Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Google sign five year map agreement with TeleAtlas
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Google sign five year map agreement with TeleAtlas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Google sign five year map agreement with TeleAtlas Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comTeleAtlas have announced that Google have signed a five year license agreement that gives Google continued access to TeleAtlas map data and content.

The agreement covers all Google's current and future map-based service offerings which includes Google Maps and Google Earth and Google's mobile offering, Google Maps for Mobile.

The agreement also gives TeleAtlas access to corrections and edits from Google community users which will be used to further enhance the data currency of TeleAtlas maps.
Quote:
“Google’s innovation and leadership is undisputed, and we are proud to have the opportunity to be the map foundation for one of the world’s most progressive web companies,” said Bill Henry, CEO of Tele Atlas. “This agreement is important too because it gives us access to input from a significant online community of map users, whose feedback can help us keep our maps fresh and accurate.”

“Geospatial data enhances global search significantly by organizing data and delivering results based on location,” said John Hanke, director of Google Earth and Google Maps. “Tele Atlas’ map quality and the company’s innovative approach to business were the key drivers for our decision.”

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also see here:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/press/annc/mapmaker_20080624.html

notice it appears to be intially to harvest new map data (look at the countries listed) as opposed to correcting already known (but wrong!) data!

MaFt
drogg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my area NavTech seem to have the better data. Many addresses without roads are missing from the Tele Atlas data, essential for pedestrian use. And where is the Isle of Man?

Regards
drogg
jedidaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Navteq does have more accurate and detailed maps. Teleatlas want to shape up a bit and listen to users. I have sent many corrections directly to Teleatlas using their site but years go by with the same mistakes present. Even the Mapshare that tomtom users have is useless as you have to start all over again when you upgrade (downgrade?) your maps
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience TeleAtlas data is just as good as Navteq overall. Both have their issues but taken as an overall view neither is 'best'.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my locality i find navteq mapping better, but on my travels, as darren says, both have their faults!

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that in my 'locality', TA is better. I live in an area surrounded by military roads and garrison roads. Navteq deem all these as private and so non-navigable despite them being open to the public and in many cases the only route from one place to another!
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this should be cool.. tele atlas will be able to get more user feedback through google maps. should result in better maps for all.
jedidaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS i wrote before, even when reported they don't fix
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reported various problems in Sheffield city centre four years ago via e.mail to TeleAtlas and via the TomTom website (well before Mapshare).
I used my Latest Map Guarantee two months ago and Sheffield is still the same.
Why bother? Evil or Very Mad

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sure they have to apply changes they believe are the most urgent. i'm sure they get millions of recommendations, and remember, they have to go by the vans, the satellites, etc.. which all come before user data, i'm afraid.
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Gmonkey, but I have to disagree.
Both TeleAtlas and TomTom have been in this business for years, the hardware needed is already in place. Do you not think that the centre of one of the largest cities in the UK is just a little bit urgent after four years?
I can't work out if they are complacent, negligent or just downright criminal. While people are willing to throw money at them and they do not have any kind of accountability to their customers, then I'm afraid that there will always be some excuse why they cannot get their act together.

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
p60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Tom59,got TomTom 920 in January, I have the same problem, major road A13 going into London, slip road at Plaistow some roads missing, junction complete mess I got the new maps last month still the same. I had Bluemedia bm6300 before with Navteq maps dated Q3 2005 and junction was detailed perfectly which it should have been as its been opened since 2001
lillyelse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have we missed a point here? Don't TomTom own TeleAtlas now? Can't help thinking this is why TT have dropped support for Navigator 6, and any updates. Why bother, when there easier pickings, eh? I'm ready to ditch TT right now for Igo 8, but still waiting for Text to Speech to arrive first. Anyone tried TT at street level in Norwich and other city centers? What a disaster.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've never had anything back from teleatlas but i had this from navteq today:

Quote:
Thank you for your recent Map Report. We have completed our investigation of your Map Report.

For the NAVTEQ tracking number: xxxxxxxxxxx
Submitted on : 11, Mar 2008 08:18:17
Problem Description: This entry slip road was covered up about 5 years ago in a bid to stop people racing down from Thornton Road onto Rhodesway via the slip road. Entry is now via the sharper turn 500yd further east so traffic must slow down to enter the residential area.

Our Resolution Outcome is: Database Updated - Intersection Coding
Details: Based on field verification, the reported intersection has been adjusted in the NAVTEQ database.

4 months isn't bad in my opinion to correct a small error in the back of beyond!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: