info in the autorun.inf file in the root directory - which says startup installtomtomhome.exe. So could I just transfer the lot over to the internal drive on the HTC and then in file explorer double click installtomtomhome.exe? Would that be an easier way?

Again thanks for all your help
Copilot for USA
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just answered my last question myself accidently Surprised

I transferred all of the contents of the TT SD card to the internal disc space on the HTC using USB file transfer (not activesync) on my computer. I did that so I would be ready for Mike's answer when it came.

However the moment I disconnected the USB cable from the HTC Tom Tom sprang to life and immediately started self installation programme - so obviously removing the cable had the same result as putting in an SD card in a slot! Got my code from TT code and all went well

All now successfully installed and appears to be working very well. In fact TT looks so much better with this VGA screen - much sharper and more detail. At the moment I am sitting indoors and have 4 out of 5 bars showing on the satelite strength meter.

So to sum up - yes TT6 will definately work on the HTC and it appears at first glance to be a great combination! So one very happy and relieved bunny - all I need now is a new Brodit mount, and check that the HTC will speak to my Parrot!
Copilot for USA
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE - Not so happy bunny!!

The phone bit of my HTC will speaks to the Parrot fine - got full handsfree via car audio. BUT it won't send TT voice messages - so at the moment they are not amplified.

Have started a new topic on this in the hope that somebody will be able to help me sort it out
Copilot for USA

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: