Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPhone News: It's official, the new 3G iPhone has GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone News: It's official, the new 3G iPhone has GPS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope that TomTom invest some time and update their software so that it takes advantage of the UI. I don't know what others think but the screenshot of TomTom does show how outdated its starting to look.

Automatic screen rotation, screen flicks to scroll, sliding on off buttons are all basic items that should be included.

Now the device supports 3g maybe we'll also be able to receive HD Traffic without the need for a seperate receiver.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the official response from TomTom is:
Quote:
We have made our software run on the iPhone as the reports have mentioned; it looks great and works very well. However there are currently no announcements yet, or a plan to create an announcement regarding navigation software for the iPhone. This means from our side there is no information on if or when this will be available.

Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
boblister wrote:
253 wrote:
Not read the full spec for the phone, but hope that they now allow the phone to connect to a Mac via bluetooth, and i hope any wifi connection works better than it doesn't on osx 10.5.3 on my MBP.
Oh, and did I mention a 5mp camera?, removable battery and card slot?

I'm not a fan just yet.

Are you sure about the 5mp camera. It wasn't mentioned in the keynote presentation last night and I have seen other sites moaning about the camera being the same as the current one.

I am hoping it will still support edge. 3G is not covered where I am and looks like not likely to be in the near future.

i read that as a wishlist of things they would like to see before they would even consider getting one!

MaFt

Yep, that's right MaFt, they are things I look for in a phone these days. My p990i has all that apart from the 2mp camera. So don't see the rush to buy another phone that doesn't have better spec.
Don't get me wrong, the iphone looks the part, but it doesn't talk the talk in my eyes. Needs more than just an Apple logo.
vlak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Quote:
[ snip ] This means from our side there is no information on if or when this will be available.

Bummer.
Talk about a major let-down.
I suppose one can still hope.
Badgerman26
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlak wrote:
Darren wrote:
Quote:
[ snip ] This means from our side there is no information on if or when this will be available.

Bummer.
Talk about a major let-down.
I suppose one can still hope.

I rec it will happen this year (crossing fingers) then will get rid of my ruddy work nuvi 710. How much in mobile TomTom currently?
leecab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no turn-by-turn direction applications

I can think of a few phone that have it Laughing Out Loud..

SDK Agreement Prohibits Direction Apps, Auto-Pilots, Emergency Apps

Applications may not be designed or marketed for real time route guidance; automatic or autonomous control of vehicles, aircraft, or other mechanical devices; dispatch or fleet management; or emergency or life-saving purposes.

probly they don't want to be sue

i hope they are wrong

lee
ChrisB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently run TT Navigator 6 on my SE P1i smartphone and it works pretty well.

I think with the new iPhone pricing, 3G and the built in GPS I will probably move over to a new iPhone when my current contract ends in October.

The bigger iPhone screen, gesture support and ability to use in landscape and portrait mode make the iPhone ideal for satnav use imho. Plus the built in safari browser with the gesture support is very good, and I am a big fan of opera and opera mini, but this is in a different league.

My only real gripe is with TomTom support - the Navigator 6 product on UIQ3 is virtually completely unsupported if you contact them, despite having paid full price for the product.

Most of the new TomTom collaborative based features, and even the new map versions have not been released as an upgrade for TT6 owners. The last map release is now well over a year old iirc.

I was kinda hoping that a few of the main satnav companies would develop something for the iPhone. A warmed over version of TT Navigator 6 whilst better than nothing would be a wasted opportunity on TomTom's part.

The GPS in the iPhone looks interesting - a type of assisted GPS (no, not the lame assisted GPS that appeared on phones a few years ago!). This one can get a rough initial fix from a positioning server that uses the closest mobile masts as a guide by all accounts. Supposed to speed up acquisition times in built up areas or areas where clear sky visibility is poor.
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind all that.

I'd be happy if TomTom would just make data transfer work properly between the iPhone and Rider, so that I could use Plus services. Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigfatjohn wrote:
Never mind all that.

I'd be happy if TomTom would just make data transfer work properly between the iPhone and Rider, so that I could use Plus services. Sad

That's no TomToms fault though, the iPhone has been crippled to prevent its use as a modem.
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry Darren. You're right.

It's just so easy to have a whinge at TomTom though because they have a history of tardy phone compatibility. They normally add a new phone to their list about six months after I have upgraded to something newer.

Motorola V3, Motorola KRZR, Sony Ericsson M600 - none of them worked whilst I owned them.

Anyway, let's hope we can look forward to better things with the new iPhone/V2.0 software. Very Happy
malarcy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: maybe tomtom are not allowed to run on the iphone..... Reply with quote

I noticed this article regarding the iphone sdk license terms and conditions - basically - it states that you are not allowed to write turn by turn navigation systems.

I am sure someone as big as tomtom might be able to negotiate but on the face of it the the challenge may be non technical.

http://uk.gear.ign.com/articles/881/881119p1.html

Malarcy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As leecab wrote earlier Wink

Basically this just means Apple want to keep this to themselves. It won't stop them from licensing a 3rd party to provide the solution but it's still a pity they have chosen to take this route.
malarcy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
As leecab wrote earlier Wink

sorry Embarassed

Malarcy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: