Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce new GO 930, 730 and 530 at CeBIT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce new GO 930, 730 and 530 at CeBIT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tel33 wrote:
Strangly enough I cant even connect to Tomtom now after I sent back another reply to the standard reply, now it wont log on, oh well seems like this buy was not a good informed choice!

Contact them by email of phone to rectify!

Forget about the HOME website and LMG. They will put the maps on your account so that you will have them when you do "update my Go"
CrispyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT One v3 was widely available for the £99 mark in the run up to Christmas last year and has crept up slightly since.
tel33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I think they can easily fob you off on email but its not so easier on the phone, I will give them a call.

If they put the maps on my account and I cant download it as I dont have enough space at this time, can I still download it when I want later on or does it download to the PC and you then put it on the 920T when you want too?

One other thing is about the external SD cards.

I found out recently that tom did an update for the 920T that allows SDHC cards to be used, I have managed to download the update ok and now my 920T can take a 2gb Sandisk III SDHC card ok, does anyone know what the maxiumum capacity SDHC card the 920T will take?

I think its 4gb for a normal SD but not so sure about the SDHC, especially if the maps get larger like they are doing so I want to make sure I get a big enough card to take all the maps I need on one card without swapping all the time.

Thanks for all you help so far, I will chase the update.

Found out why it would not connect, Zonealarm stopped it, its ok now Zonealarm has allowed it to connect now, still wont do a Map update with or without Zonealarm so I know its not that!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know users with a 920 who have 16 gig SDHC cards. But, the unit will NOT write to anything more than 4 gigs. So, you'd use Explorer, format the card to fat32, and install maps, mp3's or whatever on the card using Explorer, not TT.
tel33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I am on the phone right now to them about the maps we shall see how it goes now.

UPDATE! They are going to put it in my account for download by this Thursday apparently 06/03/08, both maps too, so its much easier and quicker to do it via the phone and the customer services person (Lorina) was very helpful and had a nice sexy voice too so that helped Wink shame she did not do a voice for the Tomtom, I would use it!

Now all I have to worry about is if it will fit on my 920T, apparently its a much bigger map, can I download it straight to the PC and not to the unit so I can put it on a card later on or will it download and install straight to the unit after its been downloaded to Tomtom Home first, could I stop it installing after the download to Tomtom Home, any ideas?

She also said the largest size card they support is 2gb, if the guy with the 16gb has a problem they wont be interested, so there you have it.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a 720 handles a 4 gig sd card without a problem. Users I referred to with a 16 gig card for their 920's include a regular user here Including Infama, who posted at the top of this page) as well as a moderator in a US TomTom forum who noted his 16 gig sd card only seemed to format to 15 gigs using Vista but, other than that, is experiencing no issues whatsoever.

Looks like Andy_P2002 is going to have to send another of his missives to TomTom to let them know how their products work! Wink
tel33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good news, I will go for a 8gb anyway, can always use it for my camera if need be and I need a larger card.

About the download, will the maps be loaded to the internal memory or can they be loaded to the external memory and will the 920 see the maps if they are on the external card?

Still not sure on how to download it to be honest, I dont want it to screw up halfway and I lose the map and the device, I will back it up first!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:

Looks like Andy_P2002 is going to have to send another of his missives to TomTom to let them know how their products work! Wink

Shame... I'd already looked Laughing , but the only page I can find on the TT website so far is this one

I've waved it at them before when "support" told someone that the 720 couldn't use SDHC, but it doesn't actually mention anything about SIZES at all. They certainly don't mention 2GB as a maximum (and the map example they use is bigger than 2GB Wink ), but they don't mention ANY maximum size, which they should really do.

AS for the download, tel33, you need to have your Go connected to the PC for the whole process, which CAN take several hours.

If I remember correctly, I was quite pleasantly surprised how well "Home" took me through the process of deciding where to store the new map (internal or SD card), and offered to lead me through the process of removing items if I wanted to put it somewhere where there wasn't enough room.
(See, I CAN be nice about Home when it works well Laughing )
tel33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, have ordered a 4gb class 6 sdhc card, that should be big enough for now with one map on internal and the other on external 4gb card unless of course I can get both on the internal one Laughing
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm if Navcore 8 fixes the RDS-TMC 1 minute delay issue?

This explains why we have been waiting since November for a fix - all developement has been on Navcore 8!

I see that the 930T comes with a new style USB RDS-TMC antenna - does anyone know if these will work on x20s after Navcore 8 is released for them, or if they will be x30 only?

Andy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's way to early to know, we won't get review units for a few weeks yet. Similarly we don;t have information on the RDS-TMC unit but i suspect it will be backwards compatible with v7 devices, possibly even devices that were not designed originally with RDS-TMC support.
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tel33 wrote:
Thanks for that, I think they can easily fob you off on email but its not so easier on the phone, I will give them a call.

If they put the maps on my account and I cant download it as I dont have enough space at this time, can I still download it when I want later on or does it download to the PC and you then put it on the 920T when you want too?

One other thing is about the external SD cards.

I found out recently that tom did an update for the 920T that allows SDHC cards to be used, I have managed to download the update ok and now my 920T can take a 2gb Sandisk III SDHC card ok, does anyone know what the maxiumum capacity SDHC card the 920T will take?

I think its 4gb for a normal SD but not so sure about the SDHC, especially if the maps get larger like they are doing so I want to make sure I get a big enough card to take all the maps I need on one card without swapping all the time.

Thanks for all you help so far, I will chase the update.

Found out why it would not connect, Zonealarm stopped it, its ok now Zonealarm has allowed it to connect now, still wont do a Map update with or without Zonealarm so I know its not that!

I have a Sandisk Ultra II 4gb sdhc card and it works perfectly for reading and writing! My 8gb toshiba and 16gb A-data cards only work for reading.
Targonis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Any word on PDA versions? Reply with quote

I know this is a bit off topic, but with these new features that are going to be released, I would love to know if I should just give up on my PDA version of Tomtom and buy one of the new Tomtom models when they come out.
flyguy26e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Any word on PDA versions? Reply with quote

Targonis wrote:
I know this is a bit off topic, but with these new features that are going to be released, I would love to know if I should just give up on my PDA version of Tomtom and buy one of the new Tomtom models when they come out.

I used an HP 2215 with version 4,5, and 6. It wasn't supported for version 6, so a new PDA was needed for version 7 and since I don't need another PDA for anything else, I got a 920. After 4000 miles of use, it's clearly an easier to use, more capable unit; and overall, a much more elegant solution. I wouldn't consider going back a to PDA.

I use it about 10,000 miles a year, so I decided to get the top of the line (except the traffic receiver - rarely in cities that support it).
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tel33 wrote:

The 520,720 and 920 have always been able to use SDHC cards straight out of the box, so I don't know what this update you mention was. (can you tell us?)

4GB is the largest that the x20 models will use without any issues, but you can use 8GB or 16GB SDHC for read only (you have to use an SDHC compatible card reader to get the data onto the card.

Several topics in this forum describe the process.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: