Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce new GO 930, 730 and 530 at CeBIT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce new GO 930, 730 and 530 at CeBIT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray-of-Sunshine wrote:
DennisN wrote:

For my money, I'd prefer them to give us the facility to input our own driving profile -

I couldn't agree more about having driving profile but I was more thinking about a hgv/caravan mode type where you would at least then not be offered unsuitable routes and would avoid narrow country lanes etc as much as possible and if you even then move sliders to show your own preference to each road type.

My Navman iCN 510 has something that allows me to select the road type preferences but to be honest it was always a bit of a lottery finding an acceptable balance.
What we really want is what you mention, a button that allows us to select a vehicle that can't fit down the tiny roads or prevents it taking us down a country lane in heavy snow etc.

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
uknaughtydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if the new 730 will address the speaker issues suffered by the 720 model?

Namely will the new 730 model perform unreliably, frequently crash, and belt out repeated extremely loud macine gun noises causing the unit to shake violently.

If these problems are resolved in the new 730 then i may be interested. Just hope Tomom don't release another half baked product and expect customers to test it for them - i find this insulting.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uknaughtydog wrote:
Do you know if the new 730 will address the speaker issues suffered by the 720 model?

Namely will the new 730 model perform unreliably, frequently crash, and belt out repeated extremely loud macine gun noises causing the unit to shake violently.

If these problems are resolved in the new 730 then i may be interested. Just hope Tomom don't release another half baked product and expect customers to test it for them - i find this insulting.

As the base HARDWARE of the x30 series is inherently the same, then any HARDWARE limiting factors that apply now, may also pertain to the new devices.

Having said that, IF (and I very much stress IF) the speaker problem is as prevalent as you make out all over this forum in every post you can fit it into (grins), then I suspect they will have worked on it.

However, if the problem is NOT nearly as wide-spread as you would have us believe (again grins), then it's unlikely they will have done much hardware-wise to change things on the x30's.

May I also, humbly solicit something for free...

Your attitude on here... Clearly you have one hell of an axe to grind against TomTom - and I won't even say that is wrong of you - that is your absolute prerogative based on your own personal experiences of TomTom.

But PLEASE - consider this, "WE" the members of this forum, even those of us with TomToms and even those of us who swear by them...

"WE" are not TomTom themselves however.

So burying your axe into us, is NOT the same as getting at TomTom, even if it does release your frustrations.

And why do I say this, me of all people...

Because when I first started posting on here, I too was a complete P.I.T.A. - due to my own strong views over the change to speed camera yearly subscriptions.

HOWEVER, I realised very quickly that I was being rather harsh - but by then the damage was done - equally unfair and unreasonable people on here had by then, singled me out for their wrath and ire and attacks at every opportunity that then presented itself - even though by then I had gone on to become a decent, friendly, and hopefully helpful member of this site.

So what I am driving at, is that as someone that was a pain at first themselves (me that is), I am well placed to make suggestions as to conduct etc - this is not hypocrisy, on the contrary, it's called speaking from experience.

So please mate, we'll try and help, as we are like that round here.

But we are not TomTom the company... so any ire you have with them, is NOT resolved or passed on, when it's instead delivered to us lot, the members.

Hope this is not too challenging - it's just meant to be helpful, speaking from own experience.
uknaughtydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shadamehr

Thanks for your response. You make some valid points.

But, far from having a "problem" with TomTom or having an axe to grind, on the contrary i want the 720 to as excellent as in promises to be. As an owner of several TomTom products I generally think the base Tomtom service is good. I think (for what its worth) the the TomTom 720 and 730 COULD be exceptionally good products if they fully delivered on promises.

I have little experience of other sat nav brands, but it's very possible they suffer from similar or worse short comings than TomTom.

I am not criticising TomTom for the sake of it, I honestly think that all members of this excellent forum should be able to discuss openly product experieces, whether good or bad.

When I placed my original post on the subject of speaker problems, I was not initially told the speaker problem was a common fault. Indeed in your latest response you question the extent of this problem?

Yet when I read individual members posts there are a significant number of people identifying TomToms customer beta testing approach.

What surprises me as a forum people seem only to hear the good things?Surely we are meant to share openly/ fully experiences to benefit other members; not dismiss fundimental product failings as acceptble.

One of the main selling points of the TT X20 is handsfree Safe driving capability. This simply does not work.
Surely as a forum that is worth discussing?

I would suggest there are many members considering buying a X20 model, If hands free is not an issue the X20 could still be an excellent buy.

You will be pleased to hear, I will not be posting here again as it is clear my comments are unwelcome.
I do suggest that you need to consider what service this forum is providing to its members if we can not discuss products in an honest fashion.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uknaughtydog wrote:
You will be pleased to hear, I will not be posting here again as it is clear my comments are unwelcome.
I do suggest that you need to consider what service this forum is providing to its members if we can not discuss products in an honest fashion.

I for one shall not be pleased to hear that and would ask you to reconsider.

The forum can only work if we hear and discuss the good AND the bad points. Your comments and viewpoint is entirely welcome and whilst Shadamehr is a member whose view is as welcome as any, he does not represent the views of PocketGPSWorld.com.

It is we that provide the forum and it is we who shall dictate any limits on what can and cannot be discussed. Aside from piracy (and of course a general requirement that it surrounds GPS!) those limits are few and far between so carry on Sir Clap
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, Darren, Darren, Darren mate...

Perhaps you were having a busy day, I don't know...

BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, go back and re-read my post.

Your reply to uknaughtydog makes it far too indicative that you have read my post a million miles wrong - a million miles.

My intention was to SUPPORT uknaughtydog, to encourage him, to give him a useful pointer, in terms of my own experiences and such, to tell him what a great site this is, to specifically invite him to ask us for help, and a million more good things. Re-read and tell me those things are not in my post.

To single me out as the reason he might be leaving is grossly unfair, and a million miles wrong.

And whilst my view is exactly that - only my own, I nevertheless think that the desire to support, help, answer questions, and be of use to uknaughtydog is nevertheless an opinion the MAJORITY of this site will share - it has certainly been my own experience, and after all, that's all I ever claimed it was.

But don't think I am making this up - like I say, go re-read. But also bear in mind, that thankfully, and of course far more importantly, uknaughtydog himself has not misconstrued my post:

uknaughtydog wrote:
Hi Shadamehr

Thanks for your response. You make some valid points...

Maybe I am mis-reading YOUR message, just as much as you mis-read mine.

But it's as if your saying that if he leaves, it's down to me. And in current climes, that would be a very rough thing to infer. Like I say mate, I'm just pleased he doesn't read it that way, and instead reads the 'valid points' I raise, that he actually 'thanks me for'.

Sad
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uknaughtydog wrote:

I believe you already know that I for one will NOT be happy to see you go.

Stick with it mate - like I said in my post, the early days round here can give the wrong impression to all too many new members.

But please DO NOT leave the site - it can be highly useful, just like I said.

Indeed in your new post about sub £400 sat-navs, one person has already said there might be mileage in getting both a proper installed hands-free kit to complement a sat-nav, and that is likely good advice on that high a budget.

So stick with the site.

I don't want you to leave, hence my post to you.

But if you do leave now, it seems I will be used as the excuse for it too.

So stick with it mate - if only for me. Grins.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and uknaughtydog,

uknaughtydog wrote:
...What surprises me as a forum people seem only to hear the good things?Surely we are meant to share openly/ fully experiences to benefit other members; not dismiss fundimental product failings as acceptble.

Rest assured, we don't ALL only praise the good things about our TomTom's.

So far, on this site, I have ranted about:

...1) Quickgps download screwing my position and placing me constantly 200 yards off (hence why my first 720 was exchanged)
...2) Poor battery life from that stated. But then I realised this was due to constant Wireless Traffic connections to my phone, and using FM for voice output etc.
...3) Sluggish performance on new update
...4) Traffic Symbols not showing after new update
...5) Traffic lane Indications being clear after new update
...6) Inability to use any of my phones as a handdsfree
...7) Threat of taking them to court over the Latest Map Guarantee and issues surrounding it...

And probably loads more.

So if you want to see complaints against TomTom, stick around and just keep looking in on my posts at least. Don't you worry about that mate!

Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
Darren, Perhaps you were having a busy day, I don't know...

I was not having a go at you, simply attempting to correct any misunderstanding on uknaughtydogs part. I had hoped it was clear, if not then my apologies.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine too.

Last thing I want is for him to leave - been there myself and all that.

Wink
Asriel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, first post here.

So as far as I can tell from this thread;

1) The hardware is basically the same as the x20 series.

2) We have reliable info (from SpeedCam) that the updated IQ routing will be available pretty soon as a paid upgrade.

3) It's pretty likely that the software upgrade will be available at some point in the next few months, although probably not immediately, giving the lane separation display.

The only pricing info I have found is that Handtec have the 930 for pre-order here
http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/1042/tomtom-go-930

for £468.83 compared to £270.13 for the 920T (and Halfords have the 920T cheaper).

Somehow I doubt the software and map upgrades are going to be £200 so what would I be losing out on if I bought the x20 now.

I accept the software upgrade is not guaranteed and that there is likely to be a wait anyway, but for double the cost of the unit, it seems like you'd have to be pretty desperate to have the lane separation right now.

so;

1) Have I misunderstood?

2) Is there any precedent for making new device software available for older generations (or is this inapplicable because of hardware differences)

3) As I only need UK maps, would owning a 520 impact on the availability of map/software upgrades.

Thanks very much for reading this long post.Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have a long history of making new firmware available to older devices. However this has sometimes meant leaving out one or two features dependent on device, either because TT think the hardware isn't up to it or to set their new models apart and justify an upgrade.

The x20/x30 issue is new as we haven't until now had new models that are, software apart, identical in all other respects assuming of course that Tomtom don't have some surprises waiting for us in that regard!

I fully expect v8 to be made available for other models at some point and similarly v8 maps. When is another question and what features they may leave out is unknown as yet.

The table on this page give you an idea of how complicated the issue was of what device received which features when TomTom made v7 available to older devices!
Asriel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the reply and the link.

So bearing in mind that you expect the updates to be made available, can you think of any reason to justify the £200 difference?

I appreciate that it is an unusual situtation in that the hardware seems the same so they may be more inclined to withhold features for exactly the reason that I am enquiring about.

In terms of my third question regarding 5xx versus 7xx and 9xx, it seems the only significant difference in the features made available with v7 was that the text to speech was only available for the 910 and not the 710 and 510.

There didn't seem to be much in the way of technical differences between tham except the hard drive in the 910, so was this withheld on the other devices simply because the 910 was the premium device?

Cheers
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asriel wrote:
Thanks very much for the reply and the link.

So bearing in mind that you expect the updates to be made available, can you think of any reason to justify the £200 difference?

I appreciate that it is an unusual situtation in that the hardware seems the same so they may be more inclined to withhold features for exactly the reason that I am enquiring about.

In terms of my third question regarding 5xx versus 7xx and 9xx, it seems the only significant difference in the features made available with v7 was that the text to speech was only available for the 910 and not the 710 and 510.

There didn't seem to be much in the way of technical differences between tham except the hard drive in the 910, so was this withheld on the other devices simply because the 910 was the premium device?

Cheers

The only thing I would chip in with here, but one that however FUNDAMENTALLY negates nearly all of it alas mate...

The price stated for the units that haven't even been released yet, and don't even have a RRP let alone a real price. I would hold VERY VERY little sway in that price being based on ANYTHING other than a indicative figure for now.

Put another way, it might turn out, when they are released, to be exactly spot on. If so however, it will have absolutely ZERO to do with prior knowledge, and everything to do with pure luck. It has already been talked about elsewhere just how quite ridiculous it is for a dealer to have listed a price for a unit not yet available and before TT have even set their OWN price-point, let alone an RRP.

So take it with a massively huge does of salt mate, for sure.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asriel wrote:

An impossible question to answer without knowing exactly what is and isn't to be passed down. Assuming an upgraded x20 was identical to an x30 then no but I very much doubt TomTom will make it that easy!
Quote:

My memory isn't that good but there were a great many more differences between versions than you suggest. Wide-screen, FM Transmitters, etc etc.

Also Shad makes a good point about retail prices. At the moment any published pricing is pure speculation and street prices could well be very much less.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: