Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8110 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8110 released
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Navigon 8110 released Reply with quote

Navigon have released the 8110. Ordered mine on Friday via the 'International page' (looks like other local shop pages need to be updated).
Have been told I have a UPS parcel waiting for me when I get home. I will post my views on the new device once I have had a play Razz

I may also post some English videos on youtube, so it's not all german postings.
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: navigon 8110 Reply with quote

I look forward to hearing your reviews. Like you I am looking for a replacement for my VM which I really like. I pre-ordered mine from the same site you originally ordered yours. It seems you ordered this directly from Navigon. Is this correct?

regards
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: navigon 8110 Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:
I look forward to hearing your reviews. Like you I am looking for a replacement for my VM which I really like. I pre-ordered mine from the same site you originally ordered yours. It seems you ordered this directly from Navigon. Is this correct?

regards

Yeah ichy fingers made me hit the buy button on the Navigon site itself.
Don't get me wrong I love my VM device, but the fact they have pulled out of the market has made me want to move. Too many raod changes in my area alone mean the maps are out of date already.
I'll be sure to post a review very soon. Very Happy

The other site said they only process the order once confirmed you still want it.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Ordered mine too Reply with quote

last Tuesday. It seems that I won't get it before next week though. One doesn't have enough units.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: bugfix Reply with quote

There's already a bug fix for the 8110:
http://www.pocketnavigation.de/news/view_1220/1.1.0.html (= in German)
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial Impressions

On opening the box I the 8110 looks smaller than my VM x980t although it does have a much larger screen.

In the box, The unit, car power, mains plug, USB cable, dashboard mount disc, windscreen mount, manual, quickstart, Navigon Fresh CD -edit- also had pin protection screen stickers. Not used them as not sure how other people view them. I think it's a nice idea but could just make the car more of a target for people looking to take the mount -edit-

The device itself looks very high quality and the brushed steel look does give it a very nice high end look. The screen is also very nice and clear, has a slight milky look when switched off (maybe some anti glare coating).

Powering on

Initial powering on took a while, but after a few minutes you get the main menu with choice of Navigation, Music, Pictures, and Phone. Subsequent powering on is much quicker.
The menu buttons match the brushed metal look of the device itself.

The mount, very simple to use put the suction cup against the windscreen and move the switch to create suction. The Navigon then simply fits onto the other end, once attached you can angle it but I found being new the movement was very stiff. As you also get a dashboard mount disc I would imagine the head of the unit can rotate a full 180 degrees otherwise the Navigon would be upside down.

Voice Command

Out of the box it recognised my home address. I won’t give the full address for obvious reasons but the town is Ilkeston and the street name is also not the easiest to recognise (I normally have to spell it out) yet the Navigon knew just where I wanted.
However I did the small training text and now it’s not been as good (I think it’s because I was too eager and did the training at home with the TV turned on and Navigon recommend that it’s done in the car with no background noise)
-edit- Voice recognition after redoing the setup works fantastic. The setup consists of a simple paragraph to read. No more than 10 words or so -edit-

Slight problem is to forget to wait for the beep before giving it the instructions. Would be nice if this had been implemented for ‘voice tags’ so you could navigate to favorites in the same way.

Navigation

Only had chance for a very quick play, screen is very nice and clear. I know some people complained the Navigon’s text was too small I don’t find that at all and it’s a big improvement over the VM text size.
No odd routing detected as yet, in comparison to the VM it doesn’t give an impossible route through Derby City Centre (could be the software or the fact it’s Navteq maps instead of TeleAtlas).
Speeds of roads I tried last night we correctly indicated and if it thinks your going too fast you get a simple caution symbol next to the speed limit icon.
It does have fixed camera alerts, but you have to turn this on in the options. I can’t think what it’s called but it’s not labeled as speed cameras.
-edit- simply says 'caution traffic control' generally you also have the icon on screen showing the speed -edit-

I have found it doesn’t seem to announce as many street names as the VM, but the street name is nice and bold on the screen.
-edit- It does when you remember to actually ensure the TTS is turned on Laughing -edit-

When you get to your destination it also tells you which side of the street it should be on 

The View3D looks really nice on screen and not noticed any lagging on it so far.

Not been able to get anything which brings up the lane assistant at the moment and can’t find any reference to it in the options. Reality view is turned on and last night I did try a demo route to Shildon forgetting I had told it to avoid motorways so it plotted me a route all the way without going on the M1 ;) by this time I discovered it was past midnight and time for bed Laughing Out Loud.

UI

I find the interface nice and clean and doesn’t have as many confusing options as the VM. No noticeable slowness of the interface that people had complained about in the past.
Route calculation also seems nice and fast, plotted a route from the Midlands to the North East within seconds.

TMC

With the aerial being built into the power cable it reduces the clutter and it seems I get better reception than with the VM. Maybe it acts as a signal booster ?

One disappointment at the moment is that you can’t add custom POI as there is no version of POI Warner for v7. The maker of POI Warner have confirmed there will be a version for v7 in the coming months.

Will amend this as I find out more about it (have a full weekend to play with it).

So far I’m impressed -edit- still very impressed after a weekend of trying it out -edit-

Last edited by jonandmarkuk on Sun May 11, 2008 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: bugfix Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
There's already a bug fix for the 8110:
http://www.pocketnavigation.de/news/view_1220/1.1.0.html (= in German)

Cheers, no idea what the bug fixes but I'll wait till it's made available to download from the Navigon site Shocked
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: bugfix Reply with quote

Here's some rough translation:
This corrects an error for some users using the USB port. It occurred that no more navigation arrow appears and thus accurate GPS positioning was no longer possible.

The fix must must be put on the device and then it installs by itself, but
you should strictly follow the following steps:

1. extract the MissingGPSIconFix_UpdateMe.zipt
2. put UpdateMe.exe to the main directory of the SD memory card
3. do a soft reset
4. wait until the installation finishes

jonandmarkuk wrote:

Cheers, no idea what the bug fixes but I'll wait till it's made available to download from the Navigon site Shocked
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:

TMC

With the aerial being built into the power cable it reduces the clutter and it seems I get better reception than with the VM. Maybe it acts as a signal booster ?

Thanks very much indeed for those initial impressions - it sounds very promising! One question, however. From your description it sounds like the only way to use TMC is to have the unit plugged into the power socket (ie the car's cigarette lighter). Does this mean that, unlike previous Navigon units, it won't take a feed from the car's radio antenna?

Anyone know if a user guide is available online - I can't find one on Navigon's site.

jonandmarkuk wrote:

One disappointment at the moment is that you can’t add custom POI

Despite constant criticism, Navigon have always resisted this for some reason.

--

Cheers,

Dave
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick post with manual link

Having trouble making the URL shorter so it would be handy if a mod can sort the link out.

Last edited by jonandmarkuk on Fri May 09, 2008 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow - very expensive Sad
nuvi 760 - £216.
TT 730T - £280.
Navigon 8110 - £360+shipping!!!+ POI warner software (30EUR)

WOWEEE.

How are the road label options looking? Does it give a sparse view of just streets and no info, or does it label most of them around your position when just driving around?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_ah1 wrote:
wow - very expensive Sad
nuvi 760 - £216.
TT 730T - £280.
Navigon 8110 - £360+shipping!!!+ POI warner software (30EUR)

WOWEEE.

How are the road label options looking? Does it give a sparse view of just streets and no info, or does it label most of them around your position when just driving around?

Think you may have forgot to add the VAT onto the TomTom prices. Easydevices do show it as £280 but when you click the link the actual price is £329

Unless I'm wrong you will also have to fork out £40 per map update with TomTom.
Navigon shipping from Europe was only around £5 which is really good as some UK based companies charge more.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveMatthews wrote:

Thanks very much indeed for those initial impressions - it sounds very promising! One question, however. From your description it sounds like the only way to use TMC is to have the unit plugged into the power socket (ie the car's cigarette lighter). Does this mean that, unlike previous Navigon units, it won't take a feed from the car's radio antenna?

Anyone know if a user guide is available online - I can't find one on Navigon's site.

jonandmarkuk wrote:

One disappointment at the moment is that you can’t add custom POI

Despite constant criticism, Navigon have always resisted this for some reason.

--

Cheers,

Dave

Yes I'm afraid so, I can't see any way you could connect your own aerial. I think most of the TMC aerials seem to be heading to this style. Reception does so far seem better, but I miss being able to check a route before I leave the house.

I wonder if Navigon have some kind of deal with the makers of POI Warner as you look in the Navigon fresh software at what's installed and low and behold you see POI Warner 2.5 listed. Maybe Navigon are stuck in the deal which means they can't offer their own PIO integration. The POI warner software does look quite good though.

Will try to post some pictures later, just compared the Navigon to my x980t and sure enough the Navigon is smaller.
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I found the 730T for £280 inc vat (RDS only) from handtec.
I'm sure shipping is either free or at most £7.

Yes, freshmaps is the big differentiator, I forgot about that. That's £75 for two years of updates on the 2110 for instance. So reduce the price by £75 and you get back to TT levels of £280ish. Not as good as nuvi at £220, but still ok. No IQ routes on the navigon as navteq have only JusT announced it.

Technically then to replicate the quarterly updates you need to spend £320 over two years on TomTom. TCO = 280+320 over two years versus £360. Nice.

However, that assumes you are updating every quarter. I would personally update once a year or every 6 months. so even for me the navigon would be cheaper by £80 over two years.....then again I'm lazy so i might not even update at all.

Still, it is compelling that you suddenly get price parity between the 730T and the 8110 within two TT updates.

If you update once a year it doesn't matter which device. If more then navigon is cheaper.....BUT the other issue is that TT and garmin prices tumble. Navigon don't.

Either way I would so love to demo this versus the Tomtom...and for there to be a good review of IQ routes. It seems to simply make routing estimates more reliable, not necessarily improve the route from what I can see.

But it is an interesting race at the top now between TT730T, nuvi 760 and navigon.

I'm definitely going to dig some more into the poiwarner stuff.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very big price difference between the 2 then? Easy devices are normally good with the pricing.

I have to admit I was tempted with the TomTom but like you read some reviews of the IQ Routing which made it sound not as impressive as TomTom advertise?

Also one of my main driving factors was the Navteq maps rather than TeleAtlas as I got sick of telling them of road changes and never seing the changes implemented. I think something is wrong when a road that had never been accessible to traffic is shown as a usable car route.

Generally I don't think I would buy map updates, but as they are automatic I'm happy to pay for them and have them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24

Jump to: