Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Apple open the iPhone App Store on iTunes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple open the iPhone App Store on iTunes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Apple open the iPhone App Store on iTunes Reply with quote

With less than 24 hours to go before the launch of the new GPS enabled iPhone Apple have opened the App Store on iTunes. Already there are 15 applications available in the Navigation section of the App Store mainly based around Public Transport in the USA. The price of these does seem to be a little extortionate £9 for an map of the San Francisco BART (Bay Area Rapid Transport) system does seem somewhat high with little explanation to justify this price.

The app that caught my eye though was Where this is a FREE Social Networking app showing Local Based places and people. There is no truth in the rumour that I am a coffee junkie and the Starbucks icons were like a magnet to my eyes... Actually I will be in San Francisco at the Moscone Center later this year...

Click here to visit the Apple iTunes Navigation App Store. You need to have iTunes loaded on your computer.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, you're fast. I was just gonna do a write-up about that very topic.

Fine then. I'll just mock this early stage of the app store then, by pointing out that they put "Flashlight" into the navigation section, because turning your JesusPhone into a flashlight (or torch, as you'd call it) helps you find your way.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty much Window shopping at the moment for most people anyway. Sad to see that there are no big navigation names there yet.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My informants tell me that Apple pretty much told TomTom to off, even though the latter produced a version of their navigation software that works perfectly on the new GPS-equipped iPhones.

Being the ever paranoid fella that I am, I'd say that's because who would buy any of those programs from free to $14.99 plus tax from the Apple store, if there's one killer app that does it all, and what it doesn't do, can be added on for free.
vlak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite the TomTom, but...
http://gizmodo.com/5024018/telenav-confirms-iphone-in+car-navigation-app
Quote:
TeleNav confirmed to us today that its app will include full-color 3D moving maps and the turn-by-turn voice guidance and traffic-aware routing the iPhone Maps program itself is missing. TeleNav already makes decent GPS nav software for Sprint and AT&T phones, way better than Verizon's VZ Navigator. No word on price, but the good news is, it'd have to be available through the App Store, not as a subscription thing from AT&T.

Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, I hope the app store gets better than this rubbish. Rolling Eyes Can just imagine some annoying ah going through this repertoire at the bar.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting.
Tether the iPhone to your lappy for 3G internet access, as long as your provider does not find out.
This is the second app of this type, the last one was pulled after a few days.

Edit:Pulled again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: