Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 720 or Garmin 760?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 720 or Garmin 760?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuyler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colossus wrote:
Maybe it's worth worth waiting for the TT730.

I was also considering waiting for the 730 (if I was to go for TomTom, that is) but there's still no sign of it on tomtom.com. Furthermore, as another forum member said, that probably isn't the best value decision since the 730's price, like with many brand new products, will be very high initially yet will soon drop. Also, most people here seem confident that much of the new functionality of the x30 series will be made available in a software update before too long.

One quick question: can you recharge the 720 in your house (via USB, power outlet or whatever) with the stuff that comes in the box or do you need to buy a separate charger? If my info is correct you don't need to buy anything extra for the Nuvi.

P.S. Really envious of the prices you get there in the UK, thanks to the strength of the Euro... Crying or Very sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot turn IQ Routes off but in use I have found them very good, the 930 is the first nav unit that actually uses the same route as I drive for the commute to work every day, this is most welcome, if it routes this way it is using more local knowledge when plannng a route than other devices.
You also seem to be interested in the next turn ahead indication. the x30 units have 'Lane Assist' which is very handy on motorways and A roads, I found it very useful recently while driving straight through Manchester city centre.
Both the devices you have shortlisted will get you from A to B, for me the TomTom has the edge, a more intuative interface and a history of providing new software updates to use new features when the hardware you have is superceeded. - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuyler wrote:
One quick question: can you recharge the 720 in your house (via USB, power outlet or whatever) with the stuff that comes in the box or do you need to buy a separate charger? If my info is correct you don't need to buy anything extra for the Nuvi.

P.S. Really envious of the prices you get there in the UK, thanks to the strength of the Euro... Crying or Very sad

Yes, the TomTom will charge while connected to the PC via the supplied Home dock.
As for cheap prices, have a day out and pop over to purchase one -Mike
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wish to charge by mains electricity ( ie you have no access to a computer ) you have to buy an additional charger at about £ 17 on amazon
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Have just been to Halfords and this time found a very helpful chap who let me look at both machines. He suggested that as I already have a garmin that maybe that's the best to stick with. Pros and cons to both. One thing that seems like a real selling point with the garmin is that you are supposed to be able to plan your route on Autoroute then programme that into the garmin. That seems to me a good idea and would perhaps avoid some of the more bizarre cross country excursions. However I have never used Autoroute so I don't know if that's as much of an advantage as it sounds.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an advantage. You also aren't doing the planning on a small "psuedo" screen as on the TomTom.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, the topic started out as TT720 v. Garmin 760. I guess it's turned into Garmin 760 v. anything TomTom has to offer? It's should be obvious to most that the Garmin is a much better value than the TT720. I assume the comparisons to the 730 being posted here is an admittance of sorts?
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not convinced that the 730 represents any real improvement for the majority of people. The main things seem to be lane guidnce and IQ both of which seem great ideas but how effective they will be in use remains to be seen.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For PC based planning of specific routes you can use Google Earth and Tyre for the TomTom, this is free to use unlike Autoroute which you will have to pay more for.

If you are happy and used to using th Garmin then another Garmin is probably the best bet, when you question the effectivity of the IQ Routes, my comments earlier in the thread are based a few months of use - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
It's should be obvious to most that the Garmin is a much better value than the TT720.

What?? Laughing You have to be kidding!
As we said, everyone has their preferences, but THIS is enough for me:

If it is not obvious, the shots ARE of the same location!

Unfortunately the still images cannot also show how the Nuvi was lagging about two seconds behind all the time too (and at only 1-2 screen refreshes per second that was half a screen!)

Again, maybe unfair comparison between performance of these two particular models, but these are the models I've got available. Also the general look of the maps won't have changed that much, and that's what is most important to me.

Last edited by Andy_P on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
kuyler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks john and mike, as long as it charges via USB then that's fine. I wish I could come over to the UK to buy, but I'd like to get one within the next few days and would rather buy it from somewhere where I could easily exchange it, i.e. in the same country. For instance, say I get the 760 first but then soon realize I want to exchange it for the 720 - or vice versa! Smile

I still have this impression that overall the TomTom 720 has the higher theoretical long-term upgrade potential (if I go for TT I would eventually think to get HD Traffic), yet if it's literally a comparison of the units when fresh out of the box, the Nuvi 760 seems somewhat more complete. I don't know if by now all TomTom 720T units ship with the new antenna? Would be irritating if I still had to go through the whole procedure of exchanging antennas! With the 760 of course there won't be this additional annoyance.

Also, I can't believe we're currently at a point where some users on the TomTom forum advise against connecting to TomTom HOME due to the risk of the buggy latest software update being forcibly installed. Can't understand why TomTom don't just withdraw it!
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swinging back towards tomtom. Very interesting pictures Andy. If you can do the same sort of route planning with tomtom without autoroute garmin is starting to lose judging by those maps!
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
For PC based planning of specific routes you can use Google Earth and Tyre for the TomTom, this is free to use unlike Autoroute which you will have to pay more for.

Is it obvious how to do this? What is Tyre?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre - "Trace Your Route Everywhere" Smile

It's damn good, and it now works with Google Maps OR Google Earth

http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tho it still won't optimize your route for maximum efficiency. You'll have to manually move destination points around to find the fastest route.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: