Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce HD Traffic at CeBIT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce HD Traffic at CeBIT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom are claiming Q3 2008. We are the next launch country, its up and running in the Netherlands and does appear to work very well.

Following on from that is Germany, France and then Italy.

I asked why the ONE XL HD had a built-in GSM solution whereas the 'Premium' 930 had to make do with the external HD accessory. The answer was that at the time, HD was only available in Holland, therefore they could justify a specific XL HD for Holland only but could not justify and design a 930 HD as it could not be launched in all the intended markets concurrently.

They did suggest though that the next models will benefit from what they hope is Europe wide HD service availability and strongly hinted that they will have a range of integrated GSm devices in the line up for the next upgrade.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the 930HD Traffic model can be viewed on the TomTom website if you select your language as Dutch. I do not like the idea of the cigarette lighter add on and would have hoped for a model with an integrated SIM.

Needless to say I cannot see anything stopping TomTom from transmitting the traffic data input from their HD sources (once prepared for the older software) to any unit over GPRS as in the current traffic offering, even if they cannot track the GPRS phone.

I will wait for the integrated model and will continue to use my TT6 for which I have today updated the traffic subscriptions and PGPSW camera subscription.
W90BHP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I missed a trick here?

Will HD Traffic give something more than the GPRS Traffic?

All the comparisons seem to be between RDS-TMC and HD rather than GPRS and HD. I gather from the various threads that RDS-TMC traffic is a bit pants so I want to know if the HD Traffic is worth the extra dosh, or should I go for a *30 unit and continue with a GPRS subscription?

Martin (poised on the brink of upgrade cos he's tired of the Nokia E61)
iPAQ 3970 : Navman Sleeve : CoPilot 4 : Somewhere in the loft
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I agree, the 930HD Traffic model can be viewed on the TomTom website if you select your language as Dutch. I do not like the idea of the cigarette lighter add on and would have hoped for a model with an integrated SIM.
I will wait for the integrated model and will continue to use my TT6 for which I have today updated the traffic subscriptions and PGPSW camera subscription.

Are you saying there is an integrated HD model available in Holland? or just a version with the special power cable?
If integrated then what is to stop us buying one from Holland, switching the language used and then using HD Traffic service as soon as it becomes available in UK?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ItsMikeE wrote:
Are you saying there is an integrated HD model available in Holland? or just a version with the special power cable?
If integrated then what is to stop us buying one from Holland, switching the language used and then using HD Traffic service as soon as it becomes available in UK?

There is a ONE XL HD available in Holland only. This has a built-in SIM card slot in the rear of the device.

I doubt it'd be as easy as you think to switch to UK service, Indeed it's entirely possible that it will be released in the UK when HD becomes available here but who knows?
tel33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I will say on this is:

If they cant get TMC to work properly, what hope have they getting this working properly?

Also with their new HD firmware update, v7.481, that has been released which is a bit cranky and has promptly killed my 920T, I am not too keen on spending anymore money to find out that this new HD system wont work either! Shocked

Thanks to the poor firmware that they have released, I am in the process of praying my recovery will work as the restore via Home did not want to work!

If you are reading this TomTom, please do some checking before you release usless software! Mad

UPDATE!

Praise be it is working again on v7.221, the moral of this tale is dont upgrade if its working!

Needless to say I have learnt my lesson!

Good job I backed up seperatly!
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
TomTom are claiming Q3 2008. We are the next launch country

Just been informed Q4 now for UK! trying to get TT to agree to exchange my TMC for HD traffic even offered to pay the extra!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewall wrote:
Just been informed Q4 now for UK!

Crikey I hope that's not true, I'll seek clarification Sad
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Please mate be interested to see if i've been fobbed off again! Cant get through to a supervisor for love or money!

RDS TMC is still being looked into the cs agent said she cant see it taking more than a mounth or two for a fix!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewall wrote:
RDS TMC is still being looked into the cs agent said she cant see it taking more than a mounth or two for a fix!

That sounds about right from the info I have.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told a month as well for the RDS-TMC fix, but then again I have had experience of TT and their magic calendar before!
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
I have been told a month as well for the RDS-TMC fix, but then again I have had experience of TT and their magic calendar before!

Same calendar that fixed RDS TMC from 7.221 still in play i take it! I really don't get TT! went to CAB today and asked there opinion on this as well as another issue! The object you purchased must be fit for the purpose intended for use! Sounds good BUT the problem is TT caused the issue with the update of software for another device! (your TT go) In theory the RDS TMC still works as intended but the software on the unit is at fault! Grey area in law!

Like you upgrade to vista but your old XP apps dont work! The developers are not at fault because you chose to update! Same applies here EXCEPT it was a TT update for a TT device and the TMC is designed to work with said device! There needs to be a clarification but as you can see from above it can be complex! TT could use this loop hole to escape this issue, if they do they will look like right nasty people (polite alternitive)

His advice was to take it back to the shop and see what happens, Tried that it's out of the refund period(14 days) they will replace it or repair it(chocolate teapot syndrome) but they were scepical of my reasons because:

A. TT still sell the RDS TMC most companys remove faulty items from sale
B. TT have not recalled any units!
C. TT mention nothing on there web site!
D. The chain (well known office suppliers) have had NONE back!

Now has the UK HD Traffic been delayed because it DON'T work, could it use the base TMC data! or am i being too scaptical here!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD traffic is not TMC data, it is derived from the Vodaphone network tracking mobile user movement and transmitted over GPRS.
michaelb104
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
mikewall wrote:
Just been informed Q4 now for UK!

Darren, did you get any clarification on when we can expect HD Traffic in the UK??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't. I asked and was told that any suggested launch date was not set in sand as it depended on many factors, tests in other markets and the partnership with the service provider etc etc

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: