Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Switching from TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Switching from TomTom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Switching from TomTom Reply with quote

I'm thinking of switching from TomTom3 to Mapopolis. I've just recently bought TT3 and their database is screwed. Major towns like High Wycombe and Scarborough are missing out of the GB map database (they're there but you can't enter them in the city field) but there in the Major Roads of Eurpoe database BUT other smaller towns such as Whitby and Filey (both local to me) are still missing.

I'm looking at getting a refund on the TT3 as I work as a HGV driver and the solutions offered in the TT3 forum such as putting in a postcode or county are not good enough for me as I rarely get a postcode and common names such as High St can have dozens in a particular county. TomTom it would appear have a 3 monkeys approach to customer support as missing towns was a problem in TT2 and they've actually managed to make it WORSE.

I've given Mapopolis a quick demo. THe one thing that annoys me is the timing of the voice announcements. TT3's are just about spot on. Would any of you knowledgeable people care to share some of the timing settings for voice announcements that you've tried?

Fortunately Mapopolis is charged in USD so the exchange rate means it costs us just over £60 for the top version. Also you pay via PayPal and I've a nice amount sat there for E-Bay so money wise, it wins on both counts.

Comments/suggestions gratefully accepted.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can specify yourself when and at waht intervals the messages should come. I have set it to 25 and 20 seconds, so you basically get alerted 25 and 5 seconds before the maneuver.

Tools...Settings..Navigation options...voice prompts

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THats how you do it....

Cheers.
Rolling Eyes
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the latest version of Mapopolis sorted out the issues which were highlighted in the PocketGPS review (Roundabouts, gaps in map data etc)? If so, it would appear that purchase of Mapopolis is a better option than upgrading my current version of TomTom2
Robin
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sort of. Most of the maps are now complete. There were one or two hickups with strange routings, but these were rare. Best if you download the map for your area and verify a few routes.

Don't expect the Usability of TomTom. Mapopolis is more for the geeks (i love it 8) )

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Mapopolis sell Europe maps on CD? I don't have broadband at this location, so it is not feasible to download large numbers of maps using my dial-up connection. Looking at their web site, I can only find the CD for North America
Robin
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't need broadband for their maps - they are pretty small, because they come by county

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Don't expect the Usability of TomTom. Mapopolis is more for the geeks (i love it 8) )

To be perfectly honest, at the moment TomTom 3 is far from usable for me and many people. If the town I want isn't in their city name database then I'm supposed to use the postcode (zip code) or county name.

Do you know the ZIP codes for every town in the US? If you take a common name street such as "Main St" for example, how many Main Streets would it return for somewhere like Texas? Sure it'd show the ZIP codes next to it but they're meaningless.

This is the problem we have with TT3 in the UK. One of the towns they've missed is a major one under 25 miles outside of London!!!! Some of them in South England appear under Wales' untiary authority area.

I've used Linux a fair bit. I'm used to having to think for myself in respect to GUIs so I'm not having much of an issue with Mapopolis save the tweaking. 3D mapping isn't for me. Just wish they could sort out Captain Borings voice.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here you may be wrong... Because the term "town" doesn't have a meaning here (especially in the area around big conglomerates like Houston that easily spread about 150 miles in diameter) you do invariably end up asking your self "now, where is that bloody street" and the only meaningful differentiator may be the zip code. Town names can change in the middle of a street, the zip code is the only real identifier.

Usability is not about existing or missing data. It is about intuitiveness, number of taps to complete an action, and the option to chicken out (to revert actions) when you are unsure. Mapopolis needs on average the double amount of taps to complete the same action as TomTom.

On a side note I also found the cultural aspect of usability to be very interesting - americans are used to map displays with bare lines. Europeans would not feel comforatable with that, they need "real" streets with outlines. If you compare the screen rendering you will understand what I mean. So whenever we talk about usability let's make sure we agree on what we are talking about ;-)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear the cultural aspect also applies to the way we look for a place as well.

At least your comments about towns have explained something to me that TomTom support couldn't.

THanks.
MickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just jumped over from Navman to Mapopolis. I had V1.91 and didn't upgrade to V2 because of the high asking price and TeleAtlas maps.

I've found the Mapopolis app to be very stable, easy and quick to use. e.g. to route to a 'favourite' location requires one button press and one stylus tap.

The GUI is very responsive and I found the map graphics better than the Navman display - not as 'pretty' but much more informative.

Their support team are quick to respond to questions and I also like their business model. i.e. free app and 6 monthly map updates from NavTech.

Try out the demo - you've nothing to lose. Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: