Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The PocketGPSWorld.com Suggestion Box
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The PocketGPSWorld.com Suggestion Box
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Tom59 wrote:
I feel very strongly that the POI database could be more attractive than the Camera Database to some users, if it was completely accurate, up to date and easily downloadable.
Even if it meant taking on some POI verifiers, or employing another MaFt (sorry MaFt, but we need more like you!), I believe that this alone would increase interest in the website.

This is of course a very difficult proposition. The scale of the POI database is potentially 100 times that of the Speed Cameras, we would need far more verifiers and admins to accomplish this task. One of the problems we would have is funding the project. Currently there is no charge for the POI database, to recruit the admins and verifiers for this we would have to start charging. This would raise a lot of issues with people who are happy with the way the POI database is at the moment.

I wonder whether more marketing of the POI database would encourage more people to use and update it? even something as simpl as a nice big icon somewhere near the top of the page might get it noticed more than the current two line entry right at the very bottom of the sidebar. I realise this will make more work for Richard if more submissions are received, but the POI database is a product that could be used to attract people to the site, rather than being one of its lesser features.
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Tom59 wrote:
I feel very strongly that the POI database could be more attractive than the Camera Database to some users, if it was completely accurate, up to date and easily downloadable.
Even if it meant taking on some POI verifiers, or employing another MaFt (sorry MaFt, but we need more like you!), I believe that this alone would increase interest in the website.

This is of course a very difficult proposition. The scale of the POI database is potentially 100 times that of the Speed Cameras, we would need far more verifiers and admins to accomplish this task. One of the problems we would have is funding the project. Currently there is no charge for the POI database, to recruit the admins and verifiers for this we would have to start charging. This would raise a lot of issues with people who are happy with the way the POI database is at the moment.

Maybe you could get a couple of people from each county to be verifiers that wouldn't require much payment maybe a few life memberships. I for one would be glad to help out in Lincolnshire to keep the most excellent POI database more accurate. It is a great product and I do like my POI's to be accurate. It can also be quite addictive updating the database.
NA 2GB v8.45
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoppy wrote:
Maybe you could get a couple of people from each county to be verifiers that wouldn't require much payment maybe a few life memberships.

It's not quite as simple as that. I'm a verifier for the cameras and I'm unpaid. That's how I prefer it - if I verify a camera, everybody is really grateful and thanks me no end. Not true, but conversely, nobody is on my back to verify some camera or other somewhere - I haven't been paid for it, so they can't order me around.

Take Lincolnshire. I pay you with a free lifetime membership, then this week I ask you to verify a mere eight POIs, say ASDAs, in Gainsborough, Scunthorpe, Grimsby, Skegness, Boston, Spalding, Grantham and Lincoln. 200 miles round trip, not much of a bargain for your "free" membership, but if you've been paid, you'd better get on with it PDQ. Oh and get them spot on or maybe I'll take your free membership away!

On the other hand, carry on as you are now and your work, as and when you can do it, is REALLY appreciated. Maybe we don't say so often enough or loud enough. In which case THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Maybe a really good suggestion in regard to POIs would be a monthly announcement of how many the top five submitters sent in (new or corrections, doesn't matter which). I don't know if it's possible to set up the count.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:

I wonder whether more marketing of the POI database would encourage more people to use and update it?

And the banner entry at the top! 318,000 FREE POIs
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoppy wrote:
Maybe you could get a couple of people from each county to be verifiers that wouldn't require much payment maybe a few life memberships. I for one would be glad to help out in Lincolnshire to keep the most excellent POI database more accurate. It is a great product and I do like my POI's to be accurate. It can also be quite addictive updating the database.

There is no realistic chance of any team of verifiers no matter how big being able to verify every POI in all the various categories we offer.

We don't nee them to be verified for exacting accuracy in the same way as we do camera POIs so the existing system should be a good basis but it is the actual acceptance of a POI step that is the bottle neck. Without it we leave the data open to abuse and erroneous entries, with it we slow the acceptance of new POis and corrections down.

What the answer is I don't know but verifiers are not the issue nor a feasible proposition I feel?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, I thought "banner entry at the top" would mean something like ...

318,000 FREE POIs

not something like ...

318,000 FREE POIs Cool

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a relative newcomer I would love to be able to use a mobile version of the camera submission part of the site with the same access to the maps etc. I realise that with all the various mobiles around, this would be easier said than done - or would it? The other thing I would like to see is the separation of the ROI cameras that could be easily added along side the UK cameras for us road warriors who are often in Ireland via the north or the ferries into Dublin etc. but not requiring all the european listings.
TVRGRIFF
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think pocket GPS is great and I have european maps.
The problem that I have is that when I go round the Rennes rocade ring road in France the speed cameras are not on the database nor some on the Nantes periphique.

To notify you of new cameras we have to give latitude and longitude.
impossible in france- bad enough in england
Could we have or do we have an easier system.
On my road angel unit you can store or delete as necessary by pushing the button at the spot it occurs.
My garmin nuvi deluxe 310 does not have this facility.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVRGRIFF wrote:
I think pocket GPS is great and I have european maps.
The problem that I have is that when I go round the Rennes rocade ring road in France the speed cameras are not on the database nor some on the Nantes periphique.

To notify you of new cameras we have to give latitude and longitude.
impossible in france- bad enough in england
Could we have or do we have an easier system.
On my road angel unit you can store or delete as necessary by pushing the button at the spot it occurs.
My garmin nuvi deluxe 310 does not have this facility.

press the main screen when you see a camera. the map will go to 2d mode with an option of 'save...'. use this to save that location then at a later date get the coordinates of this saved favourite and submit it :D

MaFt
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum front page layout is heavily text based with a hell of a lot of sub categories to scroll through (serious PITA on a handheld). Even the ads are text based meaning they blend into the peripheral information. Remember that saying:a picture is worth.....
I am familiar with this site be sometimes it is easier to use the "find" function in my browser to search for a section rather than scroll up and down.
I would prefer large image icons for the main categories, and the sub category only becomes visible when the cursor hovers over.
Also do we really need to know the staff and moderators for each sub category? they are always going to be the same throughout the whole forum?
Maybe just the Xmas team "mug shot" on the front page for users to relate to Laughing
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Y'know, I thought "banner entry at the top" would mean something like ...

318,000 FREE POIs

not something like ...

318,000 FREE POIs Cool

I have just looked for it, and it took me a few mins to find it. Doh. Rolling Eyes
I was looking for something like the 'Speed Camera Database' link logo, or the WE NEED YOU' link logo, not a tiny link mixed with the others at the top of the page, or have I still missed it?
Edit:
And when I found it, I had to scour the text again to find out how to submit a POI. Perhaps a larger link to 'Submit' might attract more submissions.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

And when I found it, I had to scour the text again to find out how to submit a POI. Perhaps a larger link to 'Submit' might attract more submissions.

how about now?
ken008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Garmin POI capture software Reply with quote

How about some software for the Garmin to capture POI's. Question

I realise it is probably a lot easier requested than implemented, otherwise some birght spark would have already done it. Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin don't offer an SDK so this isn't possible and TomTom withdrew their SDk last year so we can no longer support the new devices either Crying or Very sad
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to open up the news section a bit. Not everyone likes forums. While a great many of the website visitors are only browsing, most likely as a result of a google search, (notice how so many of the gps related searches on google come here) many probably won't post.

Give visitors something to browse outside of the forum, like a better News page layout something akin to the bbc news front page, with easier links to the reviews, videos, pictures, wallpapers etc.

Example:- If I were a new comer how easy would it be for me to happen across the tomtom cursors, or poi's which are at the bottom of the page. Things like this are what make pgpsw what it is so put them at the top and make them visable.

Maybe it's time to look at a few new forum suppliers.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: