Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Postcodes ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Postcodes ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Postcodes ??? Reply with quote

I have the 930 and just updated to the new firmware and i travel through Stoke on Trent a lot on the a500 , but I have just travelled on it last night and now instead of just saying A500 for the road name its says a500 st4 which is the areas postcode, is there anywhere else in the uk where this function works?? And also how can they update the map by putting the postcode feature on without a new map version. and why do this all of a sudden,

Also does anyone know of a poi that shows all the uk radio transmitters ie Winter Hill etc, I have the one for Classic fm for the tmc , but this does not have all the radio transmitters on it?? thanx mark.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a 930, so can't answer that question.

I think it's Mike Alder who has an Excel spreadsheet of FM transmitters, radio station name, frequency, transmission power and whether they transmit iTIS or TrafficMaster traffic.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have the RDS-TMC POI file this covers more than just the Classic FM transmitters, within it I included the other radio stations that iTIS use for data transmission. I am not 100% sure it is upto date though as getting information on which radio stations have been switched on is like extracting blood from a stone!
If you want a POI file covering all FM transmitters then I am not too sure such a file exists, someone recently constucted one for TV transmitters IIRC, of check out This Web site where you can download a list of all radio stations, it also contains the OSGB coordinates for each transmitter - Mike
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Postcodes ??? Reply with quote

mjdj1689 wrote:
I have the 930 and just updated to the new firmware and i travel through Stoke on Trent a lot on the a500 , but I have just travelled on it last night and now instead of just saying A500 for the road name its says a500 st4 which is the areas postcode, is there anywhere else in the uk where this function works?? And also how can they update the map by putting the postcode feature on without a new map version. and why do this all of a sudden.

POSSIBLE, only possible, BUT, NavCore 8 now lets you rename roads as part of the corrections that take effect there and then.

I have noticed that if you do this, like I did yesterday, adding two wrongly named roads, TomTom now refers to the newly named or corrected roads like this:

Instead of "Unnamed Road" or "Wrongly Named Gardens", it suddenly becomes:

"Correctly Named Avenue, NE40"

In other words, it adds the postal code locality to the end of any road corrections.

SO it is POSSIBLE, that if you have MapShare corrections by other people enabled, someone has altered this.

Or if not, then whatever reason TT uses for adding postal code area to corrected streets, it also does so in other circumstances.

This is indeed something I never saw on my old 720, but do see happen on my new 730 though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: