Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - O2 orbit can't get either GPS receiver to work??????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

O2 orbit can't get either GPS receiver to work??????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomtom6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: O2 orbit can't get either GPS receiver to work?????? Reply with quote

Hi! Reading some of the topics in this forum I don't think I can find better place for help. Smile

I was given an XDA orbit from workplace and I installed tomtom 5 on it. The problem I'm having is that I can't get any of GPS receivers to work. I know it has build in GPS but I also have holox GPS receiver which is the fastest one I've tried (54 chanels) locks within seconds. So far I haven't had any luck with any of them. There was a sugestion in this forum using port 4 with 9600 baudrate for the internal one but it didn'work for me. I've tried various combinations with the external one still no luck Sad I just don't seem to hit the right one. On the External GPS settings on the XDA I have (GPS program port & GPS hardware port) and on the tomtom GPS configuration settings I select (Other bluetooth GPS) and the only ports available I get are in the same order as follows:

COM9:
GPS PORT
COM0:
COM2:
SERIAL PORT

I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to set it up properly each GPS receiver but I prefer to use the bluetooth one as I've tried it on a nokia N95 8GB and it is tremendously quick and stable.

:roll:Any sugestion is wellcome! Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, are you sure you have fuly setup the GPS to work with the phone before you start the TomTom application? quite often the vital step of setting the outgoing comm port is missed, have a read of This Thread for some details, it used a different device to the one you have but setting up the devices will be the same (just the port numbers will differ) - Mike
tomtom6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for your quick attention!

Ihave set it up OK acording to the guide the problem is that when it comes to setting up new outgoing port I only have 2 options either port 6 or 7. and when I go to tomtom program GPS configuration settings these ports do not show at all instead I only get the ports in order listed above COM9, COM0 & COM2 ?????
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me 30 minutes to charge up my Artemis (which your Orbit-I is based on) and I will find out what the port values are as I cannot remember for the specific device and the battery is flat at the moment - Mike
tomtom6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Shocked
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to Start/ Settings/ Systems tab then select the GPS applet check it is set as follows:
Pograms tab (COMM4)
Hardware Tab (None) Baud rate 4800
Access Tab "Mange Automatic....." ticked

When connecting the GPS via Bluetooth to the device I used Comm 6

In TomTom I used Other Bluetooth GPS Receiver
I am offered COMM 6 at the bottom of the list, once selected this works.

========================================

To use the built in GPS Receiver try the following settings within TomTom:
Other NMEA Receiver
Baud rate 9600
Com4

Check your GPS applet settings before messing around too much as this icon causes most of the problems with GPS config when it is played around with. If you get no joy with any of the above (which I know work on my HTC Artemis having just tried them) then can you post back what the version number of your TTN software is, 5,0 or 5,1 or 5,21

The reason my Artemis is flat is due to the fact I haven't used it for a couple of weeks, very capable device but I have moved on to different hardware for the main phone these days. - Mike
tomtom6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I go to Start/ Settings/ Systems tab then select the GPS applet and I select as follows:
Pograms tab (COMM4)
Hardware Tab (None) Baud rate 4800
Access Tab "Mange Automatic....." ticked

When connecting the GPS via Bluetooth to the device I'm offered com4 instead, on very top of the list, and if I select that on tomtom all I get now (no valid GPS signal).
Bluetooth GPS receiver (BT541) model is transmiting OK but on XDA GPS status I get the blue&yellow little circle spining which means the connection has been made, but in the diagrame where north, south, west & east poles are displayed, instead of N pole I get no:29.
It has been staying like that for like 30 min, and if i was to connect my N 95 there is no problem at all.

Any sugestions..........?
tomtom6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by the way ......
I am using tomtom version 5.00
GPS driver v1.20
GB map v562

If it helps on the xda is installed Promobile version 3.2
it is a software that is used to receive jobs as I am a courier.
I wonder if that software is occupying any port or interfering in any way. Idea
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it outside and wait for the unit to obtain a position fix, the number 29 is one of the GPS sats that the unit can see - once it has acheived a position fix it will work.
I would recommend you update the TTN software to 5,21 which is a better (and the most upto date release) of the navagtor 5 application, you can download it for free from This Page - Mike
tomtom6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the sugestion. I'll try and i post back.
Sorry I couldn't reply any sooner as I was away for the weekend
tomtom6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike you're a star. Laughing
The internal GPS is that good and fast that I'm not gona bother with the bluetooth one anymore. I'll keep that for my nokia as alternative (just in case)
Thanks a bunch for your great help!
Very much appreciated.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got it all sorted, The GPS receiver in the phone is best described as adequate, a decent external receiver will generally outperform the HTC unit. But, as a single device it works very well - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: