Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do Navman TMC units use RDS to keep a signal or do u retune?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do Navman TMC units use RDS to keep a signal or do u retune?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Do Navman TMC units use RDS to keep a signal or do u retune? Reply with quote

I've just got a Navman B2+ unit - about to install and understand it uses Classic FM for info. Does it come pre-tuned to Classic FM for the first time I use it, or do I have to programme it?

Also, as the frequency of Classic changes across the country, does it use RDS or similar to keep tabs on the frequency or does it have to be retuned?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most TMC RDS units scan the FM spectrum looking for stations transmitting TMC. They then check to see if it is from a provider for which you have a subscription (in this case iTIS). This allows it to decode the info and off you go (hopefully).

So... you shouldn't need to tune it as it should be automatic but you do need to ensure you get a good signal level by placing the aerial in a good place (e.g. along the windscreen). Quite a few of us TMC users have resorted to connecting to an external aerial to solve the poor reception cnditions prevelent in the UK. But your experience may be different.

NB reception of Classic FM on your car radio is NOT a sign that your TMC unit will be gettig enough signal! Cars are pretty good Faraday cages.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed your new device gets its information from iTIS but there are more radio stations than just Classic FM and extra stations are being added to the network from time to time. The device will fully auto tune you have to do nothing manual to get this working - Mke
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil/Mike,

Many thanks for those really quick and informative answers. I'll see how I get on once I've set it all up.
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can see my experience in another thread - iffy! Merseyside to Somerset and got a bit of coverage around Birmingham and around Bristol but nothing else. I've left a question about extending the antenna (not going external), but because of the location of my Navman - anyone know if a 2.5mm headphone extension will suffice?
57squadron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevem999 wrote:
Well, you can see my experience in another thread - iffy! Merseyside to Somerset and got a bit of coverage around Birmingham and around Bristol but nothing else. I've left a question about extending the antenna (not going external), but because of the location of my Navman - anyone know if a 2.5mm headphone extension will suffice?

I have never had a problem.

I take it you have attached the existing aerial to the bottom of the winscreen as advised ?

RE Classic FM, I have it set up as the preferred radio station as it is the one that TMC use nationally to broadcast. Classic FM use other radio stations transmitters in order to get national coverage.

There is no need to retune, all this is done automatically.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: