Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Forum Signatures Rule Reminder
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Forum Signatures Rule Reminder

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Forum Signatures Rule Reminder Reply with quote

Darren,

Just a brief (I'll try) post to say, that whilst I understand what you are saying about long forum signatures, the rules as you now explicitly explain them, WILL have a detrimental impact, in that they are still too restrictive.

My own sig, as it stands for now, until it is changed in line with new policy, is an example of a fairly lengthy one (hey, what a surprise, what do you know! Laughing )

But wait..

All it does is:

1) Remind people reading the foot of a post, WHO it is from (i.e. repeats my name)
2) Gives my GPS Data, as I am told it is explicitly needed/desired on here.
3) Also adds one sentence about how my join date does not adequetly reflect the date I actually started posting from.

NOTHING really wrong with any of that, but it will be MUCH more than the current stated rules will allow for.

EVEN IF I remove item (3) as Superflous, then (1) and (2) will still be too much.

And even if I then remove (1) and leave ONLY the relevant item (2), four lines will NOT allow us to give the relevant information in our signature, for our GPS, in any measure of form that will be easy on the eye.

Quite aside from which, using Signatures ONLY for GPS data, is a rather LOT Draconian a view to take. And not what i thought this place was about.

It's not for a member's life story. But seriously must we ALL be automatons, with no uniqueness to us (save for different device models listed), in that we must all have the same old, same boring "This is my specs..." signature, with not even the smallest amount of additional intersting uniqueness too it?

I'm not trying to be confrontational - or at least not any more than the example of Asda and Tesco etc... "You can park here for no more than 2.5 hours" - utterly cheesing off the best (paying, not frequent) customers, who regularly take more than this to do the once a month only, long shop.

I've never actually yet stated how counter-productive, and customer vexing, this is, to a Store Manager, but that does not make me see it as any less of a bad thing.

In the same way, I HEAR YOU - I know what you are saying about some of the signatures getting off topic, out of ahand and way long....

But a hard and fast appraoch, and the rules your recent thread states, will impact a lot of us, who never for one moment EVER thought we did anything wrong, or to offend.

And will both severely hamper our ability to convey said relevant information, as well as engender a possibility of every one of us becoming drudges, as to the same signature for all, as it's either Device Details, OR something unique, but no way can you, or will you have both.

Please - not a go, or dig... just a thought, and request for a more common sense, assess each on its merits, approach, rather than the one size fits all, four lines, no matter what you use it for, rule change.

Oops, that was brief...? I apologise, should have seen it coming.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules have been in place for a long time, there is no need for lengthy signature. The majority of members here manage quite happily.

GPS kit can be summarised on one or two lines quite easily and in the case of your signature, what your join date and posting date has to do with anything I have no idea, why do we need to know?

What's wrong with
Quote:
Shadamehr
Go 730T, Traffic via Nokia N82
App 8.002 Map 'Western_and_Central_Europe' v805.1801
That provides the same info.

Any-hoo, It's a polite request and not open for debate. There has to be a line drawn somewhere and in this case the limit is is 4 lines for a signature, it's proved to be perfectly good for 6 years and I see no reason or justification for it to change now.

We will start removing the signatures of those who do not abide by the rules as of Monday.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Signatures Rule Reminder Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
Just a brief (I'll try)

You failed, magnificently.

Quote:
1) Remind people reading the foot of a post, WHO it is from (i.e. repeats my name)

Ignoring the fact that I doubt that anyone could forget who it is from while reading one of your posts, if you kept your posts to less than a screen's worth, your name would still be visible.

Quote:
2) Gives my GPS Data, as I am told it is explicitly needed/desired on here.

I'm sure that even you could get that information into fewer lines.

Quote:
3) Also adds one sentence about how my join date does not adequetly reflect the date I actually started posting from.

What's THAT got to do with the price of fish? People judge your posts on their content, not how long you've been a member or been posting.

Quote:
It's not for a member's life story. But seriously must we ALL be automatons, with no uniqueness to us (save for different device models listed), in that we must all have the same old, same boring "This is my specs..." signature, with not even the smallest amount of additional intersting uniqueness too it?

Don't worry, you supply plenty of that in the body of your posts.

Quote:
Oops, that was brief...? I apologise, should have seen it coming.

Indeed we should. Very Happy
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Signatures Rule Reminder Reply with quote

@ Darren: Fair enough, but after letting us have the sigs we do so long, this then seems arbitrary.

I appreciate you referring us the the rules (that I have never been made aware of before), but I counter with the fact that YOU can control signature length, by specifying a character limit (which they already have).

By adhering to the character limit that already exists, huge numbers of us never for one moment, thought we would (or could therefore) be doing any wrong.

Oh well. Not seen that before mate, honestly - everywhere else, if you want a signature length limit, the Admins simply set one. As this site HAS such a limit, I thought we WERE doing what is required of us - that's all I meant, rest assured

No problem though, it's easy sorted.

@ BMusket... Yawn. Your words are different each time. The boring nature of your digs is EXACTLY the same on every occasion however. So YAWN is the diplomatic response back from me. Feel free to have usual essential last word you crave each time by posting below. I'd suggest, given Darren's input in this thread, you remain ON Topic however, if you REALLY need to respond.

Back @ Darren - forgive me, not for my subject, or length (though I do apologise for those anyway as well), but specifically, if it gave the usual suspect a platform to be his usual self in response.

And with that, I'm unsubscribing from this particular thread, so I do not get dragged into anything with BMuskett, or drag this on, rest assured Boss.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Signatures Rule Reminder Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
@ Darren: Fair enough, but after letting us have the sigs we do so long, this then seems arbitrary.

I appreciate you referring us the the rules (that I have never been made aware of before), but I counter with the fact that YOU can control signature length, by specifying a character limit (which they already have).

By adhering to the character limit that already exists, huge numbers of us never for one moment, thought we would (or could therefore) be doing any wrong.

We don't employ a character limit, never have. It's physical page length we're trying to counter here hence the line limit on sigs.

I have not enforced this rule in the past because most transgressions were minor but some signatures are way past that now and are almost posts in themselves, there is no need and thus we have chosen to remind users of our rules, simple as that.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, Darren, I have seen the Profile entry which says (alongside the signature box) limit 300 characters. And I have to admit I only noticed it when I enthusiastically banged up against it. Embarassed
I have now humbly corrected my signature to keep within the lines rules, so you now won't have to page down to read it.
I suppose it's all like "The Law" - no excuse for not knowing - maybe like driving the wrong way up a one way street, or taking your own booze to the nightclub.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Hmm, Darren, I have seen the Profile entry which says (alongside the signature box) limit 300 characters.

Ah yes Embarassed humble pie time. Apologies in that case.

4 lines is still our limit though regardless of character limit Thumbs Up
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly the forum auto character-returns a signature if not done manually. This means you have at least 63 (i just checked) character spaces across a standard page width to apply your chosen content.

IMO 252 character spaces for four lines is plenty! Embarrassingly though I was also a signature transgressor, and have removed the spaces from my signature to remain legal. Embarassed

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Signatures Rule Reminder Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
@ BMusket...Feel free to have usual essential last word you crave each time by posting below.

Thank you. Here it is.

Oh, lighten up, shadamehr, I was joking. I even added a Very Happy for your benefit.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Forum Signatures Rule Reminder Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
shadamehr wrote:
@ BMusket...Feel free to have usual essential last word you crave each time by posting below.

Thank you. Here it is.

Oh, lighten up, shadamehr, I was joking. I even added a Very Happy for your benefit.

QUIT IT, NOW

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread locked I think!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: