Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Software and Map Updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Software and Map Updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevemlee566
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Software and Map Updates Reply with quote

I have been hearing all day, on my local radio station, how the people of one of my local villages are writing to SatNav manufacturers to log changes. This has arisen due to HGV's going down streets that have weight limits and are not designed for such vehicles, when questioned the drivers stated that "their SatNav's had directed them there".

The idea is if the locals write to the manufacturers then the alterations will be logged.

Nice theory, if only things worked that way! What about the thousands of people who already have Satellite Navigation systems and don't receive map updates? For all of them they will still get sent the wrong way down street either not designed for the vehicle or as happened in some cases the vehicle driver and all get stuck in inaccessible places or even rivers.

Shouldn't there be more of an incentive for SatNav system manufacturers to update their software if they have made such an error rather than putting extra cost on the purchaser to buy new maps all of the time?

I look forward to hearing your views Rolling Eyes
mattstachurski
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my tomtom go720 updates when docked and i have seen map changes i have suggested implemented without me having to buy a new map so the technology is there. once tracks are now roads, oneway streets changed so it no longer routes me down them!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
when questioned the drivers stated that "their SatNav's had directed them there".

Quote:
For all of them they will still get sent the wrong way down street either not designed for the vehicle or as happened in some cases the vehicle driver and all get stuck in inaccessible places or even rivers.

There's a simple answe to this.

Those affected should carefully repackage thier device and all accessories, return to the shop and ask for a refund.

When the salesperson asks why they just have to say.

'Cos I'm too bloody stupid to own or use a Sat Nav device'.

Problem solved. Very Happy

And come to that, if drivers blindly follow the instruction without taking due care of road conditions, maybe they should send their licence back to the DVLC because they shouldn't be on the road.
mattstachurski
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very true, well said!! Clap
SpacedMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't all satnavs have the option to rout according you wether your in a car, truck, on a bike or on foot?

I know my TomTom does, perhaps these people should read the instruction manual.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: