Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Appeal to night drivers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Appeal to night drivers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Appeal to night drivers Reply with quote

This is aimed mostly at taxi drivers, delivery vans, postmen, milkmen etc. I wonder if it would be possible for vehicles which are parked on the wrong side of the road to switch off their headlights please? If you are driving through a town on a Friday night, you will usually find a taxi waiting for his customers outside a pub or club. If he is parked on the wrong side of the road, his headlights are dipped to the left, which is pointing exactly where you are approaching from. Depending on the circumstances e.g. the curve in the road, a bit of rain on your windscreen, this can be like driving into someones full beam.
So if you need to park on the wrong side of the road, can you only use your sidelights until you need to move again please? (No offence intended to taxi drivers!) Thumbs Up

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And add to the list 4x4s which have headlights already high enough to dazzle you through your rear view mirror as they come up behind you, so on the wrong side of the road they're a nightmare.

PS - I'm one of the sad delivery drivers who always switches my headlights off when I'm parked - and I hate parking on the wrong side - it was illegal when we had men with red flags.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and what about those people who pull over out of town and don't even bother to dip their headlights, let alone turn them off Twisted Evil
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about fog lights? Evil or Very Mad

Young drivers have seem to have adopted fog lights as 'normal'.

Every trip out there are fog lights plus dipped lights coming up towards me and following behind, it is nearly always young people, it's almost as if it is a code or badge!

They even sit on the wrong side of the road having a natter with their mates, so you have to view four lights at a time on passing.

Fog, Confused I haven't seen any for months. Grrrr
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF has the measure of it methinks...

As he's absolutely correct - nowadays it seems everyone with fog lights/spots, drives with these one at the first sign of it getting dim on an evening, to the blinding detriment of everyone else driving properly.

I remember it weren't that long ago the police used to pull you over and sometimes even "do you" if you had your fog lights on inappropriately.

Having spots myself, I tend to flash these at oncoming drivers that have theirs on wrongly. And the looks I get speak volumes.

At least it's not as bad as those with their REAR fog light on, bright as anything, on a dual carriageway in the evening or at night for no reason, and those really blind you. But pass them and flash your own rear fog as a gentle indication for them, and it's amazing how many flash you constantly with their high beam as if to say"get lost pal".

Oh well, perhaps the moral here is for me to give up pointing it out to people, and leave it for them to be pulled by the police instead, were they minded to start doing this again.

One thing I will say about spots though, is that they do have one use - now, if I want to flash people out, and that kind of thing, where before we used to use our high beam to flash, I tend to use my spots now (front) as being lower down, they mean you don't actually dazzle people, when trying to be nice to them.
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm Shad that Mr Plod still does get the hump. My wife was driving my car home the other night on some of the darkest country roads you ever seen :p

She often uses the front driving lamps [As printed by ford - NOT FRONT FOG LIGHTS Laughing Out Loud] and Mr Plod had a word in her shell like.

So it's an interesting point, but a lot of the manufacturers seem to be calling them driving lights rather fog lights ;)

Just a thought.

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit I am occasionaly one of the guilty ones for fog lights, on a couple of occasions seeing others with them on I have switched mine on, I dont no why because they are those silly little bullseyes and do not add any extra light with the headlights on anyway, perhaps its just because they are there and want to be seen. cant reaaly give an answer,
Incidently just checked my Ford range glossy 2006 spec and it calls them Fog lights.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Must admit I am occasionaly one of the guilty ones for fog lights, on a couple of occasions seeing others with them on I have switched mine on, I dont no why because they are those silly little bullseyes and do not add any extra light with the headlights on anyway, perhaps its just because they are there and want to be seen. cant reaaly give an answer,
Incidently just checked my Ford range glossy 2006 spec and it calls them Fog lights.

Baaaaaa Baaaa

Not specifically for AJ, but for all readers.
How about this from the highway code!!

Law 114
You MUST NOT
-
use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
-use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226)

Law 226
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

Law 236
You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

It's about time the feds started stopping these selfish and ignorant drivers and puttiing them on the straight and narrow.
Does the latest driving test not include a section on the Highway Code?? as it seems that it is only young(ish) people who follow this inconsiderate practice.

TAKE NOTE MUPPETS IN YOUR CHAVVED UP MOTORS
FOG LIGHTS ARE FOR FOG!
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed cameras can't see lights!! Laughing
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny_D wrote:

So it's an interesting point, but a lot of the manufacturers seem to be calling them driving lights rather fog lights ;)

JD

The difference between a driving lamp and a fog lamp is simple......

A driving lamp illuminates when your headlamps are on full beam ONLY and are used to add to the light emmitted from headlamps. Fog lamps must be operated by a separate switch.

We still stop people and give them tickets if deemed appropriate for causing undue dazzle if fog lamps or any other lamps as misused, although I agree with other posters that many drivers (and not just the young ones) see fog lamps as a tool to make their car look 'COOL' when driving about town on sidelights.

All the time we get "but officer, I must have accidentally switched them on". To which I reply..."funny how you didn't accidentally switch on your back ones....here's your ticket."

It's not big and it's not clever, but if you want to be a member of my monthly score, I'm always happy to oblige. Wink

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:

It's not big and it's not clever, but if you want to be a member of my monthly score, I'm always happy to oblige. Wink

Well said Tommo, screw them to the wall Twisted Evil. Tt should increase your sore to well above your target, or wold this be classed as 'doing the easy ones just to get the numbers up just like the NHS are accused of doing?.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should double Tommo's targets for fog lamps and hand held mobiles AND move him down south three or four hundred miles (and pay a bonus for reaching and exceeding the targets) - we could do with a lot like him down here.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wont get the police in N.Wales stopping driver for this,
1 they might have to talk tothe public
2. they would have to put police back on the roads
3. They might not speak English as N.Wales employs polish police as well
4. they are in the horse box

any officers who visit these pages will know these comments are not aimed at them directly, but at the mis management of police resources by a less than public friendly government Rolling Eyes Very Happy
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is that there are far too few 999tommos to go around and these other misdemeanours go unpunished so much of the time.

Unfortunately, most cars seem to have switches where the front fog lights turn on first, then the rear ones. When visibility is reduced, however, you're more likely to need to use your rear fog lights before front ones are needed to supplement the headlights, so IMHO, this switch ought to be reversed so that rear fog lights are switched on first.

This move also ought to eliminate the cool dudes using their front fog lights unnecessarily.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

This move also ought to eliminate the cool dudes using their front fog lights unnecessarily.

No, it will probably mean that we would have a lot more bright rear foglights on. Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: