Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 310 on motorbike
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 310 on motorbike
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloper wrote:
Is it not possible to program destinations into the Nuvi in advance, so that they can be called-up quickly when needed, say with just a couple of button (screen) presses?

Yes, definately. As bumpkin says, pre-program them as custom POIs ("Points of Interest) and name them Step1, Step2, Step3 etc... When you get to step 2, a couple of taps on the screen will bring up point 3 and you are on your way again. If it's getting late, then press "Home" and it will tell you how long to get back home again. Very Happy

You just have to hope that the route between the points is the way you want to go, it's usually pretty good. You can choose Quickest (favours main roads) or Shortest (the shortest route).

Do worry about the missus liking it or not, I can assure you that once she sees it working (and that she probably doesn't have to read a map again!), she will be sold! Laughing
Sloper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

Last edited by Sloper on Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Sloper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Sloper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have my Nuvi 310 fitted to the bike, I want to rig up a power lead. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this?

Behind my bike's headlamp mask I believe there are two electrical accessory points. One always live, and the other switched with the ignition.

My idea was to buy the car charger/power lead and then cut the cig lighter socket plug off, and wire it to the switched accessory point. Would this work ok? I've read that the large cig lighter plug contains circuitry that prevents over-charging, so I'm a bit concerned about using it without this circuitry. Does the Nuvi actually require 12v?

Or can I simply buy one of the required plugs (with lead) that fit the NUvi's power/charging socket, from the likes of Maplin?

Confused
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloper wrote:
My idea was to buy the car charger/power lead and then cut the cig lighter socket plug off, and wire it to the switched accessory point. Would this work ok? I've read that the large cig lighter plug contains circuitry that prevents over-charging, so I'm a bit concerned about using it without this circuitry. Does the Nuvi actually require 12v?

I would be very careful here - I think you are right in suspecting that what looks like a cigarette lighter plug is actually a fairly sophisticated voltage regulator.

Sorry that I can't help much more than that, I just run my Quest on batteries because they last ages. Confused
Sloper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just found that the Nuvi requires an input of 5 volts so I'd have to find a way to drop the 12 volts from the bike. Anyone know how best to do that? I know there are large resistors but I think they'd get hot?

Hmm, I haven't run my Nuvi's battery flat yet Skippy. I bet it'd be fine most of the time as I can charge it at home or in the car, but I'm doing a trip to Scotland this summer so need a way to power it or charge it.

Cheers Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just purchase a ciggy socket extension from Maplins like This One, but ask for a single outlet rather than a twin.

Insert the Nuvi car charger into the socket and this will take good care of the voltage applied to the device - DO NOT consider resistors etc, these devices need a constant regulated supply, a resistor network will never provide such a supply.

The plug end of the Maplins Extension lead should be removed and the wired attached via a fuse to the bikes electrical circuit, once it is all tested and working tape the whole lot up and bury it, take care not to impair the steering on the bike though - Mike
Sloper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an idea. Thanks Mike Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: