Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lock it or lose it - Crime Information for satnav's from Hon
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lock it or lose it - Crime Information for satnav's from Hon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Lock it or lose it - Crime Information for satnav's from Hon Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comLBS hits the headlines once again but this time with a new twist.

Honda have teamed up with the Japanese police to offer a new service for their navigation equipped cars in which crime statistics and other related data is overlaid on the navi system.

The service will be available to the 600,000 members of their Internavi club and will include statistics on theft from and of vehicles in the local area collated by local police.

It sounds like a great idea and could result in some of the less salubrious areas experiencing a large drop in traffic! It is Japan only at the moment but could this be a good idea for the UK?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the comments on the story was to link real time car parking space availability to the system. Now that could be handy.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason why you simply couldn't build in a warning with POI (from this site ;) ) which indicated entering a dodgy area.
Generally local people know to aviod certain areas, but Sat Nav's will just blindly lead people through some very dodgy areas.

We already have warnings for entering 'school zones' why not a warning for entering 'known crime area'
At the same time I think more should be done about warning people about accident black spots.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
One of the comments on the story was to link real time car parking space availability to the system. Now that could be handy.

ViaMichelin tried to do this, alas it never made it outside of France so no idea how well it worked.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't get is, the latest TomToms have GPS and GSM internet in one box. How hard would it have been to have implemented an anti-theft system so you could forward details about where your device was to the police after it had been stolen? The ability to track your own device on the internet would be brilliant for this. This would have been so easy to implement and yet the security features of the TomTom are minimal.

My TomTom was stolen and I guess someone who bought it in a pub/car-boot sale/eBay is now happily using it to drive around even though it's MINE.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which TomTom has GSM built-in, there is no such beast? The TrafficHD unit has GSM but that's an external device.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree, even if it was a chargeable service I think people would pay. The problem would be is would the police be interested.
I had my windscreen chipped beyond repair a few weeks back caused by an argument next door spilling onto my front garden.
Although the police did eventually come out I got the impression they weren't really interested and other than getting a crime number I have heard nothing since.

So knowing where your GPS is and driving around may just cause even more frustration and people taking the law into there own hands Laughing
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Which TomTom has GSM built-in, there is no such beast? The TrafficHD unit has GSM but that's an external device.

Well ok, not really "built-in" but part of the power adapter which has to be used most of the time anyway (really wish they had actually built it in though!).

Either way, in it's normal configuration, it's capable of sending it's exact location to the internet.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, yes I agree that the lack of a built-in solution is surprising but that's not to say it isn't coming.

It would be nice to see implemented, at least with HD I assume you can remotely disable the service and block the device, better than nothing I guess?
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the One XL HD have built in GSM SIM?

Surely with most of these places you just need to look around you! Shocked

Look at this another way. If manufactures are to highlight crime hotspots, surely thats just as advantagous to the crim-bobs in that they will know the areas of richer pickings that don't already have a reputation as a crimespot.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
Doesn't the One XL HD have built in GSM SIM.

No
PeterSm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the way things with the UK Police (and Councils..) etc are going,
I wonder if these features take off, how long it may be before your Sat-Nav "grasses" you up for exceeding speed limits, crossing white lines, parking on double yellows etc etc!! Exclamation
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Graeme2812 wrote:
Doesn't the One XL HD have built in GSM SIM.

No

Actually it does. In the One XL HD, there is a SIM card slot in the back of the device near the top:

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I missed the reference to HD sorry. Didn't even realise there was an HD version! Now if they can offer that on the XL, a supposedly lesser model, why not on the new x30's?
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also not 100% sure that isn't Photoshopped as that seems a rather unlikely place to put a sim card holder when it would be much easier to have a push-in slot at the bottom (the same way the SD card works). It could just be a mock-up by an over-eager news site (yournav.com).

Does anybody here actually have one and can confirm that the sim really is integrated on the lower end TomTom XL HD?

I don't think I'd bother with HD unless it's integrated as I use my unit on battery power only about 90% of the time and I hate the power cable trailing across my steering wheel (I'm right handed and prefer the unit on my right).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: