Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Talex Down Load Lead
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Talex Down Load Lead
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a15cro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Talex Down Load Lead Reply with quote

I know that the lead has been discussed before, but can anyone advise where I can pick a lead up for a Talex Lite. I thought I would give one a go running a Novex database. But did not realise that the lead was not supplied. I am sure that this is running original software and not really accurate.

Does Maplin sell such a lead?? I dont fancy trying to make one as discussed previous.
a15cro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i can confirm that Maplin does not sell a stock lead! Neither does PC world..

Please guys, any pointers will be appreciated, I am looking for a low cost solution, If I have to pay £15 + £5 p+p then I might as well have bought a brand new one.

Maybe thats what I shouldhave done in the first place!!!!!
silentwol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a guess but I'm pretty sure this will work:
Click Here

Worth a go for only 3 quid. If you get one, let us know if it works Smile

Otherwise, I could make you up a schematic for building your own, but the parts alone will cost you at least £4 and you'll need a soldering iron and half an hour of spare time...
a15cro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, its ordered. I will keep you posted on the success, if its no good I will have a bash at knocking one up with your drawaing.

Many thanks.

Andrew
silentwol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, those 4 pole 2.5mm jacks are hard to find anyway... I saw these USB cables online after making up my own cable and having paid £3.50 for the jack. So it's not a big loss if the lead doesn't work since you'll still have the jack to use.
a15cro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lead arrived today, tried the Novus Delta driver and the talex site and neither will recognise the com port, it does power the unit up but thats about it.

I have seen a thread about the lead and wiring but I can not seeem to find it now.

Any help appreciated. Smile
silentwol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a15cro, try pluging the usb cable into your computer without plugging in the talex. Does it say "New hardware detected"? It's possible that the cable requires a different driver (did one come with it?), but once installed will perform the same job.

If that's a dead end then I'll post a wiring diagram Smile
a15cro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried plugging the lead in without he unit connected. Nothing happens.

I have tried the talex updater and it will not pick up the com port.

Novus driver is the same, does not pick up the com port.

The pc also says that the usb device has malfunctioned and is not recognised.

The unit powers up via the cable, do you think the cable needs the wiring swapping?

I am quite happy to cut it up and play around.
a15cro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to access the Briskoda web site to get a drawing from there and they have not replied about my registration so I am still stuck.

Please anyone who can help with a wiring drawing for the lead. Its driving me nuts!!!!!! Laughing Out Loud Thanks
silentwol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's how to wire up your own talex cable. Before you start, make sure you have a serial port on your computer as this wont be using the usb port for data comms. The talex cable contains a serial to usb convertor inside it... to make this cheaper and much simpler, we'll just plug directly into the serial port. However (hope this isn't confusing), the serial port cannot provide any actual power (only do data comms) but the talex uses the 5V USB source to power up the device(as well as communicate over USB). So, the way I did it was to also use a USB port to take 5V power. So the two data lines from the talex plug into the serial port and the power lines plug into the usb. Or, you can plug in any 5v source you have lying around... just check it's 5v before you use it!

You'll need a voltmeter, a soldering iron, and a couple of parts:
D-Range 9 Way Plug - RK60Q
Metalise D Hood 9W - JB68Y (optional by highly recommended!)
(these are the Maplins name and code numbers... you can get the parts elsewhere but Maplins is your best bet 'walk-in' shop Smile If you're prepared to wait (and possibly pay horrfic p&p) you can buy online)

If you look carefully you'll see little numbers on the 9-way d-plug next to each connector. Here is how you need to connect everything:

Tip of plug to pin 2.
2nd from tip to pin 3.
3rd from tip to pin 5 and ground of popwer supply (USB).
base of plug to +5v of power supply (USB) - do not connect this anywhere to your serial port!
(tip is furthest from the actual wire, i.e. the very end of the plug, and base is closest to the wire).

So, I recommend you cut your USB to 2.5mm 4 port plug around half way. Then bare the wires and use your voltmeter (on continuity test/resistance mode) to find out which part of the 2.5mm 4 port plug goes to which wire. You can then solder these to your 9-way d-plug.

This just leaves the power. If you're going to use usb (you can just use the other end of your cable), then here's how I found which wire was +5V and ground (not recommended). I just beared the wires, plugged in the usb port to my computer (making SURE not to short the wires as this could blow your usb port/motherboard/whole computer Razz) and used the voltmeter in voltage mode to find which two wires produced +5V (NOT -5V). Or, if you're smart, you can use this pinout:
http://pinouts.ws/usb-pinout.html

Yours will be the cable, USB A. Hold it up so you see it like in the diagram and try wedging some wire in to touch the contacts (there're two convinient holes on my usb plug on the top) and do a continuity test to find which contact equals +5v or groud. It still might be a good idea to plug into your computer and check you have the right ones, as it's possible you'll fry the talex if you give it -5v instead of +5v Sad

Once you're done you can put on your hood and admire your work Smile Be careful none of the wires cross when you put on the hood - there isn't much space inside it. Your best to try and insulate all the wires... cover them in a little tape or use heat shrink (Maplin code BF86T... really useful stuff - just put it over your wire, heat it with the side of your soldering iron and it shrinks over so it's tight, making a perfect insulator).

Finally, don't blame me if your talex/computer blows up as a result. If you follow these instructions to the word, it (probably) wont. If you have any questions, however small, ask me first and check everything 3 times as you go along. I spent a good half hour making mine... with electronics it usually takes you twice as much time to put a mistake right than just being careful and not making one!
a15cro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, I will have a go at the weekend after visiting Maplins.

I was considering buying another Talex for my wifes car which came with an upload lead......but I love a challenge Laughing Out Loud Very Happy
a15cro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thats the lead made, seemed pretty straight forward.

Kept the original power connected to the 4 port plug as it powered the Talex up fine. Just put the other two wires as you instructed.

Only one slight snag!!!!!! My serial port on both lap tops are 15 pins!!!!! Laughing Out Loud

So I imagine I can get a converter from Maplins to allow me to use my 9 pin lead.

only realised after I had been. Idea
a15cro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok another thought

9 pin to 25 pin converter Maplins Code L74BT

That should do it?
Your thoughts please? Question
a15cro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... or change plug to 15?
silentwol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I don't think that will work. The 15 port plug on your laptop will be a printer port (named LPT1 in programs) whilst the novus program is expecting to connect to the COM port (COM1, COM2 etc in the drop down list of the novus updater).

Are you sure you don't have an old computer lying around with a 9 port serial port on it? Most desktops should have one. If yor desktop doesn't have one then try installing one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Serial-Card-PCI-2-x-9-way-D-Type-RS232_W0QQitemZ180230803895QQihZ008QQcategoryZ90717QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But then it would have been cheaper to buy a talex cable... sorry to have lead you on this wild goose chase!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: